Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justa Singles / Smalov

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just noticed this thread coming alive again, so I thought I'd update my progress.

I have lost my job recently so things are a bit stressful with me. In saying that, I think there is some progress although my weight is fluctuating from 68.3 and 69.8kg on an almost weekly basis. I know that the stress at work is affecting my sleep and hence there have been nights at the gym where I couldn't even look at the weights.

I think I can only manage one, possibly two, more weeks of this routine. That will be a five/six week cycle. Is that sufficient? As anaside to this , should my next routine be a strength based routine or should I continue with a body building based routine. My intention is to continue trying to increase muscle mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,142 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

1.5kg is an entiry normal flucation. I'd say almost none of it is down to changes in muscle or fat nass and mostly hydration.
    Tbh at <70kg I don't think it's particularly important whether your program is labelled strength or bodybuilding. Getting way stronger, plus eating lots will build muscle. I also dont see the need to change programs all the time. Have you exhausted linear progression? If not then there's no need to switch around all the time.

Progression has stagnated in the bench - probably because the 2.5kg increments has reached my limit before similar happening with the squat, SLDL and row. BB shoulder press is slowing down too. Everywhere seems to being filling out in a good way - visually I can see progress - except calves :(!!!

Mellor wrote: »
    ...And I started this DL progression last week. Interested to see where it goes.
    Starting at 70%, It'll be 8 weeks before I hit my max.

Week 8
    100% x 5 x 1 (1 min reps)
    :D

Hi again!

Before Christmas, using the link shown in the first post (Smalov) and cycling it with StrongLifts 5x5 and the GVT outlined in post #53 I managed to increase all my lifts and more importantly for be bulked up to just over 70kg.

However, due to personal circumstances I've not made it to the gym since November. My weight has dropped by 5kg to 65kg and on my first couple of sessions back at gym (can only mage once per week) I've no strength and am incredibly inflexible - especially around hips and hamstrings.

Will 'muscle memory' allow me to recover this bulk quicker than initially or did I not have it maintained sufficiently for it to bounce back?

Also, until I get back to full gym access what should I be concentrating on in order to make things easier for myself when I do return?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi again!

Before Christmas, using the link shown in the first post (Smalov) and cycling it with StrongLifts 5x5 and the GVT outlined in post #53 I managed to increase all my lifts and more importantly for be bulked up to just over 70kg.

However, due to personal circumstances I've not made it to the gym since November. My weight has dropped by 5kg to 65kg and on my first couple of sessions back at gym (can only mage once per week) I've no strength and am incredibly inflexible - especially around hips and hamstrings.

Will 'muscle memory' allow me to recover this bulk quicker than initially or did I not have it maintained sufficiently for it to bounce back?

Also, until I get back to full gym access what should I be concentrating on in order to make things easier for myself when I do return?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

When you were training and adding muscle, the muscle fibres were adding more myonuclei. The more the fibres grew, the more myonuclei. You might lose size from not training but those myonuclei hang around for a lot longer so you'll still have almost all of those meaning they'll speed up the process of protein synthesis when you do go back training.

Work on mobility in the meantime. Roll your hips, hamstrings and everything and do some dynamic stretching to improve your range of motion again.

When you were training and adding muscle, the muscle fibres were adding more myonuclei. The more the fibres grew, the more myonuclei. You might lose size from not training but those myonuclei hang around for a lot longer so you'll still have almost all of those meaning they'll speed up the process of protein synthesis when you do go back training.

Work on mobility in the meantime. Roll your hips, hamstrings and everything and do some dynamic stretching to improve your range of motion again.

Is it normal to lose this mass when not training - or after a long period in place will it remain for a longer duration before regressing?

I've heard ones at the gym (I know I should ignore them) commenting about why other people at the gym lose mass in such a period of time as me. The inference being why would they shrink so quickly - i.e. inference that they were doing something beyond clean training.

At home I've no foam roller. Any alternatives?

Thanks for the replies.

Is it normal to lose this mass when not training - or after a long period in place will it remain for a longer duration before regressing?

I've heard ones at the gym (I know I should ignore them) commenting about why other people at the gym lose mass in such a period of time as me. The inference being why would they shrink so quickly - i.e. inference that they were doing something beyond clean training.

Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement

Will 'muscle memory' allow me to recover this bulk quicker than initially
    It probably will
    Is it normal to lose this mass when not training
    Yes. You were probably also not eating enough, you would of lost less muscle if you maintained your weight.
    I've heard ones at the gym (I know I should ignore them) commenting about why other people at the gym lose mass in such a period of time as me.
    Ignore the broscience
    Buy a foam roller. They are extremely cheap

If you want a foam roller, check these out.

They have them in the gym and they're indestructible. Have my own at home and use it a bit most days.

Top gear.

Thanks. I'll look into getting one of those.

Can any of you recommend bodyweight routines that I can use to maintain or put on mass? I've no access to much equipment other than a set of light (7.5kg) dumbbells.

Thanks.

The link won;t open for me, but going by the fact its men'sfitness, I'd guess probably not.

Edit
    Got it up now.
    Workout 1: I don't like any of the pairing or going to failure. Rows/Dips, plank/back extensions will interfere with each other. Push-ups to failure immediately followed by chins.
    Feels like a recipe for sloppy form and low reps.

Workout 2: A bit random. But more manageable than the first.

W3: 5 exercise supersets. Quinlet?? all push-ups and pull up variation. 61 reps continuously. Not gonna happen imo.
    The nest superset is more push ups, chins and dips.

I didnlt look at the rest too closely, but they look less retarded. In saying that the whole lot just looks like he was throwing random exercises with funky names together. I wouldn't be confident there's any logic there, especially considering he was getting the numbering convention backwards the whole time.

Most other sites I looked at with bodyweight routines still required access to some equipment - some even required a weighted vest or kettlebells...

Most other sites I looked at with bodyweight routines still required access to some equipment - some even required a weighted vest or kettlebells...

What's the goal? Just a good general routine you can do without equipment?

Ditch the ridiculous supersets, ditch the atomic variations, etc. Just do a progressive routine made up on the main bodyweight lifts.

The main lifts are defined by similar principle as the main barbell lifts;
    • Horizontal Push,
    • Vertical Push,
    • Horizontal Pull,
    • Vertical Pull,
    • Legs,
    • Core,

Exercises like pull-up will still require a bar. And advanced moves may require rings. But that probably a while done the line. In addition, a lot of bodyweight moves are skill based as much as strength based (handstands etc)

This is the r/bodyweightfitness recommended routine. (click to enlarge).
    It's a great place to start imo. Level 1 is quite easy, but it gets rapidly harder. Any one that's basing out reps on the upper levels is in great shape imo. Here's the source for further details

TaRUkxol.png

Well, update time, back again at the gym now on a regular basis. Weight is back up to 70kg. Strength is getting there too. I'm travelling a lot so many times I'm hitting the gym tired and that is effecting performance.

I've used the smalov routine which is discussed on the front page to get back to this point and am now looking to move onto a different format to shake things up.

I was looking at repeating the Stronglifts 5x5, but whilst reading up on it again, I read here (disadvantages section) that it might not be suitable for all and then went on to recommend looking at the Texas Method or 5/3/1.

Anyone know of these methods and got any positive or negative comments on them?

Thanks.

Hi - I've been struggling with some injuries and I think that it might be time for me try a different form of training. Although I enjoyed the smalov type routine, it and the Stronglifts broke me over time. I got a back problem and a shoulder injury - both of which are now almost fully healed.

I would like to switch back to a more body building style routine instead of strength. I'm developing a bit of fat which I want to get shifted as I'm approaching 40 and don't want to start going down a slippy slope.

Any recommendations as to how I can do this?

• Advertisement

What was the cause of the back and shoulder injury?

You seem to jump around training plans a lot. In just two years you've been following;
    1. Amazing12/Justa-Singles
    2. 5x5 Stronglifts
    3. GVT
    4. Smolov
    5. Bodyweight Training
    6. and now a Bodybuilder routine

Plus mentioned others like Texas Method, 5/3/1, The Cube, Cube Predator Bench Cycle.

There's nothing inherently wrong with that, if it's planned and thought out. But in this case it comes across more random. And that you become bored after a few weeks. You'd probably get better results by just grinding towards a consistent goal rather than completely changing it up all the time.

Smolov is a grim program. It breaks people a lot, and no way you can run it frequently. But I've a feeling you aren't talking about the actual Smolov routine.

As for you goals, shifting fat is mostly down to diet. The decision between strength and size is up to you. IMO you should do a 5x5 type like Madcow for strength. And a 2/3/4 day BB split for size

Hi,
    I've tweaked my back doing squats and booked in for a physio session to see what the cause is.
    It will take a few weeks until this appt but I was wondering in the intervening time are there any leg exercises I can do that don't put excessive strain on the lower back?

Should I be doing any foam roller work?

My squats were 87.5kg @ 67.5kg. Not very much and they felt okay.

Advertisement