Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never mind the arguments; feel the hate

Options
  • 22-01-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

One day after Liam Neeson suggested that there might be too many guns in private circulation in the US and already the blogo and vlogospheres have gone into meltdown.

Just type the search terms Liam Neeson and Guns into the Youtube search engine and watch and listen in shock and awe.

"Dude get the **** back out of the USA and back to Tipperary" was one choice comment.

Another called him hypocritical for appearing in films as a gun user. That's a bit like saying a British republican actor should decline to play the role of King Lear because he disapproves of monarchy. It's called acting for a reason.

I believe Mr Neeson is a bona fide American citizen. As such he has as much of a right under the First Amendment to the American Constitution to speak his mind as any paranoid, pistol-packing ponytail from the flyover region has to "keep and bear arms" under the Second.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Do you really expect people who grew up thinking everyone should have a small killing machine on them to have a non aggressive rational outlook on the world?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Do you really expect people who grew up thinking everyone should have a small killing machine on them to have a non aggressive rational outlook on the world?

Yes, we know Liam Neeson is from Northern Ireland.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Madd Finn wrote: »
    One day after Liam Neeson suggested that there might be too many guns in private circulation in the US and already the blogo and vlogospheres have gone into meltdown.

Just type the search terms Liam Neeson and Guns into the Youtube search engine and watch and listen in shock and awe.

"Dude get the **** back out of the USA and back to Tipperary" was one choice comment.

Another called him hypocritical for appearing in films as a gun user.

Hot-headed and gun owners.
    Great little combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

There are too many guns in private circulation in the US, any reasonable person has to agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I Like Cake

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Taken 3 was a terrible film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

This is gonna "Run all night".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Somewhat ironic given the amount gun play involved in his more recent films. Perhaps he should try making a few that decry gun violence. Probably not too much money in that, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Standard NRA tactics. Bury and drown any voices of opposition.

Somewhat ironic given the amount gun play involved in his more recent films.

Where is the Irony?

One is fiction with toy guns, one is fact with, well, real guns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Piliger wrote: »
    Standard NRA tactics. Bury and drown any voices of opposition.
    There are a few forums on here like that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Hitchens

There are too many guns in private circulation in the US, any reasonable person has to agree with that.
    not necessarily, plenty of reasonable persons hold a different opinion......or can they only be reasonable if they agree with you?

Where is the Irony?

One is fiction with toy guns, one is fact with, well, real guns.

Simply stating that if he's that genuinely concerned by the consequences of gun ownership then perhaps he should avoid making movies that revel in the use of them.

Hitchens wrote: »
    not necessarily, plenty of reasonable persons hold a different opinion......or can they only be reasonable if they agree with you?

Estimates vary so I took one at the lower scale.
    There are estimates, however. According to the Geneva-based Small Arms Survey – the leading source of international public information about firearms – the U.S. has the best-armed civilian population in the world, with an estimated 270 million total guns. That’s an average of 89 firearms for every 100 residents — far ahead of Yemen, which comes in second with about 55 firearms for every 100 people, or Switzerland, which is third with 46 guns for every 100 people.

As I was saying, any reasonable person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Simply stating that if he's that genuinely concerned by the consequences of gun ownership then perhaps he should avoid making movies that revel in the use of them.

Ironic username :)

Ironic username :)

Especially if I was decrying gun ownership. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Liam tells Gulf News:
    “I grew up watching cowboy movies, loved doing that [gun gesture] with my fingers, ‘Bang, bang, you’re dead!’ I didn’t end up a killer…,”

Although without the opportunities that Hollywood offered, he might well have ended up as a "great character" on the streets of Dublin, immortalised through the memories of aul Dubs - with his own Wiki page, no less! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Americans Overreacting? F**k right off with that rubbish, as if.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This guy clearly doesn't appreciate that it's a long way to Tipperary. It's a long way to go, you don't just decide to go there on a whim. It takes weeks of planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Another called him hypocritical for appearing in films as a gun user. That's a bit like saying a British republican actor should decline to play the role of King Lear because he disapproves of monarchy. It's called acting for a reason.

I believe Mr Neeson is a bona fide American citizen. As such he has as much of a right under the First Amendment to the American Constitution to speak his mind as any paranoid, pistol-packing ponytail from the flyover region has to "keep and bear arms" under the Second.

I never understood this. Yes, of course, he is free to speak his opinion. But other people are equally free to speak theirs. So, he can say, 'I think X' and someone else can say, 'I think you should GTFO out of this country'.

Both are equally protected.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

The place is full of Alex Joneseseses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

UCDVet wrote: »
    I never understood this. Yes, of course, he is free to speak his opinion. But other people are equally free to speak theirs. So, he can say, 'I think X' and someone else can say, 'I think you should GTFO out of this country'.

Both are equally protected.

Yet not equally intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭circadian

ScumLord wrote: »
    This guy clearly doesn't appreciate that it's a long way to Tipperary. It's a long way to go, you don't just decide to go there on a whim. It takes weeks of planning.

I was equally surprised to discover Ballymena was in Tipp. My life is a lie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Are the cons of having the right to bear arms not greatly outweighed by the pros?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

I wouldn't worry what these philistine 'world-improvers' that come out of Hollywood are saying. They are a gated-community and can say what they want, because whatever they preach will not effect them in the end, only us. They can afford to get away from the problems/life of the average Joe, yet they still feel quite free to tell us how to think, act and behave.

Next he'll be on the backs of the Swiss where about half the population owns a private firearm.. (oh wait no, that's not trendy enough, let's make it a political commentary about American life and rile a few people up)

Also nobody ever seems to speak about the high rate of gun ownership in other highly urbanised European nations - Germany, France, all of the Scandinavian countries have ownership levels riding upwards of 30%. Some of these countries are known to be safest in the world.

What it comes down to is a cultural problem in the States, where organised criminality is completely endemic and socially dispersed - very unlike other developed societies. This is why we have a situation where over 90% of gun-related homicides are associated with the acts of criminal organisations in the US. It's not the average person that's creating these problems, although non-gang related murders do happen, it's in the vast minority of cases.

I also think it's rather pathetic that we Irish seem to have adopted wholesale the petty 'truisms' of one particular US political party - as if they were our own values or had any relevance to our situation - which they don't.. The culture of the US compared to European Ireland a gaping chasm - we are so different in many ways that their policies/social comments are just not applicable here, and let's keep it that way..

Everything is so politicised over there that it's hard for the average American citizen to come to accurate conclusions about the world environment. This is why they get such bad wrap in other countries. Many of them don't a notion not because they are stupid, but because their head is spinning from all the political mechanisations from the 'two-sides' that goes on over there. It's a tug of war were the people lose and private concerns win. I hate to say it but Ireland is becoming increasingly the same as them in this way. Politics is more and more coming first place in Irish life, standing in the stead of our common drive and values - things that really make us a productive, healthy society.

*Cue the senseless non-factual arguments about guns as per the usual AH standards.*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

catallus wrote: »
    Are the cons of having the right to bear arms not greatly outweighed by the pros?
    I think our politicians might not be so quick to get us to pay other peoples debts if we had some good quality lethal weaponry .

That would be a Pro for being armed up ! I am not saying that their are not cons to everyone being "Armed to the teeth"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

In before the regular contributors to gun threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

The problem is that there aren't enough guns. If there are more guns then someone could've shot Neeson before he had a chance to make unpatriotic comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

catallus wrote: »

You, sir, sound like the kind of fellow who asks questions first and shoots later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Hitchens

in defense of home and family - "it's better to have a gun and not need it .....than to need a gun and not have it"

Advertisement