Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vegans

Options
  • 20-01-2015 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭

No, it's not the name of a new family television series...

The thing with many vegans is how they immediately jump to the moral high ground, claiming that we omnivores are somehow morally inferior to their enlightened wisdom.

Thus, the claim to be vegan is simultaneously the insult that all of us are somehow less morally in-tune than they are.

Of course, I'm open to changing my mind, but I've not yet come across a persuasive argument as to why we should consider them our moral superiors.

I would argue that animal suffering is worsened by veganism. If you assume, for the sake of argument, that everyone were to morph into a vegan overnight, we would surely have to let the animals go - as otherwise it would be animal slavery, right? So, watch as nature rips the animal's body apart limb from limb - send the footage to the nearest vegan and see how impressed they are now that everyone adheres to their line of thinking.

Nature is much more savage than any well-intentioned farm.

What's AH's view on the moral claim of vegans - do you believe they have the moral edge they claim to possess?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yesterday is dead and gone, and tomorrow's out of sight . . .

What was the question? Vegans? Love the bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Yesterday is dead and gone, and tomorrow's out of sight . . .

What was the question? Vegans? Love the bastards.

Me too - they're delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

A great bunch 'o lads!

Hard to dislike someone who likes cabbage and brussell sprouts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I fear a vegan Mod will be displeased with the content of the first post and close the thread!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Awful bores alright but I do always envy them that lovely vegan glow.
    I'd love a vegan glow myself.
    I love my burgers too much though.
    Mmmmmm burgers *dribble*

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you assume, for the sake of argument, that everyone were to morph into a vegan overnight, we would surely have to let the animals go - as otherwise it would be animal slavery, right?
    Most of them would be killed to make room for crops. And a lot of them would go extinct as no-one needs them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

beks101 wrote: »
    Awful bores alright but I do always envy them that lovely vegan glow.
    I'd love a vegan glow myself.
    I love my burgers too much though.
    Mmmmmm burgers *dribble*

I've never known a vegan to glow... Well, I have, but fake tan probably doesn't count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I fear a vegan Mod will be displeased with the content of the first post and close the thread!

They have no power here gandalf the vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Until recently, I didn't realise some vegans actually had a serious problem with people owning guide dogs and other animals to help those in need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

A vegan dinner isn't food....... It's what food eats :)

I could never be a vegan because I couldn't live without home cooked ham sandwiches with lashing of butter washed down with a pint of cold milk.

As you've pointed out animals eat other animals in the wild so I believe that the moral stance is a ridiculous one

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Until recently, I didn't realise some vegans actually had a serious problem with people owning guide dogs and other animals to help disabled people.

And many of the one's who do own pets do not give the animals meat - inflicting their own moral superiority onto obligate carnivores.

What on Earth is moral about doing something so catastrophic to these animals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

If it wasn't for the fat in meat, we wouldn't have evolved to where we are now because it helped create white matter, which explains why vegans are stupid.

:pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

And many of the one's who do own pets do not give the animals meat - inflicting their own moral superiority onto obligate carnivores.

What on Earth is moral about doing something so catastrophic to these animals?

Those people shouldn't be allowed to have pets. You'd have to be braindead to think that was ok

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Those people shouldn't be allowed to have pets. You'd have to be braindead to think that was ok

You'd be very surprised about how this is a massive open debate within vegan circles.

You'd be very surprised about how this is a massive open debate within vegan circles.
    If I tried to do that to my Lucky she'd be off to have her name changed by deed poll

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I had heard of it but presumed it was limited to a few crazies. How can they justify it when all scientific evidence would say that dogs are primarily carnivores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Most of them don't go on like that. You don't just don't notice because being normal isn't very noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I had heard of it but presumed it was limited to a few crazies. How can they justify it when all scientific evidence would say that dogs are primarily carnivores?

Forcing an animal to go against it's evolutionary nature because of crank beliefs is despicable. Cats especially have evolved to exist on a 100% meat diet so to feed them a vegan diet is tantamount to cruelty imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

There seems to be way more people complaining about feeling victimised by vegans and vegetarians than vegans and vegetarians doing any victimising.

I think some people find their very existence to be something to get defensive about. It's bizarre.

The vast majority of vegans and vegetarians could not give a sh1t what other people eat and are mostly concerned with what they themselves eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I hear you're a vegan now father....should we all be vegans now? Only the farm takes up most of the day and in the evening I just like a cup of tea. I wouldn't be able to devote myself full time to the old vegan-ism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I've never seen a vegan start a thread here complaining about about meat eaters diets. There's a thread complaining about vegans or vegetarians every couple of weeks though.

I don't eat meat and I managed to have Christmas dinner at my sisters house without making a big deal out of anything. My sister asked if I wanted some chicken soup and I said "no thanks". For dinner I told her to give me what everyone else was having minus the meat. My only concern was not eating meat myself. I didn't concern myself with what anyone else was eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What's AH's view on the moral claim of vegans - do you believe they have the moral edge they claim to possess?

How many of them claim to possess a moral edge?

How many AH threads have been started by vegans preaching moral superiority, in comparison with AH threads complaining about vegans' supposed self-identified moral superiority?

I honestly can say I've never met more than one or two vegans who feel morally superior. And I've met more than one or two vegans, and for the vast majority, it's been nothing more than a personal choice, and if they had any issues with me being somebody who eats meat, they politely kept them to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

Fruitarians are the strangest group I think.

Some of them will only eat fruit that has naturally fallen from a plant.

They don't eat any grains either because they don't believe in killing any living thing including plants.

(I don't find vegetarianism or veganism very strange, but I do find fruitarianism extreme)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I hear they don't love their own children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭AnimalChin

If it wasn't for the fat in meat, we wouldn't have evolved to where we are now because it helped create white matter, which explains why vegans are stupid.

:pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: .

Hmmmm.

A user called sponsoredwalk has some interesting posts, particularly the last few pages of this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056107797

Might want to take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I know someone raising a vegan 3 year old. That's practically child abuse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I hear they don't love their own children.

Pretty sure that's the Russians! (Source: Sting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

They may feel morally superior - but I'd suggest that the feeling of superiority is negligible compared to the feeling of a Sunday morning bacon sangich on really fresh white bread with hot strong cup of tae!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I know someone raising a vegan 3 year old. That's practically child abuse!!

They'll crack and eat it before it goes to school, guaranteed.

Advertisement