Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the shift

Options
  • 22-01-2015 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I've been chatting to a boy over the last two weeks and he asked me to shift him before school some morning, and I agreed. I'm 17 and I've never shifted anyone before (because I haven't been to teen discos and I wouldn't do it before or after school because everyone would know and I'm quite shy).

He said we'd keep it between ourselves but I'm wondering whether I should tell my bestfriend, she would be annoyed if I didn't and he'll probably tell his friends anyway.

The thing is I'm really nervous and I don't know how to act. Won't it be really awkward before, during and after it? I'm afraid I'll mess it up as well. I know this is a stupid (and embarrassing) post but any advice or experience?

Please don't give smart answers, thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Ul be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Use flavoured lip gloss, that **** will blow his mind. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Gonna be a long night
    Gonna be alright

• Registered Users Posts: 26 emma9

Flavoured lipgloss really? I wasn't going to wear it in case it was weird.

Ya Friday morning before school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

There is a 'ladies' forum on here for such stuff, why don't you post your query there!?
    They will probably tell you to find out if he is rich first, but take no notice of them....

Only joking, they will give you some great advice, I'm sure!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If you really are serious, then I suggest asking here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1146

AH response: Will ya shift me mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I can give you this advice right now, don't shift a boy you've been talking to for 2 weeks "before school some morning", you'll regret it. Your first time should be with someone you're at least in a relationship with, and preferably during a time when you're not going to be rushing and you can make a nice evening/night out of it. It's really nothing special unless you have time for the foreplay and the aftermath, the kissing and cuddling are what make it. Getting the shift quickly before school some morning really isn't anything your finger can't do. But, if you do decide to go ahead with this, at least use a condom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

But, if you do decide to go ahead with this, at least use a condom.

Where you proposing she wears it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If you're in doubt don't do it. Plus, I guarantee you, he'll tell all his mates.

Would advise asking here..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=127

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

emma9 wrote: »
    Flavoured lipgloss really? I wasn't going to wear it in case it was weird.

Ya Friday morning before school.

Flavoured lipgloss is awesome. Even if you think it was awful, he will go away thinking, 'oh my god, her lips tasted like cherry (or whatever)'.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 emma9

By "the shift" I just mean a french kiss. Thanks for the advice though :')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I've been chatting to a boy over the last two weeks and he asked me to shift him before school some morning, and I agreed. I'm 17 and I've never shifted anyone before (because I haven't been to teen discos and I wouldn't do it before or after school because everyone would know and I'm quite shy).

He said we'd keep it between ourselves but I'm wondering whether I should tell my bestfriend, she would be annoyed if I didn't and he'll probably tell his friends anyway.

The thing is I'm really nervous and I don't know how to act. Won't it be really awkward before, during and after it? I'm afraid I'll mess it up as well. I know this is a stupid (and embarrassing) post but any advice or experience?

Please don't give smart answers, thanks.

Don't forget your grapefruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I can give you this advice right now, don't shift a boy you've been talking to for 2 weeks "before school some morning", you'll regret it. Your first time should be with someone you're at least in a relationship with, and preferably during a time when you're not going to be rushing and you can make a nice evening/night out of it. It's really nothing special unless you have time for the foreplay and the aftermath, the kissing and cuddling are what make it. Getting the shift quickly before school some morning really isn't anything your finger can't do. But, if you do decide to go ahead with this, at least use a condom.

I think you highly misunderstood Op hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

:eek: I'm glad I didn't go to your school for Sex Ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Ah to be young again when your biggest worry is getting a shift before the weight of the world crushes your spirit...

Beautifully said sir! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Based on this thread and urban dictionary, it turns my definition of "the shift" is actually totally different from what it actually means, I've never been very good at Irish slang. Since you mean a french kiss, I say go for it, that's what teenagers do, hell, "shift" as many boys as you want, you'll regret it when you're older if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

Based on this thread and urban dictionary, it turns my definition of "the shift" is actually totally different from what it actually means, I've never been very good at Irish slang. Since you mean a french kiss, I say go for it, that's what teenagers do, hell, "shift" as many boys as you want, you'll regret it when you're older if you don't.

Just read both your posts now again haha v entertaining ty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

You must not be Irish, the "shift" has always been by my estimation, known nationally. If you are Irish, I didnt realise it wasnt in use there, wherever there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Getting the shift

Misleading thread title :(. I thought this was a driving thread and some learner was having difficulty using the gears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

Nothing wrong with a bit of tonsil tennis like everything else the first one could be good or be messy watch for roaming hands and rushing fingers don't let the flame of passion turn into an inferno well at least not outside the school gates

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

chrisb1 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a bit of tonsil tennis like everything else the first one could be good or be messy watch for roaming hands and rushing fingers don't let the flame of passion turn into an inferno well at least not outside the school gates

Somebodies been reading too much chic lit. Flame of passion? They are 17. She'll be lucky if he doesn't mess himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

After hours, where teens can ask about kissing someone for the first time and be told to use a condom.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Do You Even Shift?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Well if a "shift" has to be scheduled like a doctor's appointment then no you shouldn't do it. When it happens, it'll happen naturally. Plus never trust schoolboys when they say they're only looking to French kiss. Obviously ye'll be going somewhere private to complete the act. Guarantee ya ye won't be two seconds into it until he'll have the trouser tent fully pitched and then will switch to octopus mode, hands everywhere. If you are going to risk it, wear two pairs of tights and a pair of trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Macavity. wrote: »
    Yeah, shift in England means sex to a lot of people.

No, it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I never learned to shift properly as a teen.

It's easy just to buy an automatic in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

After hours, where teens can ask about kissing someone for the first time and be told to use a condom.

Better safe than sorry. I think it's actually good advice to have a condom or two on hand for any sexual-related activity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

UCDVet wrote: »
    I never learned to shift properly as a teen.

It's easy just to buy an automatic in my opinion.

It's hard to beat that feeling of a good shift to be honest. It might be nerve-racking at first, so much pressure to get a good first shift when you're young but after one, you'll go from first to second to third and so on no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Nim wrote: »
    It's hard to beat that feeling of a good shift to be honest. It might be nerve-racking at first, so much pressure to get a good first shift when you're young but after one, you'll go from first to second to third and so on no bother.

Then once you're confident you can put that baby in reverse.

I'm not sure where this analogy has gone.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement