Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish fathers look set to benefit from two weeks paid paternity leave

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

syklops wrote: »
    It surely comes out of their PRSI contributions over the past number of years?

Employers are not obliged to offer paid maternity leave. If they opt to, they can just pay the wage minus state maternity benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

"The ladies" being... one lady (CarpeDiem85) who isn't actually opposed to it?

http://www.a1gifts.co.uk/images/prodimages/SS1002L-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The dad certainly does not need a "good stint". 2 weeks of paid leave for having a child with a girl? Sounds good.

Whether or not the father needs the time off, it would certainly be beneficial to the mother having her partner around for some additional support in the early days. My sister in law had two caesareans and I know that her mobility was limited for some time after each. While my brother took as much time off as he could, an extra couple of weeks would have been a huge help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,389 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Make two separate things: Parental leave and pregnancy leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Smurph90

I actually cant believe that people are having issues with fathers getting time off. Some people just love a good moan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

They should have it or longer. I had two c sections & was immobile for up to 6 weeks after each.
    The first time around I had the new baby to mind but the second time there was a 16mth old as well & new arrival.
    There is also no driving for 6 weeks after c section - trips to the GP were required.
    The first few weeks with a new baby are so crazy. Or our experiences were anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Farther should get a month or 2 paid maternity leave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Smurph90 wrote: »
    I actually cant believe that people are having issues with fathers getting time off. Some people just love a good moan
    Their taxes etc.

Meh, worth it IMO. It benefits society, not just individuals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

It benefits society, not just individuals.

How? Don't most just dump the kids in crèches and childminders once they hit a year old anyway.

Really we don't care about our kids anymore let someone else look after them seems to be the motto

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'd rather he took more time unpaid leave then have taxpayers fund whatever he wants to do with the kid though I do agree with a bit more than 2 weeks on offer. Perhaps an option for the mother to give some of her allocation to him?

Equality shouldn't be optional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

kowloon wrote: »
    Make two separate things: Parental leave and pregnancy leave.

Very good idea.

macyard wrote: »
    How? Don't most just dump the kids in crèches and childminders once they hit a year old anyway.

Really we don't care about our kids anymore let someone else look after them seems to be the motto

AH guide:

1: Pay for exorbitant childcare in order to work so you can pay mortgage/astronomical rents and contribute taxes to economy: bad parents

2: Don't work and are unable to pay mortgage/astronomical rents and contribute taxes to economy: bum sponging off 'my taxes'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

thee glitz wrote: »
    I see what you did there but hopefully this will happen sooner.

The bill is only being crafted at this stage. A long way to go yet.

My employer already gives 2 weeks paid paternity leave. Will this make much difference at all?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The bill is only being crafted at this stage. A long way to go yet.

My employer already gives 2 weeks paid paternity leave. Will this make much difference at all?.

Not to you. But it will to all the other men out there who are entitled to zero paid paternity leave.

Two weeks is nothing. But at the same time it is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Some men are glad to get back to work after a few days:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

We need the swedish solution where the parents are given a set amount between them that they get to split however they want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Ireland being a modern progressive country, it really is shocking the appalling way fathers are treated in the eyes of the law and state. What ever chance married dads have, unmarried dads are fcuked. It's disgraceful.

Actually that's an important point. Would a father have to be married to the mother in order to qualify for the leave? It wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

How many companies in Ireland are giving out about this... I know mine is most likely foaming at the mouth at the thought of allowing people leave from work after their child is born. It is hard enough to get a sick day...

This is something that should be in place for the past 10 years, it is long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Hopefully men can start having the babies soon too. Share the pain :)

I'm willing to bet there'll be male transsexuals in the future that'll have donated wombs put into them... now whether that would work or not is a different story... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

I think its a great idea its about time, when I had my baby my oartner only got a week off work its was tough already having two children but most important was the bond should be same for mother and father after all we both made them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

FatherTed wrote: »
    So who actually pays for these paid maternity and paternity leaves? Say I own a company with 100 people and this year 5 women go on maternity leave and 2 guys go on this paternity leave. Does my company pay for their leave or is it the state?
    The state pays the paternity/maternity benefit, you do not have to pay the employee for the time off.

How it affects employers is that they are required to keep the job open for the employee and the employee continues to notch up holiday entitlements while on maternity leave.

Two weeks for men is pittance, but it's something at least. I took 3 weeks out of my holidays and I needed 3 more.

There is a benefit to employers in this. Any parent will tell you that during the first 8 weeks you barely know your own name. Fathers coming into work can be a liability and are better off staying home and helping with the workload there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet there'll be male transsexuals in the future that'll have donated wombs put into them... now whether that would work or not is a different story... :pac:

The other week I saw a news article that about someone who was the first man to give birth. I was like, wow, WTF is this? Then reading it it turned out that it was a trans man. ie, they were really a woman with a few cosmetic and hormonal procedures to make them look like a man. Stupid, misleading article.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The reality is that the mother needs the leave from work more than the man. There is naturally an option for the father to take unpaid leave but this isn't too practical. I don't see why a father would need paid leave for anywhere near as long as the mother if he only needs to bond with it.

You're assuming that

1) The man doesn't care for the child as much
    2) The woman might have a better paying job.

Assuming that the woman is always going to be a stay at home mother is pretty sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I think my company gave me 2 days. I took 2 weeks annual leave anyway.

I would have liked a month or so, really felt I missed out on some bonding / routine stuff.
    Still, 2 weeks paid is a step in the right direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

BeerWolf wrote: »

Inb4 the trannys come in giving out saying the mtfs are called trans women

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

seamus wrote: »
    Two weeks for men is pittance, but it's something at least. I took 3 weeks out of my holidays and I needed 3 more.

A guy I work with ended up using up most of his holiday time before the birth. His wife had a difficult pregnancy and was in hospital for a few weeks. By the time the baby arrived he only had a few days left to take off. That was in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Step in the right direction for equality.

Won't it be difficult for employers though in terms of notice before the father goes on leave. The baby could be 2 weeks early, 2 weeks late, on time and the father won't know til it happens. The father is probably not going to be replaced over the 2 weeks so there could be hassle for him getting away from work for exactly the first 2 weeks after the birth. He won't know if he can attend a meeting in such a week etc. It's easier for the mother as she has to give notice that her maternity leave is starting on X date. It would be a shame if fathers got their leave in say weeks 3 and 4 instead.

Maybe though it will work like force majeure type leave and the father won't have to give notice.

Would much prefer if maternity and paternity leave could be shared and father could take some of his leave concurrently with mother if he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Marz66 wrote: »
    Would much prefer if maternity and paternity leave could be shared and father could take some of his leave concurrently with mother if he wanted.
    My concern with this would always be that they would keep it at six months and allow it to be shared. Which doesn't really help anyone.

Equality can really only go so far; the process of childbirth is massively inequal, and you cannot legislate yourself out of that fact. Women need to breastfeed, they may be uncomfortable or downright infirm following the birth, and by and large women will have more sleep loss and stress than men.

So I think that still needs to be recognised and certain minimum levels of parental leave guaranteed. Something like nine months paid shared leave in total; a maximum of seven can be taken by the mother and a maximum of four by the father.

In the event that either parent dies or is absent, the entire balance goes to the other parent.

Grayson wrote: »
    A guy I work with ended up using up most of his holiday time before the birth. His wife had a difficult pregnancy and was in hospital for a few weeks. By the time the baby arrived he only had a few days left to take off. That was in June.

Kinda the same for me. My missus had a terrible birth on our first kid and was near enough immobilized for a while so I had to take annual leave to look after them when my company paternity leave (2 days) ran out.

It's interesting to read about the marriage thing as I never considered that in relation to paternity leave. Marriage automatically makes a father the guardian of the child, otherwise you have to apply for it. I assume you'd have to be the guardian of the child to get paternity leave if it's brought in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

seamus wrote: »
    My concern with this would always be that they would keep it at six months and allow it to be shared. Which doesn't really help anyone.

Equality can really only go so far; the process of childbirth is massively inequal, and you cannot legislate yourself out of that fact. Women need to breastfeed, they may be uncomfortable or downright infirm following the birth, and by and large women will have more sleep loss and stress than men.

So I think that still needs to be recognised and certain minimum levels of parental leave guaranteed. Something like nine months paid shared leave in total; a maximum of seven can be taken by the mother and a maximum of four by the father.

In the event that either parent dies or is absent, the entire balance goes to the other parent.

this is exactly what they need to do but i'd change it to a maximum of 7 months for either parent, plus it would even the score on hiring in companies, they could hire a man and after his probation period he could take his paternity leave and be missing just the same as a woman can. it would by default even up the hiring process for both genders.

Advertisement