Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pats accused of under inflating game balls against the Colts (MOD WARNING #457)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Brady still has appeal but cant see him winning it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Raf32 wrote: »
    Brady still has appeal but cant see him winning it now.

Unless Goodell told Kraft to shut up about the team penalties and we'll free Brady.
    @barstoolsobol

Do you think Goodell made Kraft bring his own lube or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ftse100

"I'm going to accept, reluctantly, what (Roger Goodell) has given to us... We won't appeal." - Patriots owner Robert Kraft says at NFL Spring Meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Hazys wrote: »
    Unless Goodell told Kraft to shut up about the team penalties and we'll free Brady.

That would be the thinking. If not, I cant see how Brady wins his appeal now. Kraft folded so quickly from demanding an apology to threatening legal action to going back under Goodell's thumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Raf32 wrote: »
    That would be the thinking. If not, I cant see how Brady wins his appeal now. Kraft folded so quickly from demanding an apology to threatening legal action to going back under Goodell's thumb.

Yeah, the whole press conference was that he didn't want to piss off the old boys club of 32 elderly white men than do what he thought was right...joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

So what has all the hoo ha been over the past week?

Showboating and grandstanding for the fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

This is bizarre.

The fine and the draft picks were what I would have been most confident of getting back considering what was in (or wasn't in) the Wells Report.

I'm guessing an agreement has been made that the league will now look more favourable on Brady's individual appeal. Which is disappointing, because I don't mind Brady missing weeks 1-4. It's the draft picks I wanted back :(

Edit: Though I acknolwedge that perhaps Kraft is doing (accepting) this for Brady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Bob Kraft looks like an absolute clown in all this now.

This is bizarre.

The fine and the draft picks were what I would have been most confident of getting back considering what was in (or wasn't in) the Wells Report.

I'm guessing an agreement has been made that the league will now look more favourable on Brady's individual appeal. Which is disappointing, because I don't mind Brady missing weeks 1-4. It's the draft picks I wanted back :(

Edit: Though I acknolwedge that perhaps Kraft is doing (accepting) this for Brady.

I 100% agree with you. The 1-4 games without Brady wasn't a huge deal to me either the Draft picks are. Bray was always going to appeal and even if we lost the first 4 games we still have a shot at the playoffs. That draft pick hurts especially considering the Wells report exonerated Bill and Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I actually think its somewhat embarrassing for that 1st Round Pick to fine to stand.

Outrageous considering the circumstance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

It is strange considering they had 4 months to think about a strategy based of a best/worst case scenario on both the findings of the report and the sanction from the league. This looks like the worst of both worlds.

I'm not sure what has changed (or if there is a back channel agreement in place for the Brady appeal) but it would have looked far better for the organisation to have come out with this last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭DecStone

What Kraft said.

COMPLETE REMARKS FROM PATRIOTS OWNER ROBERT KRAFT
    Welcome everyone. Thank you for adjusting and being here this morning. You know, it's been an emotionally-charged couple of weeks as all of you know and I've been considering what my options are. And throughout this whole process, there have been two polarizing audiences: at one end of the spectrum, we've had Patriot fans throughout the country who have been so supportive and really, inspirational to us and believing in us. But I'm also mindful at the other end of the spectrum there are fans that should feel just the opposite.
    And what I've learned is the ongoing rhetoric continues to galvanize both camps. And I don't see that changing. And they will never agree.

But the one thing that we all can agree upon is the entire process has taken way too long. And I don't think anyone can believe that after four months of the AFC Championship game, we are still talking about air pressure and the PSI in footballs.
    So, I think I made it clear when the report came out that I didn't think it was fair. There was no hard evidence and everything was circumstantial. And at the same time, when the discipline came out, I felt it was way over the top, as it was unreasonable and unprecedented in my opinion. So I have two options: I can try to end it or extend it. And I have given a lot of thought to both options.

The first thing that came to mind is 21 years ago, I had the privilege of going to a meeting similar to what we're at here in Orlando, and being welcomed in an NFL owners' meeting. So here's a fan and a former season ticket holder living a dream and being welcomed in that room. And I got goose bumps that day, and I vowed at that time that I would do everything I could do to make the New England Patriots an elite team and hopefully respected throughout the country. And at the same time, do whatever I could do to try to help the NFL become the most popular sport in America.
    You know what I've learned over the last two decades is that the heart and soul of the strength of the NFL that is a partnership of 32 teams, and what's become very clear over those two decades, that at no time should the agenda of one team outweigh the collective good of the full 32.

So I have a way of looking at problems that are very strong in my mind and before I make a final decision, I measure nine times and I cut once. And I think maybe if I had made the decision last week it would be different than it is today. But believing in the strength of the partnership and the 32 teams, we have concentrated the power of adjudication of problems in the office of the commissioner. Although I might disagree with what is decided, I do have respect for the commissioner and believe that he's doing what he perceives to be in the best interest of the full 32.

So, in that spirit, I don't want to continue the rhetoric that's gone on for the last four months. I'm going to accept, reluctantly, what he has given to us, and not continue this dialogue and rhetoric. And we won't appeal.
    Now, I know that a lot of Patriot fans are going to be disappointed in that decision, but I hope they trust my judgment and know that I really feel at this point in time, that taking this off the agenda, this is the best thing for the New England Patriots, our fans and the NFL. And I hope you all can respect that. You know, I would normally take questions, but my desire is truly not to continue the rhetoric and so I'm going to leave this discussion exactly here. Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,559 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you read between the lines on what Kraft the statement reads 'One million dollars and a first and fourth round draft pick are a drop in the ocean compared to how much I'll make by negotiating the next tv rights package'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭DecStone

eagle eye wrote: »
    If you read between the lines on what Kraft the statement reads 'One million dollars and a first and fourth round draft pick are a drop in the ocean compared to how much I'll make by negotiating the next tv rights package'.

Exactly - this is not a big deal to him. And getting out and just getting on with the next season is the better part of valour. Dragging it out would not be good for team morale IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Something is going on in the background. Kraft agreeing to the suspension of the two guys, and now accepting this.

So, even though the report exonerates Bill and the organisation, they punishments are to the owner (the fine) and the picks (the GM).

Will we (the fans of the NFL) ever know what the hell going on behind those NFL doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Sounds like it is a case of being out of good options and taking the least worst one. As much as I hoped to see the Pats bring the hellfire, it is likely that Goodell has the support of a majority of the other owners. The only option to fight the punishment would be in court, which would likely be an expensive and damaging fight for the franchise.

Brady still has his appeal and I hope that Kraft and the organisation back him to the hilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

apparently kraft was looking for enough votes from fellow owners to give goodell the boot but as soon as he went looking realised that more of the owners than he had realised supported the pats being punished (although they did think it was a bit severe so that could possibly see them telling goodell to get rid of the brady suspension)

for the record that could all be absolute **** but i heard it on a podcast earlier and it does not seem out of this world. it would certainly explain krafts u-turn over the past few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

nerd69 wrote: »
    apparently kraft was looking for enough votes from fellow owners to give goodell the boot but as soon as he went looking realised that more of the owners than he had realised supported the pats being punished (although they did think it was a bit severe so that could possibly see them telling goodell to get rid of the brady suspension)

for the record that could all be absolute **** but i heard it on a podcast earlier and it does not seem out of this world. it would certainly explain krafts u-turn over the past few days

He realised that the NFL were in this for the long run and were not going to back down. The Pats are only a franchise at the end of the day and they would have struggled to change the decision. Brady needs to appeal to keep his reputation intact, but the best he can hope for is a small reduction in games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

nerd69 wrote: »

You hear a lot of things on podcasts and I seriously doubt Kraft wanted Goodell booted out. I was widely reported that Kraft and Goodell were seen at a party last weekend for Sean Walsh, they sat alone for some time on a couch and were seen giving each other a warm embrace. So based on that evidence that was widely reported, I don't swallow the Kraft looking for Goodell's head claim. They have been close friends for way too long for that to happen. I'd say Kraft's problem is with the former Jets populating the league office. This whole overinflated nonsense wasn't on the agenda at the owners meeting and any private discussions that may have occurred, occurred far from the media spotlight. Not that that would ever stop some media mouth piece from claiming to have an inside track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

skippymac6 wrote: »
    He realised that the NFL were in this for the long run and were not going to back down. The Pats are only a franchise at the end of the day and they would have struggled to change the decision. Brady needs to appeal to keep his reputation intact, but the best he can hope for is a small reduction in games.

You couldn't be more wrong. If Kraft had gone nuclear on this and taking it to federal court. A federal judge would have ripped the speculative work of fiction that is Wells report apart. They would also have ripped Goodell a new arsé hole. Goodell was on the ropes last season when a federal judge slaughtered him over the Rice affair and basically called him a liar in court. The last thing the NFL wanted, was for this to get outside the biased and prejudiced remit of the NFL.

Ironically, it was Kraft's very strong & public statement of support for Goodell, just when Goodell was on his knees that saved his job. Kraft was never going to go Federal because he was always too much of a mediator. Back in 2011 when we nearly had no football, it was Kraft that stepped in and saved the season through tactful negotiations. The NFLPA couldn't stop praising the man and pretty much wouldn't negotiate with anyone else.

No wonder Pats fans are pissed, Kraft turned down a great chance to seriously hurt the NFL and give the league office a shake up and flush out some of the cretins in there. But as man who has always come across as an negotiator and compromiser, his decision doesn't surprise me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

No wonder Pats fans are pissed, Kraft turned down a great chance to seriously hurt the NFL and give the league office a shake up and flush out some of the cretins in there.
    I don't know. We may never know the real reason why he accepted the punishment.

Reports all say that Brady could now avoid suspension altogether as part of some deal. Which is really incredible.
    Tom is pointed at by the report, but could get off.
    And Bill/Robert are exonerated in the report, but get hit with picks/fines.

If that does happen, then the report was just pointless (or simple more of a waste than it already was).

You couldn't be more wrong. If Kraft had gone nuclear on this and taking it to federal court. A federal judge would have ripped the speculative work of fiction that is Wells report apart. They would also have ripped Goodell a new arsé hole. Goodell was on the ropes last season when a federal judge slaughtered him over the Rice affair and basically called him a liar in court. The last thing the NFL wanted, was for this to get outside the biased and prejudiced remit of the NFL. .

It's unfair to say he couldn't be more wrong. The truth is likely we will never fully know the reasons. It may well have been that Kraft saw the NFLs resolve to fight and reckoned it was best for all parties to back down and accept the punishment. Perhaps the Patriots did not want to go to federal court as they were afraid the discovery process might uncover more? Maybe they were not confident of Brady's word, maybe they were not confident of McNally and Jastremski testifying under oath? Kraft may have tested the waters at the owners meeting and found himself isolated? It may be part of a deal to get Brady's name cleared.

Neither party wanted this to go to court it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Brady's image is tarnished regardless of the appeal. It would probably have been hurt less if he came out with the truth himself.

Not surprised the Pats saw sense. The rest of the NFL would never have been in any mood to indulge Kraft. Love how some Pats fans still won't admit defeat and think they had a case for the punishments to be overturned. Collective bargaining lads. Kraft was happy enough to vest the power to make these sort of decisions in Goodell when his own organisation wasn't under the microscope.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Syferus wrote: »
    Brady's image is tarnished regardless of the appeal. It would probably have been hurt less if he came out with the truth himself.

Not surprised the Pats saw sense. The rest of the NFL would never have been in any mood to indulge Kraft. Love how some Pats fans still won't admit defeat and think they had a case for the punishments to be overturned. Collective bargaining lads. Kraft was happy enough to vest the power to make these sort of decisions in Goodell when his own organisation wasn't under the microscope.

you might extend that to others than just Pats fans, considering quote a few on here alone felt they had more than a reasonable case to get it overturned. how could you say that there was no case for it to be overturned, considering the Wells report stated the organisation had nothing to do with it, that the coaching staff or hierarchy had nothing to do with it, and that the NFL recommended punishment was based at $25k.

but hey, I suppose it is easy enough to keep taking the pot shots at the Pats fans on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

You couldn't be more wrong. If Kraft had gone nuclear on this and taking it to federal court. A federal judge would have ripped the speculative work of fiction that is Wells report apart. They would also have ripped Goodell a new arsé hole. Goodell was on the ropes last season when a federal judge slaughtered him over the Rice affair and basically called him a liar in court. The last thing the NFL wanted, was for this to get outside the biased and prejudiced remit of the NFL.

Ironically, it was Kraft's very strong & public statement of support for Goodell, just when Goodell was on his knees that saved his job. Kraft was never going to go Federal because he was always too much of a mediator. Back in 2011 when we nearly had no football, it was Kraft that stepped in and saved the season through tactful negotiations. The NFLPA couldn't stop praising the man and pretty much wouldn't negotiate with anyone else.

No wonder Pats fans are pissed, Kraft turned down a great chance to seriously hurt the NFL and give the league office a shake up and flush out some of the cretins in there. But as man who has always come across as an negotiator and compromiser, his decision doesn't surprise me at all.

Ah I think you're going a bit over the top there. Yes if it got all the way to Federal Court it could have been rescinded but that is purely speculation on anyone's behalf. As most people have already said, there would have been massive talk behind the scenes in the Pat's organisation and this course of action has been decided as the best one.

The punishment is over the top but I think most of the general NFL public thinks there was some element of wrong doing on the Pat's behalf. They will still be well in a playoff race after the first four games and even though a first round pick is a massive loss, they will still only be one year removed from Superbowl champs by the time 2016 rolls around, so their roster will hardly be in dissarray.

The main thing in all this is Brady's legacy and perhaps Kraft thinks by playing ball with the draft picks and fines with Goddell allows him to hear Brady's appeal more sympathetically. I guess we'll never know that but in the long run, while this approach will obviously anger Pat's fans, a long drawn out saga through the court system was with neither side wanted, even though it might have garnered a different outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

You hear a lot of things on podcasts and I seriously doubt Kraft wanted Goodell booted out. I was widely reported that Kraft and Goodell were seen at a party last weekend for Sean Walsh, they sat alone for some time on a couch and were seen giving each other a warm embrace. So based on that evidence that was widely reported, I don't swallow the Kraft looking for Goodell's head claim. They have been close friends for way too long for that to happen. I'd say Kraft's problem is with the former Jets populating the league office. This whole overinflated nonsense wasn't on the agenda at the owners meeting and any private discussions that may have occurred, occurred far from the media spotlight. Not that that would ever stop some media mouth piece from claiming to have an inside track.
    i do listen to a lot. turns out that was bollocks (courtesy of peter king by the way) but a lot of the time certain guys are correct. ya given how they where acting its hard to believe kraft was doing anything like that behind the scenes

no its not tarnished there will be a select few people with vendettas that will claim brady won off cheating but they where going to claim that before this ever happened and frankly they are wrong you dont win 4 superbowls by filming from the wrong place or slightly deflating the football you win them from being an all time great.

Kraft caved to the other owners simple as. He didn't get full support and pussied out of appealing. Money talked in this and realised it would be better to keep the other owners and Goodell on his side.

Don't forget Kraft like Goodell can be outed by the other owners. I saw some Pats fans say he can't on other forums. But he can. If Kraft felt it would be better to cave to the wishes of the NFL and the other owners to protect his money then that is what he was going to do.

Sad that money talks more than the integrity of your own Franchise. If people believe he made the decision because he thought the organisation was guilty then you are way off. He caved to peer pressure to protect his Franchise.

No its not. He will still go first ballot HOF regardless of what people think of him now. Those with common sense know those footballs played no part in his success.

Still only coming in to take shots eh? Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Brady's image is tarnished regardless of the appeal. .

Ah here will you stop the nonsense. You're embarrassing us rival fans here. Hate and jealousy is normal for some in the face of a rivals brilliance. But in your case, you appear to be losing all sense of reality and perspective.
    It would probably have been hurt less if he came out with the truth himself.

Dear God, have you any idea what you're saying? Do you mean the report that proved absolutely nothing? Christ I can be jealous at a rival team like the next man, but I'm not going to suspend reality while doing it.

• Advertisement

Ah here will you stop the nonsense. You're embarrassing us rival fans here. Hate and jealousy is normal for some in the face of a rivals brilliance. But in your case, you appear to be losing all sense of reality and perspective.

Hardly nonsense to suggest that after 4 months of allegations and the harshest penalty (equal greatest fine) ever handed to a team in the history of the NFL, and an impending suspension for cheating that this will not be used against him. I like Brady, I think he's an amazing player, but he has been plastered all over mainstream websites for weeks now. Of course it will be used as a knock against him, forevermore, fairly or unfairly. I actually think the biggest punishment through all of this, is the implication (confirmation?) this has on Brady's reputation as being a cheater - maybe I'm being naïve thinking this.

I tend not to go in for greatest ever conversations, but you can bet your bottom dollar this will rear it's head when they take place.

Advertisement