Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30W LED GU10 for EUR 2: eurogeneral

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

YanisK wrote: »
    You can always get the adaptors from IKEA ;)

B22 to E27 http://bit.ly/1YUcftJ
    B15 to E14 http://bit.ly/1YUciWl

+1

I replaced a load of the old style bayonet bulbs with Ikea LED bulbs and those B22 to E27 adapters.
    The IKEA 400lm LED lights are bright enough to compare to an old style 100w bulb.

Bulbs were around €6 for a twin pack of 400lm, and a twin pack of converters were around €1.50. So under €5 per bulb.

We'll be getting a BER cert in a month or two, so it certainly won't hurt to convert to LED beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

fleet wrote: »
    Depends on the person.

I for one would hate to spend any length of time in a place lit by a cheap CFL or LED. Harsh, flickering light that lends a depressing blue hue to everything. My mothers house reminds me of a petrol station at night...

Go to a decent electrical wholesalers like Eurosales that literally have every single bulb that Phillips produce. I think Eurosales alone have 4/5 different shades of "white" LEDs. If you dont like the tone of "white", there is plenty of options if you are willing to spend slightly more

These ones are excellent and can match any tone of halogen bulbs you have

http://www.eurosales.ie/products/id-1745.html?filter_set%5B0%5D=1654&

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The bayonet to edison adapters are a must if you're going to modern generation bulbs of any kind - bayonet fittings are used in so few countries all we get is dearer, previous generation tech usually.

Both connectors are crap but its marginally harder to shock yourself on an Edison, but yet far more likely to have an Edison fall out due to vibrations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

LordSutch wrote: »
    They have a bay full of LED bulbs in Lidl out on 'special' today, problem is (apart from the GU10s) they're all screw type LED bulbs, which is hopeless for most homes I guess? All our fittings are bayonet type . . . must pop up to Woodies to see what they have.

PS; LED bulbs should always be 2700 Kelvin in the home (warm), this means that they are nearly identical in warmth to your old bulbs/halogens. I have found that LEDs with a Kelvin value of 3000 & above are too intense, too hard on the eyes.

Have several failed es bulbs from lidl since October keep the receipt if you're getting them, pure ****e virtually no thermal design gone into them and a very basic flickery voltage dropper no better than Chinese stuff. Have a Philips one thats done about 50000 hours in the same fitting and is still going strong when I moved it to the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dealz have bayonet ones, but they're very low equivalent wattage (20w equivalent)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Dealz have bayonet ones, but they're very low equivalent wattage (20w equivalent)

Dealz is great, I shop there regularly... for stuff like pens, dates, and chocolate brazil nuts....

... but an IKEA/Philips LED bulb costs €5-10 and lasts until at least 2026... don't deprive your eyes of some decent light for a decade for the sake of the price of a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

If anyone has 50w halogens they've replaced I'd be happy to collect. Thankyou.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

fleet wrote: »
    Dealz is great, I shop there regularly... for stuff like pens, dates, and chocolate brazil nuts....

... but an IKEA/Philips LED bulb costs €5-10 and lasts until at least 2026... don't deprive your eyes of some decent light for a decade for the sake of the price of a pint!

I'm not suggesting anyone replace a 60w bulb with a 20w equivelant.

FWIW, I've put the screw-in ones from dealz into a few lamps in the house and they're grand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Is 300 lumens even bright enough to read by?
    I bought a few of the original bulbs from post 1 - with the intention of putting them in bedside lights- however, while they're fine for getting up during the night to go to the loo or whatever- they're nowhere near sufficient for reading purposes..........

Is 300 lumens even bright enough to read by?
    I bought a few of the original bulbs from post 1 - with the intention of putting them in bedside lights- however, while they're fine for getting up during the night to go to the loo or whatever- they're nowhere near sufficient for reading purposes..........

How long is a piece if string, 300lumens per square meter is recommended minimum for casual reading. So might be fine in a reading lamp. But in a 3m x 4m room you'd need 12 of those as ceiling lights to make up reading light levels. You shouldn't be relying on general lighting for reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

I have 4 of these Robus Gu10 3.5w 275lm bulbs in a 3m x 3m snug area (of a larger room, 18 in total in 5m x 7m room). It's easily bright enough to read, but yes a reading light would be nicer.

positron wrote: »
    I have 4 of these Robus Gu10 3.5w 275lm bulbs in a 3m x 3m snug area (of a larger room, 18 in total in 5m x 7m room). It's easily bright enough to read, but yes a reading light would be nicer.

Works out at around 140 lux in the room thats actually pretty bright by Irish standards, since the advent of cheap cfls irish homes have been more like 50-100 lux. Its probably plenty if you're not doing hours of reading and don't also spend the day in front of a computer / doing office work etc. A decent reading light really helps to reduce eye strain but in the bedroom situation you also have to balance the effect of bright lights on sleep.

Advertisement