Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anne Kirkbride (Deirdre Barlow) has died

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Damn, wish I hadn't missed all the episodes of Corrie ever.

RIP anyhoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Aircraft Freak

RIP our favourite cardassian, will always remember you in DS9.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Her glasses will end up in a museum somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

The Edge, of U2 fame, doesn't look so healthy either there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It says she died after a short illness. I don't want to fuel speculation but it seems to have been very sudden given that the daily mail article was written only a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

ryanf1 wrote: »
    It says she died after a short illness. I don't want to fuel speculation but it seems to have been very sudden given that the daily mail article was written only a few days ago.
    Yeah, looks like a 'personal tragedy' of sorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

KungPao wrote: »
    Yeah, looks like a 'personal tragedy' of sorts.

It is reported by the Daily Mirror that she died of a brain tumour, and spent the last few days of her life in a hospice.

It is reported by the Daily Mirror that she died of a brain tumour, and spent the last few days of her life in a hospice.

Maybe she did and I know a brain tumour kills very fast. But when someone suffers from depression to the extent they are on valium you tend to instantly read between the lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Every time i see her face I think of TRACEY being screamed in a Mancunian accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

RIP Anne, you will be missed on the cobbles of Coronation Street :(

• Advertisement

Maybe she did and I know a brain tumour kills very fast. But when someone suffers from depression to the extent they are on valium you tend to instantly read between the lines

You do know valium is for anxiety, not depression.

You do know valium is for anxiety, not depression.

I didn't fully but it is also an addictive drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Sad to hear of her passing too. Even though I don't watch the show nowadays, I feel she was one of those TV constants that has always been around from our childhood. Showing my age but I too remember the Mike/Ken/Deirdre love triangle from over 30 years ago. I also remember the gripping storyline where she was sent to jail as she cried "I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING".

Must be only Ken and Rita left from the early years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

biko wrote: »
    Damn, wish I hadn't missed all the episodes of Corrie ever.

RIP anyhoo

You could catch up over a long weekend. The brain may go to mush tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Haven't watched a single episode of Coronation Street, or any Soaps for that matter... like East Enders, Emmerdale, Hollyoaks, Home and Away... etc.

They just bore the hell out of me from what little I've seen that my sister watched, with their dreary settings and boring stories of everyday affaires of people and what not...

That being said, Anne having worked for the show since 16 shows some real commitment! :o

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

BeerWolf wrote: »
    boring stories

Corrie has not been afraid to present viewers with appalling and shocking things like rape, murder and Keith Duffy's acting ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Poor Our Deirdre. Ms. Kirkbride was a nice lady, and taken too young. A-oop lass. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

BMJD wrote: »
    My first fap. Sleep well, my gravel throated princess.

She had throat cancer back in 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Shocked she was only 60, thought she was much older. Havent watched Corrie properly for ages but no doubt she will be missed from the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Corrie has not been afraid to present viewers with appalling and shocking things like rape, murder and Keith Duffy's acting ability.

Surely you mean inability..:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jaysis, she worked on that show since she was 16!

I first remember her when she was married to some lad who fecked off to Germany or something.
    My parents always watched and in the days when we had one telly and two channels there wasn't much of a choice but watch it or tune in to Radio Luxemburg.

I always thought she was older ?

BTW the mental issues she was exhibiting (according to that daily mail article) could be actually down to brain tumour.
    It can sometimes cause people to act eractically.

ongarboy wrote: »

Ken was in the show for 10 odd years longer as he is there from the very start.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

YFlyer wrote: »

It can't be done, it's impossible and madness to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Really seems to me that a lot of people and media outlets are mourning the loss of the character than the actress herself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

She had throat cancer back in 1993.

She had Hodgkins Lymphoma.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

ongarboy wrote: »

Emily is still around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

deirdre rashid barlow....free the weatherfield one. That was about the last time I watched the show. Shame, too young.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

VinLieger wrote: »
    Really seems to me that a lot of people and media outlets are mourning the loss of the character than the actress herself

Most people grew up with the character exclusively though. There was no twitter or anything back then and as far as I'm aware, she wasn't in much else of note. People have watched the Deirdre character since the 70's. Actually speaks volumes to Anne's work that she portrayed the character so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

YFlyer wrote: »

A bit OT, but there have been 8500 episodes transmitted since it started, so assuming 22 mins of content per ep (30 min slot, skipping credits and ad breaks) that's around 130 days' content to watch it from end to end, and that's without sleeping, eating, or performing any ablutions. As they say "Up Naath" , "ya'd be in a raaaht botha" after doing that.

Advertisement