Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thyestes Chase Thursday

Options
  • 21-01-2015 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Am I losing the plot fancying the thirteen year old Jadanli to run a big race in this? Was placed in 2012 and won it in 2013 off same mark. Might be a bit long in the tooth but I think he might outrun his price of 40/1. I thought his last two runs were respectable enough given that he was returning from a layoff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

looks like he is up against it already. I fancy vasco do me. 28/1 is bloody ridiculous. I'll be having ew on that. Any bookie specials for this race anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

I can't see Gallant Oscar beaten, AJ has him well lined out, bonus that BJ rides him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Make a track is a huge price 16-1 that will do for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Andalucia wrote: »
    I can't see Gallant Oscar beaten, AJ has him well lined out, bonus that BJ rides him

You happy at the prices though? As good as Martin can prep one, the horse doesn't look incredibly well in from what I can see. It'll be a tough slog and he didn't seem overly interested getting to the front in his last two hurdle outings.
    It's obviously very possible the horse has plenty up his sleeve taking connections into account, but would be hard for me to have much confidence backing at 5/1 on that basis.

I'd say the same for the favourite, needs to be very good off this weight and some of the form from last year isn't working out too well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

One horse race ,if he jumps according to my figures is gallent oscar top weight has now chance based on my figures.gallent Oscar wins big time IMO.

• Advertisement

Any vibes on Mullins fav in the first? Dicosimo?
    Hard to read the French form but doesn't look like there was much in behind.

Thunder Zone was well fancied at Leopardstown iirc.
    Sure to improve on that outing and looks to have enough about his profile to turnover Prussian Eagle. 6s mightn't be the worst value.

You happy at the prices though? As good as Martin can prep one, the horse doesn't look incredibly well in from what I can see. It'll be a tough slog and he didn't seem overly interested getting to the front in his last two hurdle outings.
    It's obviously very possible the horse has plenty up his sleeve taking connections into account, but would be hard for me to have much confidence backing at 5/1 on that basis.

I'd say the same for the favourite, needs to be very good off this weight and some of the form from last year isn't working out too well now.

I wouldn't judge Gallant Oscar too harshly on his last couple of runs, he was given plenty to do by Ruby both times, plus he is a far better chaser

Don't think the fav wants a slog in the mud, feel he is more of a 2 1/2 miler

Andalucia wrote: »
    I wouldn't judge Gallant Oscar too harshly on his last couple of runs, he was given plenty to do by Ruby both times, plus he is a far better chaser

Don't think the fav wants a slog in the mud, feel he is more of a 2 1/2 miler

Fair enough, just couldn't get interested at the price in a race like this.
    Groody Hill looks the gamble at present..
    The Job is Right for me!

GL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

The weakest in the market
    Ipsos du berlais
    Ran a cracker at leopardstown and faded in the home straight..66-1 on betfair is a steal for a ridiculous riding weight! He may well be layed out for the irish national but at the weights he has a great chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Interesting to see how Briar Hill gets on, was so highly rated last year and seems to be a cast away these days

• Advertisement

Groody and Goonyella the pricewise horses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Anyone heading to Gowran tomorrow?

Going with a bus of lads from the local, really looking forward to it

Fancies are

Thunder Zone 1.15
    Monksland 2.15
    Railway Tommy 2.45
    The Job is Right 3.45

College Boy is very interesting in the 2.45 to win JP his own cash

He won it last year with a horse of Tom Foleys that proved to be well handicapped. could be the same with College Boy, must be on of the only Oscar progeny to ever win over 7f, loves heavy ground, ran on well last day back from a break

horse is a bit of an all or nothing character though which tempers enthusiasm, still good jock booked and will travel well out the back, has his chance, 10/1 very fair price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I hope nobody is coming in to look for advice they will end up backing the field!

In the search of a a bigger price I am going to go for Oscars Business at 16/1, his record on the ground, course and over the distance aren't bad.

He was only beaten 7 lengths by Own His Own in this race last year in similar ground, albeit in receipt of 20lbs so you would have to think the minor increase in weight since last year from 9-12 to 10-2 shouldn't be too much of a burden with first time blinkers to try sharpen him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

Just a quick pointer to people with regards to the, in my opinion, misleading stat about horses needing to carry less than 11 stone to win the Theyestes.

In the last 4 runnings, 2 horses have carried 11-6/11-7 to victory. Last year On His Own won when one of only 2 horses in the field carrying more than 11 stone (other was Ruby's mount Vesper Bell who finished down the field). In 2013, the 3 horses carrying more than 11 stone fell or unseated and in 2012, of the 4 horses carrying more than 11 stone, 3 filled the first 3 places.

Judged on recent runnings, certainly isn't a bad thing backing horses towards the head of the handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Isn't it wonderful to have such a brilliant meeting mid week. Regardless of the prize money etc a serious congrats to connections for showing up. How many times do we see horses ducking and diving each other not to meet each other. The hurdle race tomorrow could be put on any Saturday afternoon in England and still be a highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Anyone else think verawal and terabyn are overpriced in the first I do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

No pony in the game for the big race at Gowran today, but have a few for the other minor races.

3:40 Southwell - Hot Right Now (3/1) - This one is out for a seasonal reappearance after nearly a year off the track. Not too bothered about that though, given that it has won previously after being without a run for half a year. This horse looks especially interesting though if you strip out everything other than Southwell form. Over the 8f at Southwell, it has ran 4 times, finishing first 3 of those times, and a close second the fourth time. Question marks for me over whether Poppy Bond goes on this surface, and other co-favourite Queen Of The Skies was been beaten by my pick previously over course and distance, although weights will have shifted in it favour for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Jayo11780

I personally spoke to Paul Gilligan on Sunday (he trains horses for my old man) and he was very confident of Jadanli running a big race today - regardless of his age and recent form, he came 3rd in 2012, won in 2013 carrying 10 stone 7 and carries 4lbs lighter this time around.
    I stuck 10 ew on him at 50's in Ladbrokes as I think he will definitely be in the frame, perhaps without winning it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Have 5 for today. Three im serious about, other two just chancing my arm at small ew at big prices.

Gowran 3.15
    The Job is right 11/1

Meyden 2.45
    Speedhawk 6/2

Fakenham 2.30
    Full of beans 7/2

My 2 hope for the best bets
    Gowran 13.45
    Name that lad 66/1

Gowran 15.15
    jalandi 25/1

• Advertisement

cruais wrote: »
    Have 5 for today. Three im serious about, other two just chancing my arm at small ew at big prices.

Gowran 3.15
    The Job is right 11/1

Meyden 2.45
    Speedhawk 6/2

Fakenham 2.30
    Full of beans 7/2

My 2 hope for the best bets
    Gowran 13.45
    Name that lad 66/1

Gowran 15.15
    jalandi 25/1

Heres mine , hoping for that big payday

Gowran Park 15:15 Vasco Du Mee 25/1
    Meydan 15:55 - Hunting Ground 4/1
    Gowran Park 14:45 Dick Dundee 8/1
    Southwell 15:40 - Schottische 7/1

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

3xdoubles

1xtreble

Come Uppance 1:40 SW
    Mantou 1:50 War
    Briar Hill 2:15 Gow

3xdoubles

1xtreble

Ruby Valentine 2:00 Fak
    Pancake Day 2:40 SW
    Hawaii Five Nil 2:50 War

3xdoubles

1xtreble

Alright Benny 3:30 Fak
    Different Scene 4:10 SW
    Out Now 3:50 War

Make a track E/W in the Thyestes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Someone is trying to get a lot of money on McCoy's mount Groody Hill on betfair
    looking to be matched on the bet side:
    Odds
    13 €8,523
    13.5 €11,176
    14 €13,852
    14.5 €2,735

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Touch landed on dedigout. Classy horse, still probably a big pot in him during the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Now thats a decent horse.. any amount in hand over decent horses..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

aidankkk wrote: »
    Now thats a decent horse.. any amount in hand over decent horses..

Very Impressive. Whats his target? Would nearly have to go for the Gold Cup after that in what is a very open race. Has he an entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

Serious performance by Djak. Think they might go Ryanair route this year purely given he's still a 6 year old. Long Run did win the GC as a 6 year old but he was the first one since Mill House in 1963 and Mullins will probably want to look after him for another year.

Boyles still go 25s for the Ryanair and I've had a play at that price which is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

The first 5 home were carrying 10-12 or heavier, with top weight Djakadam an easy winner

stunning performance by the winner, hard to believe that Rubys first Tyestes winner. Intersting as that he is one of the youngest in the field. Bright future ahead

Previous winners also have a good record in the GN

• Advertisement

Heres mine , hoping for that big payday

Gowran Park 15:15 Vasco Du Mee 25/1
    Meydan 15:55 - Hunting Ground 4/1
    Gowran Park 14:45 Dick Dundee 8/1
    Southwell 15:40 - Schottische 7/1

nice lucky 15 oh yeah - was expecting about 14k for all four. but hey ill be happy with the 3

Advertisement