Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Connemara and Beyond ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

nop98 wrote: »
    Just talking to one of my colleagues over there, also a runner, he recommended the Sammamish River Trail. For once, I am looking forward to the trip! :)

very good, there are some lovely trails there... set you up well for a day in the mother ship :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

annapr wrote: »
    very good, there are some lovely trails there... set you up well for a day in the mother ship :)

The mothership, indeed... Anna - I wonder if we're working for the same place?

Quick update on the week.

Tuesday, I decided to rest as the weather was awful and I was busy in work.

Wednesday, 8M easy: 13k @ 5:59 min/km [8.1M @ 9.37 min/mi]. Nice run with two of the lads in work. I dropped them back at work after a bit under 6M and then ran out-and-back to complete. Lovely first stretch, chatting away and totally in control. The last bit was downright awful, I missed the company and it was purely functional: HTFU and get the job done. If I wasn't following the plan I wouldn't have done it.

Thursday, 4M easy, "naked" (=Garmin-free). Usual loop in work (7k, 4.4M) with two faster colleagues. They ran ahead and cursed me for slowing them down, I just loved running after them and letting the mind wander.

I am taking a half-day tomorrow to do my 19M LSR. :eek:

I am going to work in the morning and stash some water + gel at the back-door. I am then going to drive home at lunchtime (>6M away), do some laps of the local park, run to work, pick up the goodies, run back home, and then probably realize I still need ~3-4M to make up the distance. If you hear some Dutch cursing at that point, that'll be me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

The last bit was downright awful, I missed the company and it was purely functional: HTFU and get the job done. If I wasn't following the plan I wouldn't have done it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's tempted to turn on the heat and get it over with when you're just ticking the mile boxes :) Well done for keeping the pace, it's bloody difficult

I am taking a half-day tomorrow to do my 19M LSR. :eek:

I am going to work in the morning and stash some water + gel at the back-door. I am then going to drive home at lunchtime (>6M away), do some laps of the local park, run to work, pick up the goodies, run back home, and then probably realize I still need ~3-4M to make up the distance. If you hear some Dutch cursing at that point, that'll be me! :D

You'd think with all the roads in Ireland we wouldn't have any bother finding 19 miles but it's head melting to think of routes. Hope it goes well for you Nop :)

The mothership, indeed... Anna - I wonder if we're working for the same place?

I'm guessing yes, but many moons ago for me.

trying to get to these distances makes you realise how small Dublin is! or how ridiculously far we're running...

Great LSR at the weekend Nop :) I've serious admiration for you doing that all on your own :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Hey, nop, I did a more accurate recce of the Half over the weekend. No shortcuts or diversions other than the adjustment around Farmleigh. Let me know if you want the Garmin link (just PM me) if you haven't already sussed out the route.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Great LSR at the weekend Nop :) I've serious admiration for you doing that all on your own :)

Thank you Neady - not sure if it's that well deserved... I try to find running buddies for these real long runs as it is indeed quite challenging. That said, doing them by yourself also hardens you mentally, which is needed too...
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Hey, nop, I did a more accurate recce of the Half over the weekend. No shortcuts or diversions other than the adjustment around Farmleigh. Let me know if you want the Garmin link (just PM me) if you haven't already sussed out the route.

Well done - I did some online recce, so I think I should be OK, but will PM you for a Garmin link. I have a friend lined up and we'll do the DCHM course on the Friday afternoon before the day itself.

Quick update:

Friday: 19M LSR 30.7km @ 6:15 min/km [19.2M @ 10:03 min/mi]. As planned, half-day off work to get this done. This would be my longest run (by >2M) and it felt the previous LSR (17M in West-Cork) was months ago (in fact, just over 2 weeks).

I agonized over the route and settled on running to work and back (this is about 12M). Taking the longer, scenic route would make it 14M, which meant I had to start with some laps of Shanganagh Park to make up the distance. I know for a fact I wouldn't do this at the end. So I stopped at the farmers' market in Leopardstown to stock up on my favourite post LSR snack: fresh strawberries, and drove to the Park.

Lapped around for about 45 minutes along the parkrun route to calm the nerves and gain some confidence. I wanted to run on the grass but looked to moist and didn't want to hit the road with wet shoes. Anyway, after warming up, this started to go well. There was a slightly older lady running too, we kept meeting eachother and nodding. When I was about to leave the Park, she stopped and smiled. I felt the strong need to tell her I had another 14M to do!

Anyway, along the N11 North towards Leopardstown, had the first of my 2 gels, and had a real low point in Cabinteely where it was all very busy (rush hour was about to start) and most drivers are just so unfriendly. It also started to rain which freaked me out, being not prepared at all. Thankfully this passed rather quickly. As I reached the turn for the Leop Road, the watch beeped for 17km, and I remember thinking "just 14km to go" before realizing how ridiculous this sounded!

I had planted a gel and a water bottle near work, so stopped briefly to fill my running bottle and pack away the gel. I spilled half the bottle on my shoe which I had tried to keep dry! Idiot. Off I went again along my usual lunchtime running tracks, following some tracks into the back of Cabinteely Park, and onto the Lehaunstown bridge. This is quite steep uphill so I used one of these sections to walk and take the gel. As I reached the highest point, you have to climb over these turnstile-type things and I felt my right knee tightening up. I stretched it and along I went, 5km to go.

I loved the last bit. Really stretched out and concentrated on proper running form. Even pushed the pace (which would later see me in trouble on the Novices forum).

Felt really good, much better than expected at 17, 18M (but also probably because I knew the end was near, and this was all downhill). Made it back to the Park, did one more lap for good measure, and stopped, very satisfied. The strawberries tased d-lish. Firedance, I'll be dropping a whole bunch of them onto the Novices Aid Table you're planning for the Big Day! :)

Saturday: rest. Visitors from the mother country, so no running.

Sunday: up early for 4M recovery in the local park (6.7k @ 6:14, 4.2M @ 10.02), making very sure not to exceed the pace too much in case someone was spying.

Monday: the heavens opened the moment I wanted to go out for my usual lunchtime 5M. Instead, onto the treadmill, but after 5k (in 29m), I lost the will to live and decided to call it a day. How Neady did 82 minutes of it is beyond me! Had a good overdue stretching session afterwards to not all was lost.

Plan for the remaining week is: 8M, 5M, 4M & strides, rest, 20M LSR, 3/4M recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Quick update:
    The strawberries tased d-lish. Firedance, I'll be dropping a whole bunch of them onto the Novices Aid Table you're planning for the Big Day! :)

:D:D table, what table? you must be imagining this - besides, I can't be trusted with the strawberries :P
    Monday: the heavens opened the moment I wanted to go out for my usual lunchtime 5M. Instead, onto the treadmill, but after 5k (in 29m), I lost the will to live and decided to call it a day. How Neady did 82 minutes of it is beyond me! Had a good overdue stretching session afterwards to not all was lost.

you should have gone out in the rain it was LOVELY! really, very refreshing.

Well done on your long run, great going nop, looking forward too seeing the results of all this on race day.

When I was about to leave the Park, she stopped and smiled. I felt the strong need to tell her I had another 14M to do!

+1 I always feel the need to shout at/explain to those who run past me that I'm doing my LSR :D:D

I couldn't have done it without the bakers whipping up some custard, meringue and cheesecake ;)

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    you should have gone out in the rain it was LOVELY! really, very refreshing.

It was torrential! I like a little drizzle too, but this would have seen me soaked before reaching the gate. No way.. :)
    I couldn't have done it without the bakers whipping up some custard, meringue and cheesecake ;)

I was thinking about that.... but the TV in the gym was on some news channel, which makes for pretty grim viewing these days.. :(

It also started to rain which freaked me out, being not prepared at all.

seriously, Nop how long have you been in Ireland.. :p

well done on the LSR and the planning that went into it! mine are much more ad hoc...

It also started to rain which freaked me out, being not prepared at all.

seriously, Nop how long have you been in Ireland.. :p

well done on the LSR and the planning that went into it! mine are much more ad hoc...

Good point. Not sure why it freaked me out so much but it was just at the low point in the run.

I am in knots trying to work out the 20M for this weekend. I am sick of my usual routes. I have a one mile loop halfway towards Killiney and I am half thinking of just doing that 20 times. :(

Good point. Not sure why it freaked me out so much but it was just at the low point in the run.

I am in knots trying to work out the 20M for this weekend. I am sick of my usual routes. I have a one mile loop halfway towards Killiney and I am half thinking of just doing that 20 times. :(

What about out & back, dunlaoghaire, monkstown, Blackrock, merrion, sandymount - at least its along the coast & reasonably flat...

Noooooo, that sounds horrific... I knew someone who used to long runs around the bay and would get the dart home from wherever the distance ran out... Or the dart to the starting point then you have no choice but to keep going!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Noooooo, that sounds horrific... I knew someone who used to long runs around the bay and would get the dart home from wherever the distance ran out... Or the dart to the starting point then you have no choice but to keep going!

+1 to this. You'll get dizzy doing loops, never mind go out of your skull with boredom. Run from Dun Laoghaire to Howth, get an ice cream, DART back.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    +1 to this. You'll get dizzy doing loops, never mind go out of your skull with boredom. Run from Dun Laoghaire to Howth, get an ice cream, DART back.

OK, I hear you. The plan had already evolved to maybe go to Phoenix Park and wander along the roads there for a couple of hours (I have only been there during the race-series events). The DART plan warrants investigation too, seeing as I live right next to one of the stations :)

Firedance wrote: »
    What about out & back, dunlaoghaire, monkstown, Blackrock, merrion, sandymount - at least its along the coast & reasonably flat...

Hey - missed this. Yes, I have the sharp pencils out and am trying to map it.

Hey - missed this. Yes, I have the sharp pencils out and am trying to map it.

if you do go to the PP, it's about 10k around the perimeter and the trails are lovely, you can do a lot on trails/grass.

Week 11/18 (:eek:) is ticking along nicely. I'm actually clocking up a few extra kilometres [miles] as I have 8 days between LSRs instead of 7.

Tuesday: 8M easy: 12.9km @ 5.53 [8.0M @ 9:28]. Lovely 8M run with 4 colleagues (they all did 6, I continued on for 2 more). From work, towards Cabinteely Park, a loop there, and back towards the N11 and work. I ran mostly at the back of the group, my personal coaching project who is aiming for a sub 2h DCHM (but I think that'll be 2016). He ushered me along when things started going uphill. :cool:

Wednesday: 4M easy: 6.7km @ 5.52 [4.2M @ 9.26]. Less pleasant evening-run around my son's GA training pitch. I had planned to do some strides, as per plan, but the run never really got going (I had to stop to fix hurling helmets; and later again as I -literary- ran into someone I knew) so I just ran easy and balked when it started to rain. Bit mweh, but 4M in the bank :o

Thursday: 5M easy: 8.6km @ 5.52 [5.4M @ 9.26]. Very nice run with a DCM-veteran colleague - again towards Cab Park, a loop, and back. We just chatted the miles away and I felt I could have kept going for hours.

Rest tomorrow, 20 miles on Saturday (yawn), and then off to fold myself in an airplane for 13 hours :)

• Advertisement

Wow - it's been ages since I have updated this log! :eek:

Saturday Sep 5
    20M LSR: 32.1km @ 6:08 [20.0M @ 9:52]
    https://www.strava.com/activities/385215527
    Up insanely early to get this one done. I circled the Phoenix Park for 3 hours and absolutely loved it. I only know the Park from the big races (10M and HM) and was quite amazed how different it looked. E.g. Furze Road being almost completely deserted, quite the difference from the excitement of race-day. Anyway, loved it, and it went reasonably well. Feeding strategy spot-on: stopped (very) briefly after about 17k (the 10M route and then some) to re-stock a gel and fill up my water bottle.

This concluded week 11/18. Week 12 was going to be a logistical challenge as I was travelling to Seattle for work.

Monday Sep 7
    3M recovery: 5.0km @ 5:58 [3.1M @ 9:36]
    After a long day in transit, I finally arrived in Bellevue (WA) at about 7pm local time. I flew together with one of my greyhound colleagues, and he needed no convincing to pop on the runners for a quick rec-run. Just cruised downtown and the local park for a couple of miles. It was actually really pleasant, and good to wake up the body after sitting for so long. Probably the best jet-lag prevention method!

Tuesday Sep 8
    7M easy: 11.0km @ 5:58 [6.9M @ 9:36]
    On the road before 6am (sic!) I ran from downtown Bellevue to the western suburb of Medina, near Lake Washington. Wow, what a place to live. Absolutely stunning houses spread out over the hills with private little berthing spots for the various yachts. I felt a bit sorry for the folks who lived across the road, not on the water, who had to make do with just a palatial residence and 3-4 cars in the driveway.

Oh, yeah, running. Lovely morning (through the "mystic morning fog", as Van would say), pleasant pace, lots to look at. Loved it.

Wednesday Sep 9
    5M easy: 7.7km @ 6:03 [4.8M @ 9:44]
    I slotted in this extra run (not per schedule) since I wouldn't have any opportunity to run on Friday or Saturday.

Some more early-morning exploring along Lake Washington, similarly pleasant.

Thursday Sep 10
    11M, 9M @ PMP: 17.2km @ 5:32 [10.8M @ 8:54]
    https://www.strava.com/activities/389633228
    Thursday lunchtime saw some social event in my company, so non of my American colleagues would be available. Instead, a fellow visitor (from France) and me decided to hit the Sammamish River Trail for this somewhat daunting 11-miler. I didn't realize how good an athlete my buddy was - 90 minute HM and ultra-trail runner. Wow.

What didn't help was that it was scorching hot. 26C, if not warmer, and hardly any wind. Anyway, no choice but to get on with it, and we had an excellent chat about work (we work for the same manager) and family (his kids are same age as mine). But it was an almighty challenge to keep up the PMP in the heat, and, in hindsight, on very tired legs.

At about 14k, my running buddy decided to stretch the legs as I decelerated (having done the PMP session). Man, I was well wrecked afterwards - and the two days break from the running were very welcome (despite being folded in an airplane chair for most of it).

Sunday Sep 13
    16M LSR: 25.7km @ 6:23 [16.1M @ 10:16]
    https://www.strava.com/activities/391656078
    Back home (on Saturday), I hadn't dared to raise the idea of a long run (on Sunday) when my better half inquired what the training programme required. Can't buy a more supportive family! We had visitors for the morning but once it all cleared (and the rain stopped), I went out for a 16M.

I ran, on purpose, as slowly as I possibly could. I was still quite tired and niggly from the PMP session so was going to bail at any signs of trouble. None came (until later), and after what seemed like an eternity (~5km) I finally warmed up and got into a nice rhythm. Over Killiney Hill to Dun Laoghaire Harbour and back, clocking up some extra miles en-route. All went really well and at very low pace, when towards the end, I suddenly started to get dizzy. Combined with some other tell-tale signs, I realized I was running out of fuel fast. I dragged myself to the nearest petrol stop, got some snacks and some water, guzzled it all down and that sorted it out. Not the nicest experience.

Anyway, that concludes week 12/18.

This week (13/18) is a funny one again - as I have to improvise around being away on Saturday. I can't do the HM this weekend but I'll go to PP the day before (day-off, yay!) to run the course at PMP. So I'll do 5- and 6M easy during the week, and maybe another mid-long easy run on Sunday.

Monday Sep 14
    Rest. Bliss.

Tuesday Sep 15
    ~6M easy: 9.4km @ 5:40 [5.9M @ 9:07]
    Splendid run with colleague. From work down the Leop racecourse towards Cabinteely Park. Did the 2k loop in the Park, the wrath of which I have felt several times during the local parkrun. Then back to work. The last 2km were into the wind through what we call "Death Valley", the road along the M50 next to the racecourse. Challenging but it never really bothered either of us. Chatted and joked all the way. :pac:

Wednesday Sep 16
    5M easy: 7.9km @ 5:51 [5.0M @ 9:24]
    Entered the changing room in work and really didn't want to go. Said so to one of the other lads there, who was in for a gymming session. However, the moment I was out, I loved it. Took it VERY easy (solo run) and did the usual 5M loop. It was sunny but fresh and it was just so nice to be out and running. Checked (mentally) everywhere and had no niggles or anything to report. I've been very lucky so far in the programme. :o

Tomorrow: rest.
    Friday: HM @ PMP in PP (if you get me :rolleyes:)
    Saturday: IRE v CAN @ Cardiff :D:cool:!!!

Thursday Sep 17
    Rest

Friday Sep 18
    13M @ PMP: 21.5km @ 5:18 [13.3M @ 8:31]
    I had a cheeky day off and had long planned to do the DHCM course in PP as a long PMP training run. Ran with a buddy, and we had a great time. For logistical reasons we had to alter the course somewhat but I estimate we ran about 90% of the route. We also ran Military Road (S-bends) instead of Coyningham Road, just because it's more scenic.

The first couple of km ticked off in 5:0x which is too fast, so made a very conscious effort to slow down. But somehow I had no doubt that we'd be able to keep up the pace throughout. Made a decent effort to speed up towards the end along the Upper Glen and the HM time, according to the watch, was 1:52:01 with plenty of gas left in the tank. It shows how much the training is working (as this is only just over my Connemara time). We actually ran a good bit faster than PMP, so it was a great confidence boost, as well as just a very enjoyable run.

Saturday Sep 19
    Off to Cardiff to see Ireland beat Canada in the RWC - my 8yo had the best day of his life.

Logged on later that evening hoping to read about all the splendid PBs from my fellow novices, instead, saddened to learn about the tragic events at the DCHM. :( Poor dude - set out for a run and never came home.

Sunday Sep 20
    4M recovery: 6.9km @ 5:42 [4.3M @ 9:10]
    Most day was a wash-out due to persistent rain, but as I had only ran 3 times this week, I had to get another few miles in. Eventually I HTFU'd, got out the rain gear, and ran for about 40 minutes in the local Park. Way too fast for a recovery run but I figured DG was somewhere else in the country running very fast herself :) and wouldn't be spying.

Thus concludes week 13, glad it was a step-back week and to get a bittuva break from the running.

Next week is the longest (in mileage) of the training schedule and I feel well ready for it. No niggles to report. The plan is something like: 5-7-5-4/5-rest-20-? (in miles that is).

You're doing great raining Nop, nice half @ PMP with no help from the buzz of a race. It bodes very very well for the big day :) You must be feeling confident?

Gutted to be missing Longwood on Saturday :( What pace are you planning on hitting?

You're doing great raining Nop, nice half @ PMP with no help from the buzz of a race. It bodes very very well for the big day :) You must be feeling confident?

Gutted to be missing Longwood on Saturday :( What pace are you planning on hitting?

Thank you Neady - yes, I really enjoyed those 13M, I was half tempted to push for a PB, but I would have been in serious trouble with the boss. The confidence lasts until the next little niggle pops up :)

The Longwood plans are on ice, there's a group of Novices considering to meet for part of the course itself on Saturday morning! That'll be fun (and better than running solo)..!

Under strict instructions: only easy running this week, but plenty of it. So very boring update:

Monday Sep 21
    5M easy: 8.1km @ 5:49 [5.0M @ 9:21]
    Solo run.

Tuesday Sep 22
    5M easy: 8.0km @ 5:37 [5.0M @ 9:02]
    Faster run (oops) with 2 colleagues. All very enjoyable.

Wednesday Sep 23
    >6M east: 10.2km @ 5:43 [6.4M @ 9:12]
    This was supposed to be a little longer but I simply didn't have the time. Ran to Cabinteely Park, looped around, ran back.

One more short easy run this week, then rest, then 20M on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Just catching up here :) You know I have OSOIT...... ;)

Enjoy tomorrow!

other sources of information tooooooo

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Just catching up here :) You know I have OSOIT...... ;)

Enjoy tomorrow!

other sources of information tooooooo

More than one source, even!

It's hard to believe you have time to catch-up here, keep all novices on their toes, and run smashing HM PBs!

Thanks, I have printed out the route for tomorrow, it'll be interesting running with a map!

Week 15/18 concludes (this log has gotten very boring):

Thursday Sep 24
    4M easy: 6.8km @ 5:34 min/km [4.0M @ 8:57]
    Lovely, lovely day for a run, slight breeze and glorious sunshine. Indian summer and the like. I ran at lunchtime with a fast colleague, and we had little time so opted for the short route. I didn't check the pace at all and we just chatted all along. This was more PMP than easy pace but it felt easy.

Friday Sep 25
    Rest. No problem keeping the pace :)

Saturday Sep 26
    20M LSR: 32.0km @ 6:04 [20M @ 9:45]
    Novices-meet up long run. Really enjoyed the company and we did a great recce of the course.
    Report (such as it is): http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97167584
    Route: https://www.strava.com/activities/400476714

Sunday Sep 27
    4M recovery: 7.3km @ 6:04 [4.5M @ 9:45]
    I donned a ballyclava, a wig, and a fake beard so I wouldn't be spotted doing my rec-run (as usual I run these too fast, and get spotted doing so). Circled the local park, watched all the football and GA matches and greeted several fellow parents of the local school. Legs loosened up soon enough and I am still happy to report a clean bill of health.

• Advertisement

Sunday Sep 27
    4M recovery: 7.3km @ 6:04 [4.5M @ 9:45]
    I donned a ballyclava, a wig, and a fake beard so I wouldn't be spotted doing my rec-run (as usual I run these too fast, and get spotted doing so). Circled the local park, watched all the football and GA matches and greeted several fellow parents of the local school. Legs loosened up soon enough and I am still happy to report a clean bill of health.

you can run, but you can't hide.....:D :D

Advertisement