Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two-year-old boy shoots himself dead with father's gun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Jim Jeffries talking about guns. Makes a few good points.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You said " What idiot buys a gun"?

I am such a person but I would hardly consider myself to be an idiot.

Actually I have 3 guns, all of which are used for target shooting.

I keep the guns in a safe and ammo in another safe. The guns are only used on an authorised range and put back into the safe when not being used.

How am I an idiot?

There's a difference in owning something designed for target shooting and say an AK-47. It's like the difference between having a prescription for antibiotics and having something like crystal meth.

One is responsible drug use, the other is completely unnecessary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I wonder how many kids poison themselves by drinking something they shouldn't and I wonder if this makes the News?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Whats the thought process? You'll jump behind the door of your car and have a good old fashion shootout with the terrorists while your kid sits in the back of the car under fire?

Really, is this news anymore, without clicking into the thread i think we all knew which country this news article was about.

Its clearly defined in their sacred second amendment, its not going to change anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

jank wrote: »
    I wonder how many kids poison themselves by drinking something they shouldn't and I wonder if this makes the News?

The "poison" would almost certainly be a household cleaning agent of some sort or a medicine both of which have valid uses in civil society. Guns don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The poor child, the parent is criminally negligent although I don't know if punishing a parent who has lost their child would achieve anything either.

Guns do have a value in society. That is why farmers have them to kill prey. That is why Gardai have them to protect us and themselves against criminals. In the US, you never hear about the stories where people intent off violence break into a home are killed by the home owner because they are armed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This is a very relevant article http://everytown.org/documents/2014/10/innocents-lost.pdf see page 8 for numbers of children shot, and ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

If there was more relaxed gun laws then someone nearby might have had a gun and been able to shoot the gun out of the child's hand with their own gun. The solution is more good guys with guns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think in freakeconomics, the book says far more children die in swimming pools in the US, than by guns. Yet you will never hear a child dying in a swimming pool being reported. Although its a completely preventable death. If you put a safety net around a pool, your children cant enter it. Not all guns can have a safety though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Guns do have a value in society.

Used correctly most things have a value.
    Cop on being one of them.
    For Gods sake, a two year old was left in a car with a loaded gun.
    Who the hell leaves a two year old alone in a car at all.

That is why farmers have them to kill prey.

Predators, not prey.

In the US, you never hear about the stories where people intent off violence break into a home are killed by the home owner because they are armed.

Ah, yeah, you hear about them all the time.........
      1. Orange County homeowner shoots, kills intruder - WLKY.com

www.wlky.com/news/orange...homeowner...kills-intruder/29934462
        Nov 26, 2014 - It's a crime police say cost one young man his life. An early morning robbery Tuesday turned deadly when the homeowner turned the gun on ...

In the news
      2. Grandmother of Alleged Intruder Killed by Homeowner Says Grandson Was Looking for HelpNBC 10 Philadelphia‎ - 2 days ago

New information about a suspected home intruder who was shot and killed by the ...More news for homeowner kills intruder
      3. Homeowner kills intruder in Jefferson County - 9News

www.9news.com/story/news/.../intruder-killed...homeowner.../20301823...
        Dec 12, 2014 - A homeowner shot and killed an intruder inside a home Friday morning, according to the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office. 9NEWS at 6 pm.

4. Homeowner who shot, killed intruder won't be charged

www.9news.com/story/news/crime/2014/12/...intruder/20454567/
        Dec 15, 2014 - The homeowner who shot and killed an intruder who entered his house through a "doggie door" will not be charged with a crime, the Jefferson ...

5. Homeowner shoots, kills burglar - KHOU.com

www.khou.com/story/news/local/.../homeowner...kills-burglar/18316031...
        Nov 1, 2014 - Homeowner shoots, kills burglar. ... The owner shot the intruder "an unknown number of times," according to police. When the shooting ended, ...

6. Sheriff: Man who killed would-be home intruder 'acted lawfully'

www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/2014/12/26/wise.../20910051/
        Dec 26, 2014 - Police believe the homeowner who killed a man demanding to get inside his ... lawfully when he fired one fatal shot into the would-be intruder.

7. Neighbors On Edge After Homeowner Kills Intruder « CBS ...

dfw.cbslocal.com/.../neighbors-on-edge-after-homeowner-kills-intruder/
        Dec 26, 2014 - RHOME (CBSDFW.COM) - An overnight deadly shooting after an apparent home invasion attempt has some Rhome families like the Thornhills ...

8. Cape May homeowner shoots and kills intruder, report says ...

www.nj.com/.../cape_may_homeowner_shoots_and_kills_intruder_repor...
        4 days ago - A homeowner in Lower Township shot and killed an intruder early Sunday morning, the Press of Atlantic City reported. Ed Murray/The Star- ...

9. Homeowner Shoots and Kills Intruders, Memphis Police ...

www.myfoxmemphis.com/.../homeowner-shoots-and-kills-intruders-mpd-s...
        Dec 27, 2014 - MEMPHIS, Tenn. (FOX13) – - A homeowner sends a strong message to some would-be thieves, shooting two of them dead as they were trying ...

10. Elderly Homeowner Shoots And Kills Intruder Carrying An Ax

www.opposingviews.com/.../elderly-homeowner-shoots-and-kills-intrude...
        Dec 29, 2014 - A man allegedly shot and killed one of two suspects who were trying to ... 74-Year-Old Homeowner Fatally Shoots Intruder After Being Beaten ...

hfallada wrote: »
    I think in freakeconomics, the book says far more children die in swimming pools in the US, than by guns. Yet you will never hear a child dying in a swimming pool being reported. Although its a completely preventable death. If you put a safety net around a pool, your children cant enter it. Not all guns can have a safety though

In the case of this boy......... take out the clip.

mikom wrote: »
    Used correctly most things have a value.
    Cop on being one of them.
    For Gods sake, a two year old was left in a car with a loaded gun.
    Who the hell leaves a two year old alone in a car at all.

Predators, not prey.

Ah, yeah, you hear about them all the time.........

I think that is my point proved. Who would leave their two year old in the vicinity of poison or a kitchen knife or boiling water. Blame the parent, not the gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Who would leave their two year old in the vicinity of poison or a kitchen knife or boiling water. .

I'm guessing a retard who was allowed a gun permit would be more than capable of all those things.

As I said, "used correctly most things have a value".

Sort out the allocation of guns.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

bear1 wrote: »
    So another day and another story comes up in the US about a child finding their parent's gun and accidentally shooting themself.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11361827/Two-year-old-boy-shoots-himself-dead-with-fathers-gun.html

Poor kid.
    What comes to my mind is that AFAIK guns have a safety feature, click it on and the gun wont fire.
    So how come all of these guns seem to have it turned off? Why keep a loaded gun in a glove box which you then leave a 2 year old in to roam about?
    I particularly liked this quote from the police:

"It's just one of those things that happens where everything lined up the wrong way where we had a 2½-year-old that was able to take a gun, pick it up, turn it around, and he shot himself dead center in the middle of the chest"

Making it sound like a routine accident.
    The father said that the gun was secure... well if a 2 year old can get to a loaded gun in an unlocked glove box then how is it even remotely secure?
    They just don't seem to be able to learn, it just simply becomes a case of "someone else's child".

Yeah, that responsible parent had a gun to "defend" himself from non-existent threats. Well now he's got yearly flower visits to the cemetary for his efforts.

Not all guns have a manual safety.

Two very popular makes of handguns don't have them as standard. Glocks (which most American police forces and FBI and the PSNI use) and SIG pistols.

If a one of these guns is loaded it's easy to fire. Common sense says not to store ammo and guns in the same location. BUt then you have the self defence people who always keep a weapon loaded.

I'm wondering what the statisitics are for people who have been killed by an intruder but had an unloaded gun in the house and but for it being unloaded they would have killed/wounded their assailant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭walshyn93

Could they legislate more harshly for people who don't keep the gun at least moderately secure? Say 10 years in prison if your child manages to shoot themselves? Or is that taking too much freedom?

The reason people are against common sense gun safety laws is because in America if there is a law it will be enforced. So if there's a law saying you need to keep your gun in a safe then the police will find a way to enforce that law because most of their funding depends on fines. People don't want cops searching your house just because you own a gun so they're against any kind of gun safety laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

hfallada wrote: »
    If you live in rural US and are 1 hour from a police station. If you have an armed intruder in your home. You are basically ****ed. It's easy for us in a pretty gun free country to say guns are evil etc. But if you live in the us. They are necessary.

Im not really pro guns. But if I lived in the us. I would have a gun in my house. You only hear the horror stories about guns in the us. You don't hear about people who defended themselves against an armed intruder.

There was a long thread on reddit about a women who had a mental stalker. She moved house and he found her. She couldn't get a restraining order against him. He threatened her family and threatened to kill her bf and eventually rape her. She brought a gun and when he entered her house one night. She shot him. What would have happened if she didn't have a gun?
    This is so paranoia driven.

AdamD wrote: »
    This is so paranoia driven.

And being afraid of an inanimate object that won't do anything if left alone isn't paranoia?

It's all a matter of opinion. I'm more afraid of people than guns. Obviously people with guns is worse. But people can be pretty dangerous themselves.

[QUOTE=hfallada;93952236]If you live in rural US and are 1 hour from a police station. If you have an armed intruder in your home. You are basically ****ed. It's easy for us in a pretty gun free country to say guns are evil etc. But if you live in the us. They are necessary.

Im not really pro guns. But if I lived in the us. I would have a gun in my house. You only hear the horror stories about guns in the us. You don't hear about people who defended themselves against an armed intruder.

There was a long thread on reddit about a women who had a mental stalker. She moved house and he found her. She couldn't get a restraining order against him. He threatened her family and threatened to kill her bf and eventually rape her. She brought a gun and when he entered her house one night. She shot him. What would have happened if she didn't have a gun?[/QUOTE]

If you live in an area where you are 5 minutes from the nearest police station and have an armed intruder in your home you are just as fucked no?
    If an armed intruder breaks into your home and you don't get a chance to call the police it doesn't matter if they are an hour away or down the block. You're on your own.

• Advertisement

Egginacup wrote: »
    If you live in an area where you are 5 minutes from the nearest police station and have an armed intruder in your home you are just as fucked no?
    If an armed intruder breaks into your home and you don't get a chance to call the police it doesn't matter if they are an hour away or down the block. You're on your own.

Yeah exactly. Hence, gun rights.

300 million guns. Even if you got 99% of them that still leaves 3 million guns in the hands of people who chose to act outside the law. What does that mean for the rest of the population?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

walshyn93 wrote: »
    300 million guns. Even if you got 99% of them that still leaves 3 million guns in the hands of people who chose to act outside the law. What does that mean for the rest of the population?
    It means that the chances of them or their family being killed by a gun has dropped by 99%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Many companies make fingerprint accessible table top gun safes and with practice you can access them in about a second.
    They cost about 100 dollars but im guessing the parents needed the money for a down payment on Dub’s for their Escalade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

seamus wrote: »
    It means that the chances of them or their family being killed by a gun has dropped by 99%.

I just ****ing lol'd.

seamus wrote: »

You must be new to this debate. There's no positive correlation between gun ownership and homicide rate. If anything there's an inverse relationship and if you want to be informed you can google the relevant info in a second because I can't post links.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You must be new to this debate. There's no positive correlation between gun ownership and homicide rate. If anything there's an inverse relationship and if you want to be informed you can google the relevant info in a second because I can't post links.

Cough... post number 2.... cough ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Yeah exactly. Hence, gun rights.

Not hence gun rights. When was the constitution drawn up again? How different were things then?

The fact that yanks cling to a constitutional right to bear arms that was drafted in a very, very, very different time as something that should apply today is nonsensical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

There's no positive correlation between gun ownership and homicide rate.

There's a clear correlation between gun ownership and accidental child deaths from gunfire though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I feel sorry for anyone living in america,thet are socially gone as a nation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If that happened to anyone I knew I'd be Mad as hell

Advertisement