Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the shift

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

strobe wrote: »
    It's no stupider than any other reason to be honest, and probably the reason the vast majority of people had their first proper kiss with the person they did. Knock yourself out.

^^ This. I don't attach any great significance to my first kiss as my mind always drifts to the 2nd guy I kissed anyways. No harm, it'll make you feel more confident the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

As regards not knowing how to act or being afraid you'll mess it up. Don't worry about it, kissing someone isn't really that hard. It's certainly harder to mess it up than do properly. I can't really imagine how kissing someone could go wrong to be honest. If you manage to miss his mouth that's mildly funny, giggle and move on. If accidentally bite his tongue off and swallow it then just act like you were trying to be kinky and hopefully he won't notice/pass comment.
    As regards deciding whether you should shift him or not or telling anyone about it that's entirely up to you. Some people feel this sort of stuff is really important and special, other people don't attach any significance and will wear the face off anyone with no open facial sores. Neither is right or wrong, it's all just a personal choice. Either way there's no reason to be shy or worried about what other people will think/say. You're not going to be labelled a tramp or a prude for shifting/not-shifting one fella. I'm sure there's dozens of young couples lobbing the gob at each other before school every morning. No one's going to notice you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Ehh yeah, it was lunch and I partake in the odd consumption of water!

Also for rehydration :P

It was a stupid question I suppose...although it seems you never actually got around to drinking any of those bottles:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Who misses out on precious "get up as late as possible but still make it to school at 8:59" sleep for a shift? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

It was a stupid question I suppose...although it seems you never actually got around to drinking any of those bottles:D

Haha id have them started, but sure when the moment takes ya you just got to go with it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,242 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks for the info about what 'the shift' is, I had the wrong idea! It was snogging in my day :-) But still, arranging to meet up for a first time snog 'before school' seems a bit sad. Where is the excitement, the anticipation, even - is it too much to ask for - the affection or romance - or lust? Just meet up, grope a bit, exchange saliva and go into class. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

looksee wrote: »
    .... Just meet up, grope a bit, exchange saliva and go into class. :(

High risk behaviours like this? Really?

What OP needs is a dental dam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

You're basically licking each others tongues. It's not that difficult.

Pity it's before school though. You could have had a few drinks first and if you were a bad kisser you could blame the drink.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Why are so many people telling a 17 year old to get drunk for their first kiss?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Sometimes I find it difficult understanding foreign accents and culchies - it's comforting to see from this thread that I'm not on my own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I remember 'getting the shift' with a girl behind the coat rack at the back of class in primary school. It had all been pre-arranged, though no one thought to tell me! I was like, ok.

So, I obliged her anyway but was horrified to hear later that day the lady concerned was glad we were now 'boyfriend and girlfriend'. I guess I shouldve thought that one out a bit but hey, 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

emma9 wrote: »
    ..... he asked me to shift him before school some morning, and I agreed.

How romantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I can give you this advice right now, don't shift a boy you've been talking to for 2 weeks "before school some morning", you'll regret it. Your first time should be with someone you're at least in a relationship with, and preferably during a time when you're not going to be rushing and you can make a nice evening/night out of it. It's really nothing special unless you have time for the foreplay and the aftermath, the kissing and cuddling are what make it. Getting the shift quickly before school some morning really isn't anything your finger can't do. But, if you do decide to go ahead with this, at least use a condom.

It's only a shift ffs. My first shift, I ended up headbutting the girl by accident before getting stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

Catfish! Stranger danger. This is definitely a 50 year old dude who's gonna show up in a school uniform and hope you don't notice that he looks a bit different from his pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Never heard the term "shift", I was expecting a complaint about an unwanted night shift!

First kissing is a bit of a non event for most tbh. Mine was drunk at nye when I was 16. It was at best interesting, it was several notches below the greatness of having an epic meal, average sex is also below that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Go for it Emma! Sure he might be like a fooking washing machine and you'll never want to go near him again!

I used to meet this guy at lunch sometimes, id waste so much money because I'd buy a bottle of water at lunch,meet him and leave the damn thing behind!

Were you trying to simulate a washing machine for him or something with the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

OP, are you really 17? Is he? If so, I think you're too old to be scheduling "shifts"!

I remember being 17 and I would have seen it as very odd, even disrespectful if a fella asked me to meet up for a shift and to make it worse tell me not to tell anyone! Having said that, maybe he's just clueless?

You really should just go for lunch or a fast food place or cinema or something and see what happens afterwards.

Don't worry about you best friend - none of her business but tell her if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

The bigger question is where did he get your snapchat if you have never met him before ?.

Did he got it off your Facebook page while creeping on it ?. Or whats the story there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 emma9

Yes we really are both 17 and I think we're beyond the years of scheduling shifts. You never hear of anyone our age organising shifts anymore. But I just overlooked that because maybe he is a bit clueless, I don't know what to make of him or this situation to be honest.

I'm not sure where he got my snapchat but I'm assuming from one of his friends or maybe my name was on someone's 'best friends list' and he took it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Whoa, I didn't realize you had never meet him before, this changes everything.

Do not shift him tomorrow. Arrange to go out sometime, bring some friends, let him bring some too. Sound him out more before any shifting commences. Seems like he is chancing his arm.

Unless of course you fancy the arse off him, then I will revert back to my original advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Whilst I wont be giving relationship advise to a 17 year old, I will say, he will like any other fella tell his mates, and I too thought the term 'shift' meant requiring a condom when I first moved here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Were you trying to simulate a washing machine for him or something with the water?

Good lawwd no! That was completely separate to the first paragraph!

Advertisement