Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pats accused of under inflating game balls against the Colts (MOD WARNING #457)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Raf32 wrote: »

La Canfora has really been exposed the last few weeks. He's gotten so many head coaching speculations wrong, and this looks like another punt gone awry because Harbaugh has already said the Ravens didn't notice anything, and an NFL call to them this week was the first they heard about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

And maybe Sherman shouldn't be throwing stones from the Hawks PED built glass house?

Was just thinking that. Sherman the man who should have been banned for drug taking, but got off on a technicality. The Seahawks, the most drug ridden team in the league. I've lost count of all the PED bans they've had. Amazing to see the hypocrisy from some clowns.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

nerd69 wrote: »
    makes no difference if the d is not lined up the ball was snapped before the o-line was set they have to be set a few seconds before you can snap it

Are you confusing this with a play from the colts game? They ran a play against the colts were they didn't set and should have got a 5 yard penalty. None of the plays in that 4 O line formation had them not being set, the refs took their time and announced over stadium announcer the ineligible players.

By the way, talking about missed flags is not cheating and is a waste talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

bruschi wrote: »
    By the way, talking about missed flags is not cheating and is a waste talking about.
    If that's in reference to what I said about the Gronk hold, then I was only replying to the "illegal play" comment. Didn't say 'cheating', although it's just shades of grey.

If that's in reference to what I said about the Gronk hold, then I was only replying to the "illegal play" comment. Didn't say 'cheating', although it's just shades of grey.

its to all of it. there are missed flags in every game. I wouldnt at all equate it to a potential tampering of footballs. I just dont think throwing back about missed flags on the Seahawks is a way to defend the football issue, if it is an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Brady denying any involvement now as we speak.

Over to you NFL!

Brady denying any involvement now as we speak.

Over to you NFL!

one of the longest press conferences I've seen him do and it's still going and it's the same questions over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

one of the longest press conferences I've seen him do and it's still going and it's the same questions over and over.

Tom, did you notice the 2nd half was delayed 18secs?!?? and other stupid questions.

My god, that was awful, i felt for Tom. It was like he murdered somebody and we were talking about deflating footballs. Fair deuce to him, he stayed there way longer than he needed to.

My god if anybody is watching ESPN right now, its really something else.

Mark Brunell is actually crying thinking that the Patriots wont get in trouble: https://vine.co/v/OIpznA1DpXL

He's the only NFL person I've seen say that deflating the balls is a big deal, agenda much?

I've never seen him on ESPN before, did they just bring him out because he hates the Patriots or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,465 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hazys wrote: »

Mark Brunell is actually crying thinking that the Patriots wont get in trouble: https://vine.co/v/OIpznA1DpXL

He's the only NFL person I've seen say that deflating the balls is a big deal, agenda much?

I've never seen him on ESPN before, did they just bring him out because he hates the Patriots or something?

He'd want to cop onto himself in fairness.

• Advertisement

its to all of it. there are missed flags in every game. I wouldnt at all equate it to a potential tampering of footballs. I just dont think throwing back about missed flags on the Seahawks is a way to defend the football issue, if it is an issue.
    Yes, there are missed flagged in each game.
    I was referencing the "illegal play" comment, I didn't say anything about equating it to ball tampering. Thought I had made that clear in the previous post.

Hazys wrote: »

Mark Brunell is actually crying thinking that the Patriots wont get in trouble:

I don't have a problem with him not believing Tom; up to him. NFL could come out and totally clear the Pats and it won't make a difference to some people.
    But it did seem like he really wanted to say, "I don't want to believe what Tom had to say".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

This is flushing out a lot of bitter, bitter people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Vanolder wrote: »
    This is flushing out a lot of bitter, bitter people.

I dont think anyone is being bitter here. People just dont like cheaters in sport, its a fair reaction.

Yes, there are missed flagged in each game.
    I was referencing the "illegal play" comment, I didn't say anything about equating it to ball tampering. Thought I had made that clear in the previous post.

the whole discussion, it wasnt directed at your post

I dont think anyone is being bitter here. People just dont like cheaters in sport, its a fair reaction.
    Are you ten? Every team in every sport bends the rules ffs. Pats may or may not have got caught, if they did they'll be rightly punished and it will be onto the next 'scandal'.

Are you ten? Every team in every sport bends the rules ffs. Pats may or may not have got caught, if they did they'll be rightly punished and it will be onto the next 'scandal'.

You can dress it up as bending the rules or any way you want, if proved true its cheating plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You can dress it up as bending the rules or any way you want, if proved true its cheating plain and simple.

You must be pretty secure that your team has nothing to worry about in any way shape or form regarding pushing or bending the rules eh?

Will the league then have to dish out retrospective punishment to teams and players that did the same this year?

Yes, if proven, then it's cheating.
    Where's the proof that has led to the reaction?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

Will the league then have to dish out retrospective punishment to teams and players that did the same this year?

Wouldn't even bother wasting my time responding to these posts, some people just can't wait to get a dig in at the Patriots. If this was any other team it would only be getting half the coverage it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

If the Patriots do have to make a case to an NFL investigation, I'd be curious to know whether they'd have the audacity to claim a lack of knowledge of the rules as part of their defence, especially after the dressing down that Tom Brady gave to the Ravens, a few days ago, about their lack of knowledge of the rules and procedures regarding eligible receivers, after John Harbaugh cried foul.

It would be a bit hard to castigate your opponents for their alleged lack of knowledge of the rules one week and then claim that your own lack of knowledge of the rules as a defence for your own conduct a week later. If you claim that your opponent should know the rules, then so should you.

Why is it this Patriots vs the rest attitude in here? If the Colts did it and were found guilty Id want them equally as punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm finding it very hard to believe that the deflation of these balls, up to 24% I heard mentioned on WEEI yesterday, was the work of some lone equipment guy and that Belichick nor Bardy had zero knowledge of it.

In an organization where Belichick is as "hands on" as he is and is praised for being so prepared it just does not make sense that he would be ignorant of such a practice.

This story is not going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'm finding it very hard to believe that the deflation of these balls, up to 24% I heard mentioned on WEEI yesterday, was the work of some lone equipment guy and that Belichick nor Bardy had zero knowledge of it.

In an organization where Belichick is as "hands on" as he is and is praised for being so prepared it just does not make sense that he would be ignorant of such a practice.

This story is not going away.

If the Patriots deflated balls Brady would very likely be involved given it's him who would have the biggest say in how he likes them. Wouldn't be sure about Belichick. It takes no time at all to deflate them and he might not have known about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Well you see thats the thing, you shouldnt base your opinion on what you hear from some media outlet. We still have no official word to work with, no idea how under the regulation the ball or balls were, if indeed they even were at all but I think for argument sake we can work off the assumption that at least one of the game balls was not up to regulation pressure.

Until they come out and say how far below the line the ball or balls were, how many balls etc then its pretty redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

...the deflation of these balls, up to 24%...

Where the hell did this 24% come from? I heard people say 16% (Tom E. Curran in particular keeps saying it), but even that's completely wrong.

The measure shown on the gauge is relative to atmospheric pressure, which is approximately 14.7 psi. So, the percentage difference of the gas pressure inside the balls was the difference between 25 and 27 psi, which is 8%.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Assuming the officials okayed the balls this boils down to who let the air out and when, and if there was any advantage gained.

proving an advantage is tough

there was a wide receiver er in the 80's who put stickum on his hands and i think still holds the receiving yards record. They banned stickum the next year.

as to the cheating stuff, and as disclosure I'm 49ers, to me this is on the scale of the type of cheating that all teams commit all the time that draws penalties during games, specifically unsportsmanlike conduct or excessive force type cheating and is not on a par with salary cap breaches or tapping up players or spygate.

it will be interesting to see who let the air out and how much the token fine will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

CJC86 wrote: »
    Where the hell did this 24% come from? I heard people say 16% (Tom E. Curran in particular keeps saying it), but even that's completely wrong.

The measure shown on the gauge is relative to atmospheric pressure, which is approximately 14.7 psi. So, the percentage difference of the gas pressure inside the balls was the difference between 25 and 27 psi, which is 8%.

Heard it on WEEI. Cant recall the source, if thete even was one, could have been a throw away comment.
    I agree that we have to wait for the report.

What's most interesting is Brady's denial, as others have said he had a lot to gain, and its the way he feels the ball that would dictate how deflated or inflated they should be if the team are going to take such an action.

Advertisement