Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justa Singles / Smalov

Options
  • 22-01-2015 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been doing a gernal routine for the last number of months on which I've plateaued on a number of lifts.

I want to progrss things so was thinking of applying the Justa Singles routine as outlined here:
    http://theamazing12.com/weight-justa-minute/

Would I only be performing the 3 main lifts here or would it require an ancillary work too?

Do people really see gains on this as I don't truely understand how knocking back to 70% can make any difference, when maybe 80% or 85% would be a more testing start point.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You start at 70% and build the volume across the week. It's a minimum of 5 consecutive days in a row and if you're going too heavy, it will be too taxing on the body. It's 4 week cycles then test and should have a new 1RM to start the next cycle off.

Try deadlifting seven days a week at 80-85% and find out if 70^% is a better option ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's so many variations and options in there. I've also seen a different Squat, Bench, Dead version too.
    what exactly are you planning on doing.

There's so many variations and options in there. I've also seen a different Squat, Bench, Dead version too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Mellor wrote: »

My plan is to follow his combined routine:
    If you are not due to compete any time soon I’d run ‘Deadlift Routine A’, ‘Bench Routine A’ and ‘Back Squat Routine B’ because, with the exception of the DL work, they all emphasise base building, volume, fatigue and to a certain extent hypertrophy. Whilst taking the focus off of the peaking limit strength.

This give me:
    Deadlift
    Week 1 (70%)
    Mon 3×1, Tues 5×1, Wed 7×1, Thurs 9×1, Fri 11×1, Sat 13×1, Sun 15×1 (63 lifts)
    Week 2 (70% + 10lbs)
    Week 3 (70% + 20lbs)
    Week 4 (70% + 30lbs)
    (Total monthly volume 252 lifts at 70%-70+% of 1RM)

Squat
    Week 1 (70%)
    Mon 1×3, Tue 1×5, Wed 1×7, Thurs 1×9, Fri 1×11, Sat off, Sun off (35 lifts)
    Week 2 (70% + 5lbs)
    Week 3 (70% + 10lbs)
    Week 4 (70% + 15lbs)
    (Total monthly volume 140 lifts at 70%-70+% 1RM)

Bench
    Week 1 (70%)
    Mon 2×2, Tue 3×2, Wed 4×2, Thurs 5×2, Fri 6×2, Sat off, Sun off (40 lifts)
    Week 2 (70%)
    Mon 2×3, Tue 3×3, Wed 4×3, Thurs 5×3, Fri 6×3, Sat off, Sun off (60 lifts)
    Week 3 (70%)
    Mon 2×4, Tue 3×4, Wed 4×4, Thurs 5×4, Fri 6×4, Sat off, Sun off (80 lifts)
    Week 4
    Mon 2×5, Tue 3×5, Wed 4×5, Thurs 5×5, Fri 6×5, Sat off, Sun off (100 lifts)
    (Total monthly volume 280 lifts at 70% 1RM)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Go try it and come back and tell us its not enough.

It's not like Paul's got results with people using it.

Let's just internet critic the **** outta it.

• Advertisement

Calm yourself down - I asked a civil enough question to merit a civil answer.

Calm yourself down - I asked a civil enough question to merit a civil answer.

You got a civil answer. Don't worry so much.

I've just finished the second iteration of this program and am currently testing my 1RM.

Bench has gone from 80kg - 90kg
    DL has gone from 130kg to 150kg
    Squat - still to be tested.
    BW has increased from 65.5kg to 57.5kg

However, I think fatigue and a lack of self belief meant that my 1RM's could have been further advanced. However, at the minute I'm pleased with the progress.

I just now need to find a suitable program to switch onto for a few mothns - any suggestions?

You lost 8kg?

I'm really glad you did this program. It's like doing it myself without having to do anything. Can't wait to give it a go later this year.

(Tempted to pull a MAJOR "YNDTP" and add it into my current cycle before my meet on may30th)

Am I correct in thinking you did 2 months of it?

Did you find yourself tired / fatigued on the way thru?

Other program options;

5/3/1
    The Cube
    Cube Predator Bench Cycle
    German Volume Training

...basically something higher volume and lower frequency.

Sorry, meant to state a gain to 67.5kg.

It was tough. The volume gave me some niggly 'injuries' and strains. The commitment of going to gym every day was tough but Monday and Tuesday were quite light. Friday was a different matter. It only really got tough mid way through second cycle as the continuous reps started to wear me out.

I'll definitely do it again but need a break at the minute. It really helped me to get the 90kg bench. Without a slight cold I might have pushed things a but further.
    In hindsight I think I under estimated my initial 1rm for bench as I only progressed 2.5kg from phase 1. So I might have under sold myself a bit here and stunted progression.

Squat is difficult to gauge as I have switched from low to high bar at the start of this scheme. We'll see tonight...

• Advertisement

Sorry, yes I performed two cycles which works out at two months. Although you need to add a rest/test week after each cycle to recalculate your one rep max.

I may regret starting this tomorrow.

You'll be grand. The first couple of days is like: what the ****?! This is easy. But the continuous repetition does get to you after week one.

****ed up the squat tonight. Was tired and have a slight a cold but regardless, the weight never felt comfortable on my back (100kg) so I just couldn't do it. Bitterly disappointed but after dead lifting continuously for 8 Weeks and also squatting must days too, maybe I should have held off until next week before testing myself?

One thing I didn't understand was why have a percentage of one rep max for your start point and then have your delta increase as a fixed amount.

I'm sure you lift much more than me, but as the increments are 20lbs and 30lbs it is a greater percentage of my max than yours, hence the plan starts to vary from user to user in terms of comparable increments.
    I think the delta should also be expressed as a percentage.

Has anyone tried any of these or can recommend one to start?

5/3/1
    The Cube
    Cube Predator Bench Cycle
    German Volume Training

Thanks.

Okay, I've been reading online and I think that the 5x5 might be the best option to go for.

I was interested in the Cube, but it seems I need to do more reading on it to get a suitable routine. I found an online calculator, but it didn't work and seemd to have many exercises to perform.

So, I'm opting for 5x5. Is this the main one that everyon here uses?

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Okay, I've been reading online and I think that the 5x5 might be the best option to go for.

I was interested in the Cube, but it seems I need to do more reading on it to get a suitable routine. I found an online calculator, but it didn't work and seemd to have many exercises to perform.

So, I'm opting for 5x5. Is this the main one that everyon here uses?

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Depends on your level of experience. It's a great novice program.

I’m now into the second day of the Stronglifts 5x5 program. I’m using the excel workout planner that the guy provides on the website – as my phone is not compatible with the apps. How come that the progression shows at the end of the 12 week ‘Experienced’ program my deadlift 5RM will be 125kg based on my current 1RM of 150kg, whereas it has estimated my (current?) 5RM on my current 1RM as 132.5kg? Should I not be completing week 12 with a weight greater than 132.5kg instead of 125kg?

I’m now into the second day of the Stronglifts 5x5 program. I’m using the excel workout planner that the guy provides on the website – as my phone is not compatible with the apps. How come that the progression shows at the end of the 12 week ‘Experienced’ program my deadlift 5RM will be 125kg based on my current 1RM of 150kg, whereas it has estimated my (current?) 5RM on my current 1RM as 132.5kg? Should I not be completing week 12 with a weight greater than 132.5kg instead of 125kg?

The issue here is two-fold.
    1. Stronglifts, as prescribed by the website, is aimed at beginners.
    2. That spread is really awful. Especially considering the investment it the website.
    Basically, "experienced" on the spreadsheet, means a beginner who has tested their lifts, not lifters with any sort of existing progress. Week 1 starts with 50% of you current 5RM, and adds 5kg per week, dropping to 2.5kg later. For experienced deadlift, Week 12 = Week 1 + 60kg. So if your current 5RM is over 120kg, then you'll still be below this after 12 weeks. So the spreadsheet isn't really usable if your DL 5RM is over 80kg.
    And stupidly, the experienced side drops to 2.5kg increases sooner than beginner, so even if your DL is 80kg, the beginner is lifting more after 12 weeks.

Its aimed at beginners, but that's not say linear can work for non-beginners. You just need to do you own numbers. You can edit the spreadsheet to work for you. Just change the starting %'s.

Go to the first workout for each lift. And select the load. It should say;
    =FLOOR(E6*0.5,2.5)

Change the 0.5 value in bold to 0.8. You'll start off heavier and hit 150x5 before the end. I'd change Deadlift, bench, press and row to around 0.8 too. Squats can be lower as the higher frequency means a greater increase over 12 weeks, maybe stick it at 0.65

So, are you saying that I'm not going to get much out of this routine? Or am I classed as a beginner in terms of my progress so far?

• Advertisement

So, are you saying that I'm not going to get much out of this routine? Or am I classed as a beginner in terms of my progress so far?
    I saying that the spreadsheet is for beginners. If you don't want to wait 3-4. months to catch up to current lifts then you should skip ahead a bit.

Okay - thanks for clearing that up. I had already modded the spreadsheet to match your suggested start levels.

Okay, I'm now starting to struggle with this routine. The squats are giving me recovery issues between each day. I'm currently at 87.5kg which I missed on one day badly (quit before completing 1 set) and then struggled to finish with good form on the subsequent day.

I appreciate that 875.kg probably isn't much to most of you. However, I don't feel like I'm making gains the same way as it felt with the Amazing12.

I'll keep on with it for a couple of weeks yet, but was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and did how did they cope? Did the stay at the weight until the progrssed, or did they drop back and then build up again?

Okay, I'm now starting to struggle with this routine. The squats are giving me recovery issues between each day. I'm currently at 87.5kg which I missed on one day badly (quit before completing 1 set) and then struggled to finish with good form on the subsequent day.

I appreciate that 875.kg probably isn't much to most of you. However, I don't feel like I'm making gains the same way as it felt with the Amazing12.

I'll keep on with it for a couple of weeks yet, but was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and did how did they cope? Did the stay at the weight until the progrssed, or did they drop back and then build up again?

How long are you are the cycle and what was your starting 1RM?

It says in the blurb with it that if you fail with the same weight three workouts in a row, drop the weight by 10% and build back up adding 2.5kg each workout.

Didn't you fail a 100kg single before the start. That puts your starting 5RM at 87ish. What week are you on? It could a bit a bit early to be catching up on PRs.

I'm starting week 6. Yeah, I screwed up on 100kg - had a slight cold, but didn't feel comfortable with the weight.

Trying last week, I felt that my legs had the strength on Friday but my stance was the issue. I usually try a shoulder wide stance but I notice that when people at my gym go heavy (3 figure lifts) they adopt a much wider stance. Some even tell me that I should switch to a low bar squat as I get up the numbers. Any advice?

I've got new weightlifting shoes which I hope should help some of my stance issues (I've been using 2.5kg weights under barefoot). Sometimes I feel that I still want to bend forward but I'm not sure if this is due to tight hamstrings, ITB, whatever) or tiredness.

Although from reading ExRx my 1RM should be around 105kg (usingin intermediate std): http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/SquatStandardsKg.html
    My bench is 12.5kg above; deadlift is 25kg above; press is on the std - 55kg.

I usually try a shoulder wide stance but I notice that when people at my gym go heavy (3 figure lifts) they adopt a much wider stance. Some even tell me that I should switch to a low bar squat as I get up the numbers. Any advice?
    The correct width for a squat will be based on the structure of your hips and as such it will vary from person to person. Get all all fours and adopt various width stances. See which allows you to the most hip flexion, comfortably.
    I originally seen a diferent videp, but you get the idea.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=34&v=-SylO8k4jOY

Low bar or high bar is a choice you can make. But its not because you gotten past an arbitrary point.
    Look at all olympic lifters squatting high bar, they are putting up a lot more weight than some random guy in the gym telling you that he had to switch to low bar because it got so heavy.

Pick one that suits you right now. Train that way.
    Although from reading ExRx my 1RM should be around 105kg (usingin intermediate std): http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/SquatStandardsKg.html
    My bench is 12.5kg above; deadlift is 25kg above; press is on the std - 55kg.
    AFAIK, they are the same as the Rippetoe tables from SS. So they are based off low bar numbers. So squat might not be trailing as much as you think.

Just re-reading through this. Progress so far is that BW has increased to 68.8kg (with only a slight increase of BF). Deadlifts - I'm now pulling 5 reps at 142.5 (previouw 1RM was 150kg). Squat - tonight I completed 5x5 @95kg. Overhead press is now 52.5kg.

So I'd be confident that now I could hit all 1RMs in the ExRx tables.

Still hate this routine though. It really takes it out of me. My adductors are causing me the most trouble.

• Advertisement

But you're making progress on the lifts, yeah?

Advertisement