Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide - Getting the most out of your high speed Virgin Media (UPC) 240mb/s service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

Hi All,

just a word of thanks, I found my wireless signal was getting progressively worse, I bought a new wireless router and I'm back loving the internet connection all around the house again. Bought a Linksys and very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DazzaMazza

I've been running my EPC3925 in bridged mode for about 18 months now (its signal is awful).
    Today I notice that Virgin have disabled bridge mode on the router (probably pushed out a new firmware)
    Even when I go to the management setting and set it to bridged, it defauts back to router!!
    This is nuts, why do this?

Any work arounds. Will Virgin even entertain a call for support on Bridging?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Your joking me?

Bridge mode gone?

Will I lose connectivity while my Asus router is still in the loop?

I've still got connectivity now. is it just a matter of time before the firmware downloads or will it only happen on a reboot of the EPC3925?

This is ridiculous. If anything, bridge mode reduces support calls. Ever since I bridged the ASUS I've had 3 years of 24/7/365 of full rated speed with zero connection drops. zero!! Anyone who's heard of bridge mode is the type of person capable of diagnosing issues themselves and who understands how it's not supported. Allowing bridge mode for those who specifically request it costs Virgin nothing but it creates knowledgable folk with smooth running connections who sing the praises of the fastest domestic service in Ireland. I understand maybe about disabling it for the vast majority of customers but it should be like the IPv4/IPv6 whereupon request they'll move you back onto IPv4 while still migrating everyone else it doesn't affect to IPv6.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think it only kicks in when you restart your router. Mines on a UPS so hopefully it'll survive without needing a reboot until they (hopefully) see sense and reinstate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

Pardon my ignorance, if Virgin disable Bridge mode, what affect will this have, will it effect online gaming only or other web access

I have Archer c8 router cabled to the Virgin modem

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 DazzaMazza

IF you have a second router connected to your virgin router then your virgin router is most likely in bridged mode.

Assuming that the update is deliberate, your routers firmware will be updated, removing the bridging capability, thus making a second router redundant unless you double NAT etc

This means you will have to re-enable wireless on the virgin router uless you intend to double NAT etc.

Don't reatart your modem for the time being, hopefully they will see sense and remove this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

DazzaMazza wrote: »
    Assuming that the update is deliberate, your routers firmware will be updated, ..
    People have reported no change in firmware version after the change. Chances are it's being done by means of the "cable modem configuration file" that's downloaded when the modem boots. It's a 5 minute change for them to roll this back if they choose to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

DazzaMazza wrote: »
    IF you have a second router connected to your virgin router then your virgin router is most likely in bridged mode.

Only if they went to the trouble of putting it in bridge mode

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭micks_address

Only if they went to the trouble of putting it in bridge mode

Ok I've lost my bridge mode so at moment my Asus r66 is not working properly.. It says I've ip conflict when I try to connect.. I changed the ip of the Asus to 192.168.1.100 and the dhcp on the Asus to serve ips from 192.168.1.101 to 200

Reboot and still no joy.. What do I need to set on the Asus so it will serve wireless connections and ip to my devices?
    Cheers
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JoeMcD36

2 questions.
    I'm not good techncially

I just bought a C8

1. Does this change where Virgin doesn't allow Bridging mean I've wasted my money?
    My use case is to improve my wireless speeds from various devices in various rooms in the house

2. If not, can someone help me with step 6 from bk's original post.
    How do I change the router to issue these IP addresses in the range.
    I'm going to need very clear instructions I think

Thanks for any help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Whats the current situation on the bridging mode? Has anyone actually contacted UPC and received any type of helpful reply?

I have a router bridged and still working.
    UPC router was rebooted yesterday and bridge is still working for me, for now at least. However if this does happen, then it will most definitely make me look to alternative broadband suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

biebiebie wrote: »
    Whats the current situation on the bridging mode? Has anyone actually contacted UPC and received any type of helpful reply?

I have a router bridged and still working.
    UPC router was rebooted yesterday and bridge is still working for me, for now at least. However if this does happen, then it will most definitely make me look to alternative broadband suppliers.

Sorted
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057514734

in other news:
    9cec098656cb8baa93eec68c8c3bae96.jpg

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭feartheclaw

What's the best channel to use for the 5ghz frequency? Or does it depend on nearby users?

Ta
    ftc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

What's the best channel to use for the 5ghz frequency? Or does it depend on nearby users?

Ta
    ftc
    I think i leave mine on auto and it's fine for me.

Ta
    ftc

5ghz doesn't penetrate walls and obstacles very well, doubt you'll be able to see your neighbours network so little chance of interference from them unlike 2.4ghz

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PaulClondalkin

Have just signed up to Virgin Media broadband. Just wondering does it improve the Wifi signal if you put the Virgin Media modem router in modem mode and use a separate router such as the TP Link Archer C9?

Have just signed up to Virgin Media broadband. Just wondering does it improve the Wifi signal if you put the Virgin Media modem router in modem mode and use a separate router such as the TP Link Archer C9?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dsagra

I don't think you can put new Virgin Media routers (Ubee, Technicolor, etc) in Bridge/Modem mode, unfortunately.

If your main concern is wifi signal, best thing is to turn off VM's router wifi and use your own access point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

I have the technicolor and can't out it in bridge mode but I use the c9 in conjunction with the router... WiFi strength and speed 1000% better with c9 and yes I meant 100 :)

dsagra wrote: »
    I don't think you can put new Virgin Media routers (Ubee, Technicolor, etc) in Bridge/Modem mode, unfortunately.

If your main concern is wifi signal, best thing is to turn off VM's router wifi and use your own access point.

Many thanks for the advice. Modem arrived from Virgin Media on Friday (it's a Technicolor TC7200 modem/router) and all seems to be working fine. Sorry for the newbie question but in your reply am I correct in understanding 'use your own access point' to mean switch off the routing functionality in the Technicolor and instead hook up a 'better' router to transmit the Wifi signal around the house? Thanks in advance.

dpjmie wrote: »
    I have the technicolor and can't out it in bridge mode but I use the c9 in conjunction with the router... WiFi strength and speed 1000% better with c9 and yes I meant 100 :)

Thanks a lot for reply. Does that mean you're using the Technicolor as your modem and the C9 as your router?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

I have just connected my TP Link (Many many thanks to Dave M for all his help) to my Technicolour Router. What really Bugs me it the absolute poor quality of the WiFi on all the Virgin Media Modems. My modem is located in my Comm's room, which unfortunately is a solid walled room and the WiFi was so bad that my connection would drop, or appear to drop, every day.

Well last night my first speed test with the Archer was 240 down and 24 up, second was 160 and 24 and third was 145 and 24. More than happy with this now.

My one question to all the Techies is this....... Am I now Double Natting and if I am what is this and what problems will it give me?

Once again many thanks to @dpjmie Dave your a star!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have just connected my TP Link (Many many thanks to Dave M for all his help) to my Technicolour Router. What really Bugs me it the absolute poor quality of the WiFi on all the Virgin Media Modems. My modem is located in my Comm's room, which unfortunately is a solid walled room and the WiFi was so bad that my connection would drop, or appear to drop, every day.

Well last night my first speed test with the Archer was 240 down and 24 up, second was 160 and 24 and third was 145 and 24. More than happy with this now.

My one question to all the Techies is this....... Am I now Double Natting and if I am what is this and what problems will it give me?

Once again many thanks to @dpjmie Dave your a star!

I have "double natted" for years without any problems ..... even 'triple natted' at times.
    :)

Thanks a lot for reply. Does that mean you're using the Technicolor as your modem and the C9 as your router?

He is.... We are! Trust Me is is a million times better. My Wifi now works in the Garden, let alone at the back on my House and I get way better speeds.

I was sent instructions on how to set up the modem and router, but I plugged it all in and Hey Presto it worked out of the Box. The only settings I needed to change on the VM box was switching off WiFi and DHCP.

I have "double natted" for years without any problems ..... even 'triple natted' at times.
    :)

It plays hell with online games on consoles, Skype etc. Fine for browsing or if you have no services you connect to while out and about.

It plays hell with online games on consoles, Skype etc. Fine for browsing or if you have no services you connect to while out and about.

Oh No!

Skype is what we use for Parents and I eventually would like to connect to my Server and My Rako Automated Lighting.

Oh No!

Skype is what we use for Parents and I eventually would like to connect to my Server and My Rako Automated Lighting.

Skype and consoles use universal plug and play (uPnP). This is where the router allows it negotiate and open it's own port which is pointless if it's behind a second NAT and firewall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 depps

Hi I was wondering if anybody could help with an issue I am having with the Archer C8?

I set everything up a couple of weeks ago using the instructions given here and at first everything was working perfectly but after about a week the 2.4ghz network stopped working properly - devices can connect to it but the internet access through the connection is dropping every 5 minutes or so.

I have reset the modem (UPC Technicolor) back to factory defaults and re-installed the Archer C8 today but it seem to have acctually made everything worse

Advertisement