Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30W LED GU10 for EUR 2: eurogeneral

Options
  • 24-01-2015 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Was searching for some cheap LED lights.
    Bought one for EUR 9 from Woodies (50W) couple of days back.

Went to Eurogeneral at Liver park and they are selling GU 10 (30W) for EUR 2.
    Looks like a good deal; haven't seen them anywhere cheaper.
    rating: "A" as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

i doubt they're leds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Think I saw them a couple of weeks ago in eurosavers something like 24-30 discrete throughole leds probably well under 200 lumens and a capacitive dropper circuit. Buy cheap, buy twice or in the case of led lamps 3//5/6/7/8/9... times.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭suave.4u

exaisle wrote: »
    i doubt they're leds

They are LEDs..A rating

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭suave.4u

moodrater wrote: »
    Think I saw them a couple of weeks ago in eurosavers something like 24-30 discrete throughole leds probably well under 200 lumens and a capacitive dropper circuit. Buy cheap, buy twice or in the case of led lamps 3//5/6/7/8/9... times.
    I do not understand. Are you saying they are good or are they waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

He's saying they're low powered and not made to last, so you'd be better spending a little more on decent ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭cletus

suave.4u wrote: »
    I do not understand. Are you saying they are good or are they waste?

He's saying they are a waste, poor light output, poor angle of light, cheap components. All leds are not created equal

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are either not LED or not 30w

They may be claiming to be equivalent to a 30w Halogen in which case they're almost certainly going to be a marked downgrade in light level (and quality) from whatever you're used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

If people are looking for LED lights and I know this isnt exactly a BA but I cant recommend this crowd in the UK enough regarding LED lights. In my view it is a BA when you get a really good product. Apologies if this is against charter or anything

https://well-lit.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

Every time I see an L.E.D thread, I sigh at the fact I haven't swapped my GU10 halogens over yet. I'm still stupidly holding out for the Philips Master to hit a fiver a pop, then I'm gonna get 40 and be done with it.

That said, the halogens are so inefficient and emit so much heat, I don't need to use any radiators, when its cold, I just turn on all the lights :D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dubsuperstar

Id avoid buying bulbs from cheap stores. I bought some cheap bulbs to try out and one exploded/shattered all over the place last week.

• Advertisement

Took a look at these again today 30 led 1.8w they make no claims at all about light output, colour temperature, cri, angle, wattage equivalent. etc. Look like the cheap chinese ones from about 4 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭KaaaaaaPOW

Took a look at these again today 30 led 1.8w they make no claims at all about light output, colour temperature, cri, angle, wattage equivalent. etc. Look like the cheap chinese ones from about 4 years ago.

What lights u recommend?

KaaaaaaPOW wrote: »
    What lights u recommend?

For gu10 I don't think you can beat the ikea family offer €4.50 for a dimmable 400lm bulb.

Online I think the non dimmable integral bulbs that won the which best buy last august are a fairly good bet too. 10 pack works out about €6 each delivered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-ILGU105-3N03KBENF-GU10-Spotlight-White/dp/B00MA7Y03O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424173000&sr=8-1&keywords=ILGU105.3N03KBDNF

http://www.bfmmagazine.co.uk/integral-led-spotlight-wins-which-best-buy/

Those have a 3 year warranty and integral are around a long time, my first pc had integral ram about 22 years ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They are 30 LED , 1.8W / 12V MR16

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are 30 LED , 1.8W / 12V MR16

Junk then

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dubsuperstar

For gu10 I don't think you can beat the ikea family offer €4.50 for a dimmable 400lm bulb.

Are those IKEA bulbs still available for 4.50. They are 6.00 on the website and not showing as part of the IKEA family offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Are those IKEA bulbs still available for 4.50. They are 6.00 on the website and not showing as part of the IKEA family offer.

Still showing for me here:
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/store/dublin/ikea_family
    Replaced the 50w halogens in kitchen with these. For a led bulb they're very good; brighter than 50w they replaced and very nice (not blue) light. Cons would be the back of the bulb is white so if you can see them like in my light fittings it doesn't look as nice and as usual with led's the light is more directional (not as wide) and a bit less natural than a halogen bulb. However if you want led's I doubt you'll find any better at this price, especially dimmable ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I thought I'd stick this here rather than start a new thread..

Picked up a few of these in Homebase Ballymun this week

they were €2.05 each
    373148.jpg

They may be all gone as they were selling fast..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

I saw these TCP dimmable LED GU10 220lm, 5W - 35W output - but packs of two - in Hombase Drogheda with a price tag of 0.5 cents marked as 'clearance'. I grabbed three (six GU10 bulbs in total) and went to the cashier - she said they are 2.75 each. I mentioned how the label said "was 2.75, now 0.05". She gets someone to check who comes back saying they are 1.05 each. I said fine, I can live with that. She puts them thru and the total was ... €2.40!!

You couldn't make this up!! They just don't know what they are doing up there!!

I am not complaining, I got GU10's for 40c each. I was back there yesterday and someone has emptied the entire section. I should've bought more. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Invincible

Are they dimmable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Invincible wrote: »
    Are they dimmable?

The label in the picture does claim that they are.
    Bottom left hand corner.

Reverse reverse... Apologies.. positrons bargain bulbs sound like a different model if they are 220 lumens rather than the 300+ in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

As previous poster mentioned, the ikea offering are excellent. Iswapped over all mine a few months back and they are great value. A fiver each. And dimmable.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/light-bulbs-accessories/ledare-led-bulb-gu10-400-lumen-dimmable-art-30304651/

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Bought a bunch of expensive 4 and 5 watt Philips 240V GU10 LEDs a few years ago.
    They are great, at least as bright as the no name 50W halogens.

Then went to IKEA a few weeks ago and picked up a 6W GU10 (not 100% sure of the power, their most powerful anyhow) to test.
    It's amazing, beautiful warm but powerful light off it, even more light than the Philips, would suit anywhere but a kitchen counter (where a whiter light works best).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭yannakis

Spending money on light bulbs for anything but reading lights isn't that wise I think..

I usually buy them from ebay, something like 10 for 7 pounds. 1-2 might be broken on arrival if not packed well and the seller will refund the equivalent. Found the email: last time I ordered 10 40W & 10 60W bulbs was in March 2013 and I still have 4 & 5 left respectively.

Probably, meanwhile, I've spent €2 more in electricity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I picked up a 3 pack of Philips bayonet cap led bulbs in woodies for €15. They have screw cap too.
    Instant light, unlike those stupid cfl energy bulbs, bright light too.
    I'm not sure of the specs but I'm going buying a few more at the weekend. For €5 per bulb it's not bad value.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

YanisK wrote: »
    Spending money on light bulbs for anything but reading lights isn't that wise I think..

Depends on the person.

I for one would hate to spend any length of time in a place lit by a cheap CFL or LED. Harsh, flickering light that lends a depressing blue hue to everything. My mothers house reminds me of a petrol station at night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

fleet wrote: »
    Depends on the person.

I for one would hate to spend any length of time in a place lit by a cheap CFL or LED. Harsh, flickering light that lends a depressing blue hue to everything. My mothers house reminds me of a petrol station at night...

Agreed, nothing worse that a badly, or cheaply lit home.
    We converted every light in the house to LED earlier this year but got decent ones. Nice warm light and already a noticeable difference in the electric bills.

fleet wrote: »
    Depends on the person.

Can someone really buy what you just described? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

They have a bay full of LED bulbs in Lidl out on 'special' today, problem is (apart from the GU10s) they're all screw type LED bulbs, which is hopeless for most homes I guess? All our fittings are bayonet type . . . must pop up to Woodies to see what they have.

PS; LED bulbs should always be 2700 Kelvin in the home (warm), this means that they are nearly identical in warmth to your old bulbs/halogens. I have found that LEDs with a Kelvin value of 3000 & above are too intense, too hard on the eyes.

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    problem is (apart from the GU10s) they're all screw type LED bulbs, which is hopeless for most homes I guess?

You can always get the adaptors from IKEA ;)

B22 to E27 http://bit.ly/1YUcftJ
    B15 to E14 http://bit.ly/1YUciWl

Advertisement