Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Festival of Music & Food (Formely Westport Festival)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

I think the fact the forecast for the weekend isn't very good probably impacted the decision too, a sunny weekend would have bumped numbers significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

"We're currently in discussions with some of our acts about performing in an alternative indoor venue over the weekend. We will announce asap"

Apparently they have only sold 1500 tickets so that could easily move to the INEC but would people want their money back and how could you sell any new tickets in time......... Will be interesting to see if they can get that to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I just heard... I am/was supposed to be going there this weekend against my better judgement.
    A friend of mine is home from living abroad, and he wanted to go to it, as it seemed the only thing on, with the exception of a few small festivals in Kilkenny and Drogheda Samba Festival.

Luckily I haven't purchased a ticket, but he has three, I was supposed to get mine this week. I hadn't confirmed I was able to go.

Out of curiosity, who's idea was it to move it from Westport? It was doing okay there, and it's not renowned for ripping people off..

It really seems like it was taken over by people who had no idea what they were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Allyall wrote: »
    I just heard... I am/was supposed to be going there this weekend against my better judgement.
    A friend of mine is home from living abroad, and he wanted to go to it, as it seemed the only thing on, with the exception of a few small festivals in Kilkenny and Drogheda Samba Festival.

Luckily I haven't purchased a ticket, but he has three, I was supposed to get mine this week. I hadn't confirmed I was able to go.

Out of curiosity, who's idea was it to move it from Westport? It was doing okay there, and it's not renowned for ripping people off..

It really seems like it was taken over by people who had no idea what they were doing.

It just about broken even in Westport but rental costs went up so decisioon was made to move it. (so I was told)

McLoughlin wrote: »
    It just about broken even in Westport but rental costs went up so decisioon was made to move it. (so I was told)

It seems weird that they would move it to Killarney though, does it not?
    Unless Killarney Coco or whoever, were offering to partially fund it.
    Also, it was very, very poorly advertised.

That aside, I wouldn't be fond of going to Killarney off peak, but at the end of June, to a festival? I was only going because of my friend.

I feel bad for everyone involved in it tbh, but it does seem like a lot of obvious mistakes were made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

It seems weird that they would move it to Killarney though, does it not?
    Unless Killarney Coco or whoever, were offering to partially fund it.
    Also, it was very, very poorly advertised.

That aside, I wouldn't be fond of going to Killarney off peak, but at the end of June, to a festival? I was only going because of my friend.

I feel bad for everyone involved in it tbh, but it does seem like a lot of obvious mistakes were made.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20210%3Afestival-may-not-return-in-2015&catid=23%3Anews&Itemid=46 about westport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

This is so disappointing but not surprising- I thought the Westport Festival really had something going on the last few years- pity they changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I got to say good riddance,

Pulled it from westport alienating the loyal goers it had brought up there, i dunno what the ins and out of the issues the promotor and the town had but it never shed the promotor in a good light. They were essentially starting from scratch again in killarney to build its product but in a now more saturated festival market than when westport began a few years ago.

The crowdfunding for a new bands stage was a shocking stunt to pull just when you thought the lowballing smaller irish bands at irish festivals couldn't get any worse.

Deciding on an actual venue in until they eventually pick the obvious choice the Demense didn't instill confidence. It could have been plonked on some football pitch for all people knew until they announced where it was going to be.

It was too much of a shot in the dark for people with many other options around, hence it didn't sell well.

I just noticed it's over in this thread too - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055422803&page=262

• Registered Users Posts: 85,709 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kmgirl wrote: »
    Bad publicity for Killarney and the organizers aren't even from the town. They made a complete shambles of the whole thing and the prices were far too expensive too. At this stage, they might as well of just let the event go ahead anyway despite the low ticket sales as they have to pay all the acts due to perform at the festival anyway.

Who were the organisers, I thought Killarney Chamber were involved?

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Who were the organisers, I thought Killarney Chamber were involved?

http://killarneyfest.com/the-history-of-rag-lane-entertainment/

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

Duran Duran have just released this statement -- I guess this means that they won't be moving their performance to another venue?

http://www.duranduran.com/wordpress/2015/band-statement-about-killarney/

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

Second festival cancelled in the space of about two weeks after Dream Gathering...core similarities between them were moving their base halfway across the country and alienating their core fan base...surely it stands to reason that you stand the best chance of running a successful festival by treating your potential customers with respect and remembering why people went to your festival in the first place...take a leaf out of Body and Soul / Indiependence books

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Killarney is lovely but the location is not good, access is brutal and accommodation expensive. Few daytrippers would bother. 3-4 hours from Dublin, 1.5-2 hours from Cork or Limerick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Alot of factors made this fail

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Can nearly see it being cancelled just before it happens

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

road_high wrote: »
    Killarney is lovely but the location is not good, access is brutal and accommodation expensive. Few daytrippers would bother. 3-4 hours from Dublin, 1.5-2 hours from Cork or Limerick.

Also, Killarney didn't "need" this festival. It's a busy enough town in the Summer time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

Fair enough Furious-Red, but I called it in February ;)
    pmalone wrote: »
    What an attitude! ... No onsite camping, a pretty nasty attitude from the organisers, a pretty poor line up (We still love you Damo!)... this festival is pretty much doomed from the start.

I really feel for the punters who are travelling and booked hotels. Also for all the bands who probably did not get a deposit. For vendors who will lose a weekend's income. And all the support crew and staff. It remains to be seen who has been reimbursed and who not. I saw somewhere that the headliners were all paid. I don't know if that is the case.

I have no sympathy for the organisers who were playing shenanigans from the start (pay to play), who unbelievably underestimated what interest those "headliners" would draw and who clearly have no understanding of the festival demographic of Ireland. Who in their right mind could think that this could have drawn 35,000 paying punters in the already very busy festival market?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

The Westport line ups looked good
    These kilarney thing would have been a good idea in winter in the inec do packages

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Pat Kenny will be talking about it on his Newstalk show - just after the Creche Graduation segment

• Advertisement

Pat Kenny will be talking about it on his Newstalk show - just after the Creche Graduation segment

Just heard him mention it. He's very difficult to listen to. I'll try and tune in at the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just heard him mention it. He's very difficult to listen to. I'll try and tune in at the end.

Yeah, he'll never make it in the world of radio.

Yeah, he'll never make it in the world of Irish radio.
    FYP.

To be fair, it seems as though a Donkey's arse could've broke wind down a microphone on Irish radio and would be considered a success.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Irish rail said they'd refund all tickets to Killarney this weekend, for any festival goers.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

beertons wrote: »
    Irish rail said they'd refund all tickets to Killarney this weekend, for any festival goers.
    Full refunds? That's very decent!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

It was on their Twitter earlier.

Killarney Chamber of Commerce representative talking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

beertons wrote: »

Lots of the Killarney hotels offering refunds as well.

https://twitter.com/jerosullivanRK/status/614041708431589376

https://twitter.com/jerosullivanRK/status/614041249616629760

https://twitter.com/KAdvertiser/status/614040054722375680

Advertisement