Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towns & Cities which share/sprawl 2 counties

Options
13»

Comments

Bundoran and Kinlough?

Tullaghan would be nearer to Bundoran. Houses all along the way.

Big difference in the accents of Kinlough and Bundoran too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Istanbul , pick a continent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Have you noticed how parochial people get about their address when their from the secondary county which shares a big town or city.

Carlow/Graigecullen is my local example, houses bisected by the curious triangular encroachment across the river.
    Athlone throws up Westmeath vs Roscommon, another triangle captured by WM here which crosses the Shannon.
    Waterford falling into Kilkenny up by the Ferrybank.
    For years I always thought Thomond & the Gaelic Grounds were in Clare until I realised Limerick crossed the Shannon.

I'm sure there's many more examples but they all throw up great inter town rivalry & great stories.

I was about to post about Graiguecullen when I seen the thread title!

It's a matter of opinion as to if you consider it Carlow or Laois but Carlow is correct.... :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

thelad95 wrote: »
    Isn't Carlow town mostly in Laois?

Carlow town is in Carlow.

Graiguecullen is split between Carlow and Laois.

PLL wrote: »
    That is crazy! I don't suppose you know the history behind the disruptive borders?

Not really much to do with the modern countries as such, it goes back hundreds of years to feudal lords and dukes would divide the land. Especially in hostile times it was sometimes useful to establish (or force) an enclave in or around your rival's territory to give you political influence.

Years ago they had stricter licensing laws in Holland, so come Dutch closing time every night the customers in pubs, restaurants, etc built on top of the border would have to pick up their dinner plates, drinks, or whatever, and literally move across the very same room to another table which would be in Belgium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Part of Lucan is in Fingal, but most is in South Dublin.

I see no one's mentioned the twin cities of Pest and Buda yet, divided by only a small stream. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,444 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

A village called Kilbeheny.

It could be conceived as being in Tipperary, Cork and Limerick and actually has a pub aptly named the Three Counties Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Is Europe really a continent though? ;)

Don't know, but they were damn good in their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

History Channel aired a great show last year called How The States Got Their Shapes. Was a brilliant watch.

What I particularly found fascinating was a town that straddled two counties in Virginia (I think). One of the counties was a "dry county" and there was a particular bar in the town divided in two, where you can only drink in one-half of the bar. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Dundalk
    Strabane
    Newry
    Derry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 StoryBuuud

Abbeyfeale is mostly in Limerick but partly in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

dogcat wrote: »
    Dundalk
    Strabane
    Newry
    Derry

Dundalk is only in one county, by any reasonable measure.

Newry town hall is built over the river so as not to be in either Armagh or Down and so is equally offensive to everyone.
    The Down GAA pitch also straddles the river and so is half in Armagh, but you can't tell so easily as they redirected the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭shovel

dogcat wrote: »
    Technically they are two different towns although generally people refer to the area as Ballina-Killaloe.

It's killaloe /ballina (most important first!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Strabane/Lifford?

2 separate towns and sroasted by a river

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

country folk are so funny with stuff like this. You just don't understand, anything outside the M50 is full-blooded bog warrior.

There is no actual difference to non-bog warrior jackeens, a culchie is a culchie is a culchie.

It's especially hilarious when folk from small to middlin' towns like Galway, Cork or Kilkenny pretend to be city slickers and disparage the people who live in fields.

Yiz are all the same to us anyway. :D

Absolutely correct. It's like when someone starts a five-a-side football team and doesn't participate by playing manager instead. Real delusions of grandeur there.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Belcoo/Blacklion. Two separate towns similar to Strabane/Lifford but could be seen as the one urban area with just a bridge separating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

country folk are so funny with stuff like this. You just don't understand, anything outside the M50 is full-blooded bog warrior.

There is no actual difference to non-bog warrior jackeens, a culchie is a culchie is a culchie.

It's especially hilarious when folk from small to middlin' towns like Galway, Cork or Kilkenny pretend to be city slickers and disparage the people who live in fields.

Yiz are all the same to us anyway. :D

You do realise that parts of Dublin lay beyond the M50 right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

bear1 wrote: »
    You do realise that parts of Dublin lay beyond the M50 right?

Thats lies!

Advertisement