Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New anti-terrorism laws for Ireland to be introduced ‘within weeks’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Is Ireland not well served by offenses against the state act

It would seem not:
    The legislation due to be introduced shortly will see it being a criminal offence to direct or train those involved in “terrorist acts and terrorism”, said Flanagan.

Which makes me wonder what they've being been doing for 90 odd years!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

But we are in the Big EU now, we needs laws that override our own laws, Just like the Human rights courts!

Oh no! Not the terrible oppressive Human Rights court... which by the way is not a part of the EU.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

mikom wrote: »
    Gerry Adams bashing in 3, 2, 1...........

It's because he has a beard. Terrorists always have beards.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Then they'll become stateless, and exiled... they can **** off to the Middle East if they love it's way of life and laws there.

And it's not hard to spot a radical with what they preach...

Some people might think that calling for the deportation of all scary people is a bit radical....

Not me though. I'm intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

I'd like to see this guys naturalised citizenship revoked.
    A High Court judge has sought clarification in the case of a man wanted to face international terrorism charges in the United States.

Ali Charaf Damache (50), an Algerian-born Irish citizen who has been living here for a decade, is wanted in the United States to face charges relating to the conspiracy to provide material support for terrorists and attempted identity theft to facilitate an act of international terrorism.

http://courtsnewsireland.ie/judge-ali-damache-case-seeks-clarification/2015/01/20/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

That link is asking for all kinds of personal details before we can see the dirt on this fellow.

Nice try, Mr Security Services trainee!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm not into any conspiracy theorys, but im cynical about any "anti-terrorism" law. I mean, there's virtually no threat. Just a little bit more freedom given up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

bear1 wrote: »
    Fighting for terrorism and illegal groups. ISIS, Al'Qaeda etc.

But if Irish people want to go abroad and murder on behalf of the British army or the Americans, that's ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm not into any conspiracy theorys, but im cynical about any "anti-terrorism" law. I mean, there's virtually no threat. Just a little bit more freedom given up

What about that guy in the UK who said that Ireland is on their radar due to helping the Americans re fuel in Shannon?

Seems like a legit threat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ulinbac wrote: »
    What about that guy in the UK who said that Ireland is on their radar due to helping the Americans re fuel in Shannon?

Seems like a legit threat
    So all we need is for one guy to say something for our country to shít itself and bring in emergency legslation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

So, it'll only take a few weeks for the public to be lucky enough to have some freedom revoked, but it takes a whole fucking referendum to decide on whether or not gays can have some rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Should be wary of any new laws like this, which could infringe upon civil liberties - what is the precise need that Ireland has for these laws?

Given the nebulous and changeable nature of the word 'terrorism', todays 'terrorism' laws, could easily be applied to tomorrows political groups and protestors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

I don't see why? also unless they have been reformed over the last 20 years, Ireland has some of the most restrictive anti terror laws, and doesn't need any more.

Is this Flangan any relation to Oliver J

Yep. Charlie Flanagan is a chip off the Ol block and he shot well out of his thick father's mickie ... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I think revoking passports is a good idea. People can't be going around the world causing trouble then using an Irish passport as a safety net. But i'm sure we're going to have the people complaining about their rights and all that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

BBJBIG wrote: »
    Yep. Charlie Flanagan is a chip off the Ol block and he shot well out of his thick father's mickie ... :mad:

I hadn't heard of his father so I googled him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_J._Flanagan
    He used his maiden speech in the Dáil to urge the government to "rout the Jews out of this country":

“ How is it that we do not see any of these [Emergency Powers] Acts directed against the Jews, who crucified Our Saviour nineteen hundred years ago, and who are crucifying us every day in the week? How is it that we do not see them directed against the Masonic Order? How is it that the I.R.A. is considered an illegal organisation while the Masonic Order is not considered an illegal organisation? [...] There is one thing that Germany did, and that was to rout the Jews out of their country. Until we rout the Jews out of this country it does not matter a hair's breadth what orders you make. Where the bees are there is the honey, and where the Jews are there is the money.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Ireland has anti-assault laws but if you break them you get a stern talking to. I'd imagine breaking these anti-terrorism laws my get you a stern talking to AND be told to cop on y'eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Zebra3 wrote: »
    But if Irish people want to go abroad and murder on behalf of the British army or the Americans, that's ok?

So you're saying that joining a foreign LEGAL army is the equivalent of joining a barbaric entity such as ISIS?
    Is joining either the British or American army now considered an illegal terrorist group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

So you're saying that joining a foreign LEGAL army is the equivalent of joining a barbaric entity such as ISIS?
    Is joining either the British or American army now considered an illegal terrorist group?
    As messed up as it is, ISIS pretty much are in control of a huge swathe of territory, which constitutes a country - the borders just haven't settled yet - and there's no getting rid of them now.

The US fúcked up, got their ass kicked in Iraq and pissed off an enormous number of people in the region (pretty much feeding/creating ISIS in the process), and now Iraq has broken up into rougly 3 separate regions - one of them controlled by ISIS. Pretty soon, there's not going to be a whole lot of difference between ISIS and a bonafide foreign army (in many ways, they could already be considered one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

mikom wrote: »
    Gerry Adams bashing in 3, 2, 1...........

Shinnerbots in 6,5,4,3,2,1...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

As messed up as it is, ISIS pretty much are in control of a huge swathe of territory, which constitutes a country - the borders just haven't settled yet - and there's no getting rid of them now.

The US fúcked up, got their ass kicked in Iraq and pissed off an enormous number of people in the region (pretty much feeding/creating ISIS in the process), and now Iraq has broken up into rougly 3 separate regions - one of them controlled by ISIS. Pretty soon, there's not going to be a whole lot of difference between ISIS and a bonafide foreign army (in many ways, they could already be considered one).
    This a very good point.....though should Irish passports be removed from all who go to fight in foreign armies so....as imo there is little difference between fighting a war on the side of Isis than on the other side....neither are going to emerge from that civil war with good reputatioms!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Je suis bandwagon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Directing terrorism is already an offence in Ireland. We already have some of the most anti-terror legislation in the western world.

Charlie Flannagan is indeed the son of that horrible Nazi ****bag Oliver. However, Charlie seems to need to demonstrate that he is different from his da by being daftly pro-Israel.

His speech to the UN last year blaming the last Gaza conflict entirely on the Palestinians was disgusting. His job is to represent the Irish people, not go on some solo run to prove that he's not like his da.

This fella is totally unsuitable for his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

BBJBIG wrote: »

Charlie Flanagan is very outspoken about terrorism and has been one of the most vocal critics of the IRA and Sinn Fein. Which is rather ironic when one looks at his father.

First off, Oliver J Flanagan was attracted to these guys. The Monetary Reform Party:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monetary_Reform_Party

Sounds a LOT like the Anti Austerity Alliance, People Before Profit type of thing? Yes. So, Charlie's father was basically involved in the 1940s equivalent of the Irish Water protesters. But this was the most harmless of the 2.

Try the other party he was associated with. The Architects of the Resurrection, an ultra nationalist party much more extreme than the Provos ever were:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailtir%C3%AD_na_hAis%C3%A9irghe

These were a Taliban-type outfit determined to make the Irish language and Catholicism the only parts of Irish culture.

Of course, Fine Gael has always been perceived to have had a fascist and extremist past that Fianna Failers always like to play on. The Blueshirts is the derogatory name used for them and that organisation was a rather harmless would be fascist army set up by future Fine Gaelers back in the 1940s. But OJF's associations are far from these: The Monetary Reform party, though officially considered 'far right', was obviously 100% a communist/far left party similar to Ruth Coppinger's views while the Ailtiri were 100% a Nazi/ISIS type outfit. Being Ireland, the theme of Catholicism and Irish language zeal came into them and the hatred of the Jews too of course who were blamed by all right and left fanatics for all the problems at the time.

People like OJF and Sean Treacy, who appeared harmless by the 1980s/1990s, were in the Ailtiri. But if their original parties had been more successful, things could have been very different.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's not for us to decide who the terrorists are.
    That's a job for our noble leaders.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭world_weary

Big Liberal then

yes , liberals are just what we need to deal with those lads in ISIS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭DeadHand

We'd be much better off scrapping the shameful blasphemy law than drafting these largely cosmetic new ones.

And tighten up our immigration laws considerably to make it as difficult as possible for any possible extremist to settle here.

Clever people solve problems, wise people avoid them in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Je suis bandwagon

Gullible, Its being swallowed hook line and sinker throughout the land.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd also be skeptical about this. Looking back on Irish history, legal measures have been taken by the state to ensure any threats to it are dealt with in a harsh manner - between internment and heavy police state. That the effective immigration policies have lead to a segment of the population disentangled with the state institutions (which to be fair so has a large measure of the non-immigrant population) is more due to the hollowness at the heart of the Irish ruling classes which will not be served by knee-jerk reactionary authoritarian laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Gullible, Its being swallowed hook line and sinker throughout the land.

Memes are too easy to consume, they don't require any reflection.

Before anyone has a go, I will make it clear that I think what happened was disgusting. People should be allowed to publish whatever, especially if it's lampooning something dogmatic and silly. The people who carried out this attack are ****ing cowards, who only care about themselves.

HOWEVER, this comes at far too convenient a time. I feel like everyone is trying to capitalise on the atrocity. I have remained relatively silent here, because I don't feel like I'm familiar enough with Charlie Hebdo to make a fully valid contribution, but I will say I agree with the statment from Bernard Holtrop, on all the sudden support for the magazine.

How is this relevant to the thread, you might ask? Do you really think we'd have such rushed legislation being proposed if this wasn't such a fuccking popular issue to have an opinion on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

I don't feel like I'm familiar enough with Charlie Hebdo to make a fully valid contribution, but I will say I agree with the statment from Bernard Holtrop, on all the sudden support for the magazine.

Most people support freedom of speech, expression and the victims of terrorism. Not just the magazine.
    Do you really think we'd have such rushed legislation being proposed if this wasn't such a fuccking popular issue to have an opinion on?

There are currently at least 3,000 European based Jihadis with ISIS. Some have already returned. More will do so. It's prudent to put plans in place on how to deal with them.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/25/major-terrorist-attack-inevitable-isis-eu

Advertisement