Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Bullocks wrote: »
    I can never understand how dear calves go but by god they do

Lads do go mad bidding in the ring. I have a lad who buys an odd strong calf in the marts for me for smallish money so it suits. The type that are 3wks on card but really 3mts!!

mf240 wrote: »
    Lads on done deal do be bulling.

Seen two adds today. One with good lumps year and half for 750. Next add 5mts old 650. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

I have 13 calves and they are currently on a diet of fresh grass and a kilo of nuts called wean and build. they age from 3 months to 4 n half months. I have being buying bags for last while but going to buy half ton bags nxt week any ideas what ration to give thwm? I have 6 friesins 6 angus and 1 bb. all bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

You want something with reasonably high protein to build frame. Something in the 16%+ range

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

You want something with reasonably high protein to build frame. Something in the 16%+ range

16% would be the minium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Reggie. wrote: »
    16% would be the minium
    Yep. Wean 'n' Build is a Glanbia nut. Works really well whenever I used it on similar stock.

how much are we talkin per half ton bag?

what kinda prices for andll calves at th minute 3/4 weeks old and is their may in marts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

marathon wrote: »
    what kinda prices for andll calves at th minute 3/4 weeks old and is their may in marts
    I don't know mart prices at present as I seldom attend due to the fact that most marts are "controlled" by dealers :mad:
    I have been buying a few suck calves from local dairy farmers in the last few weeks to rear on.
    Paying €135 (average) for 10 day to 2 week old AAx/HEx bulls and €65 for nice type Friesians.
    I seldom buy heifer calves unless they are potential replacements to the suckler herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,201 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    I don't know mart prices at present as I seldom attend due to the fact that most marts are "controlled" by dealers :mad:
    I have been buying a few suck calves from local dairy farmers in the last few weeks to rear on.
    Paying €135 (average) for 10 day to 2 week old AAx/HEx bulls and €65 for nice type Friesians.
    I seldom buy heifer calves unless they are potential replacements to the suckler herd.
    you are buying cheap:)
    180 here for aa bulls and 80 for fr bulls and at that I felt I was being done

• Advertisement

There is value in them BP. will be on the hunt mid nov and will do well to sourse at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

They sound v cheap to me. I expect the dairy calf market to be strong next yr with all this talk of supermarkets now looking for handy sized steaks from fr/aa/he rather than the big u grading continentals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

They sound v cheap to me. I expect the dairy calf market to be strong next yr with all this talk of supermarkets now looking for handy sized steaks from fr/aa/he rather than the big u grading continentals

They are talking about these sized steaks for awhile now but yet the mart will go mad for big continental weanlings all the same .
    I think there is neither sense nor reason to calf prices the past couple of years . I think BP's price is some way realistic towards leaving a profit and she knows well that there ain't no point paying anymore unless she wants them for petting or looking at !

any prices for fr bulls?

whelan2 wrote: »
    any prices for fr bulls?

How many have ya?

How many have ya?
    1 :D

1 :D

I'll join the queue!

spoke with a lad who was at Ardee mart today, about 30 calves. fr bulls from 50 to 130 euro. bb to 390. aaf to 180 and aa bulls a bit more

spoke with a lad who was at Ardee mart today, about 30 calves. fr bulls from 50 to 130 euro. bb to 390. aaf to 180 and aa bulls a bit more

Bit mad for the BB

Reggie. wrote: »
    Bit mad for the BB
    fools and their money are easily parted, it must have been a big enough calf and the sfp must have been burning a hole in his pocket

• Advertisement

what are fr bull calves bringing at the min? 2 - 4 weeks old

what are fr bull calves bringing at the min? 2 - 4 weeks old
    85 for 2 week old fr bull ex yard

sounds like good price

sounds like good price
    was a good calf on cow

I was talkin to a guy this evening he said he payed 200 for a fr that cant be right

I was talkin to a guy this evening he said he payed 200 for a fr that cant be right

Well if he wanted to be rid of the 200 he could have

it was bit much I taut

what age?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

what would 5/6 month old frisian bull calves making?

• Advertisement

5 weeks

Advertisement