Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish fathers look set to benefit from two weeks paid paternity leave

Options
  • 21-01-2015 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

EQUALITY MINISTER AODHÁN Ó Ríordáin has said he is confidence the provision of two weeks of paid paternity leave will be included in the Family Leave Bill, which is currently being drafted.

The bill will consolidate current provisions for maternity, adoptive, parental and carer’s leave into the one piece of legislation. Speaking to RTÉ’s Prime Time programme tonight, the junior minister said paternity leave in Ireland is “something we are well behind on”.

“Most European countries have statutory paternity leave. We don’t. I think an introduction of two weeks paid paternity leave would be welcome,” he said.

"I am as confident as I can be at this stage that there will be two weeks paid paternity leave in that legislation but there is no definite in Irish politics. Things can change and priorities can change but I know that I’m committed to it and I know that Minister Fitzgerald is committed to it and as I say it’s an important start to the conversation about what we want from Irish society for children for parents, for families."

http://www.thejournal.ie/paternity-leave-1893419-Jan2015/

A welcome development. Two weeks isn't an awful lot, but it's a start. I would propose six months(as the next step) parental leave which could be shared between the couple. So one partner could take all the six months, or they could split it three months each or however they wanted to break it down.

In Czech Republic, new parents can take anything from two to four years parental leave (rodičovská dovolená) between them. Support is proportionate to the length of leave that they decide on. Roughly, those on the two year plan can expect CZK 11,400 per month(roughly 1/2 the average monthly wage) while those opting for three years get CZK 7,600 per month. It drops a bit for the fourth(can't remember exact figures off the top of my head.

We should be looking to eventually introduce something similar.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

my company gives 2 weeks already.. hopefully this means 4 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Deadly, I'm going to get me some kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Half a loaf is better than no bread I suppose, in saying that I also got two weeks full pay for each of my kids when they were born, but in the grand scheme of things, it's Shag all time, you've not really bonded with the baby (not properly) and the wife was still in pain/exhausted especially with other kids to sort out as well as a new born.

Still, step in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Hopefully men can start having the babies soon too. Share the pain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Any ideas how long this may take to get passed?

• Advertisement

I have no issue with men getting paternity leave as long as it doesn't shorten the mothers maternity leave. I needed all the time I got and more to recover physically and emotionally from pregnancy, child birth and breastfeeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

I have no issue with men getting paternity leave as long as it doesn't shorten the mothers maternity leave. I needed all the time I got and more to recover physically and emotionally from pregnancy, child birth and breastfeeding.

Unfortunately that's like something that could happen. I'd sooner let the mam use the allowance if needed than use it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Hopefully men can start having the babies soon too. Share the pain :)

And hopefully women start becoming the major breadwinners so men can use their wages to support the family and not the mans. Oh look at us both making stupid statements

thee glitz wrote: »
    Any ideas how long this may take to get passed?

Averages out at about nine months.

It's called tongue in cheek and darling I am the main breadwinner in my family! Just don't take from the mothers 26 weeks and I'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Averages out at about nine months.

I see what you did there but hopefully this will happen sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

That it isn't equal is bullsh!t but regardless this is a great first step and a great day for mens' rights.
    I strongly predict that the first objections to this will come from "Alive!" type Christian fundamentalist groups who object to anything which takes society out of the stone age :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

So far in the thread the only ones opposed to it are the ladies, who we all know, love their equality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

They're not opposed just hoping it happens concurrent to their own maternity leave :rolleyes:

Happening as well as, as opposed to instead of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

The reality is that the mother needs the leave from work more than the man. There is naturally an option for the father to take unpaid leave but this isn't too practical. I don't see why a father would need paid leave for anywhere near as long as the mother if he only needs to bond with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I don't see why a father would need paid leave for anywhere near as long as the mother if he only needs to bond with it.
    Well even if not as long as the mother, certainly a lot longer than what's on offer at the moment IMO.
    Definitely a lot more to it for him than just bonding.

So far in the thread the only ones opposed to it are the ladies, who we all know, love their equality.
    "The ladies" being... one lady (CarpeDiem85) who isn't actually opposed to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The reality is that the mother needs the leave from work more than the man. There is naturally an option for the father to take unpaid leave but this isn't too practical. I don't see why a father would need paid leave for anywhere near as long as the mother if he only needs to bond with it.

I don't see it being a case of a mother being expected to go back to work after a few weeks so dad can stay home. Hopefully it will allow dad to take time off after the birth when he's really needed. The mother only needs time off to recover from the birth and to breastfeed. Plenty of self employed women or those in college go back and manage.

Well even if not as long as the mother, certainly a lot longer than what's on offer at the moment IMO.
    Definitely a lot more to it for him than just bonding.

I'd rather he took more time unpaid leave then have taxpayers fund whatever he wants to do with the kid though I do agree with a bit more than 2 weeks on offer. Perhaps an option for the mother to give some of her allocation to him?

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't see it being a case of a mother being expected to go back to work after a few weeks so dad can stay home.
    Same here. It's in addition to maternity leave isn't it? Both parents being at home for a good stint with a new baby would be heaven-sent to lots of parents I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I want mine fcuking backdated.

Same here. It's in addition to maternity leave isn't it? Both parents being at home for a good stint with a new baby would be heaven-sent to lots of parents I'd imagine.

The dad certainly does not need a "good stint". 2 weeks of paid leave for having a child with a girl? Sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

porsche959 wrote: »
    It is quite amusing to see one of the most right wing AH posters celebrate this.

You know that people can take different stances on different issues, right?

I don't see why a father would need paid leave for anywhere near as long as the mother if he only needs to bond with it.

Absolutely, as that would be just gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

So who actually pays for these paid maternity and paternity leaves? Say I own a company with 100 people and this year 5 women go on maternity leave and 2 guys go on this paternity leave. Does my company pay for their leave or is it the state?

FatherTed wrote: »
    So who actually pays for these paid maternity and paternity leaves? Say I own a company with 100 people and this year 5 women go on maternity leave and 2 guys go on this paternity leave. Does my company pay for their leave or is it the state?

Your company.

Apparently you have to give the lazy thieving bastards paid holidays, lunch breaks and workplace toilets as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Just don't take from the mothers 26 weeks and I'll be happy.

Maternal leave should be for recuperation and so the mother could provide the necessary immediate needs of the new born. Paternal leave would be an add on to that and divided between the couple as they deem fit.

I wasn't suggesting that your maternal leave would be touched, only that we should further expand on it and introduce paternal leave too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

FatherTed wrote: »

You clearly dont own a company of 100 people. Although some of the people I have worked for, maybe you do.

It surely comes out of their PRSI contributions over the past number of years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Ireland being a modern progressive country, it really is shocking the appalling way fathers are treated in the eyes of the law and state. What ever chance married dads have, unmarried dads are fcuked. It's disgraceful.

Advertisement