Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks 2015 ***No Requests, use the Search button! READ FIRST POST before posting!***

Options
  • 11-01-2014 8:00pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This thread is for discussion of the Mocks. Please restrict all discussion of the 2014 Mocks to this thread. Other threads may be deleted or closed.

A few simple rules to ensure this thread runs as smoothly as possible:
      DO NOT POST REQUESTS - they will be deleted.

[*]NO POSTING OF MOCK PAPERS: Any posts of the actual papers will be deleted and the user posting them will be banned. This also applies to linking to scans of the papers.

[*]SPECIFY WHICH COMPANY THE PAPER IS FROM: it saves a plethora of posts going "is that DEB or ...?"

[*]LOOK BACK THROUGH THE THREAD BEFORE ASKING FOR SPOILERS: the information you want is quite likely to have been posted already, and the more times it gets repeated, the longer the thread gets and the harder it is to find anything. To search the thread, click on "Search this Thread" on the top right of the page, type in your keyword and click "Go". The easiest thing to do is put in your subject alone, without the company/paper/level, and then you should be able to figure out from the results list which one you want.

[*]USE SPOILER TAGS: If you are referring to any specific material on any Mock paper, make sure to use spoiler tags so that people who don't want to know what's on a given paper won't see.

A spoiler looks like this:
      Your text here

To use spoiler tags, highlight the text you want to spoil, and click the spoiler.gif icon.

Posting from your phone? Put in spoilers manually by typing [noparse]
      What you want to say here
      [/noparse]

Use square brackets [ ], not round, no matter how it might appear on mobile!!

[*]We don't encourage people to post info, and we certainly don't encourage people to read ... in fact, my personal advice to all of you would be to make the Mocks as near the experience of the real thing as possible, and go into it blind, and if that means panic, now is a better time to learn to deal with that than the day of the actual exam.

By getting hints, you're really not fooling anyone but yourself.

However, we recognise that you are all old enough to be responsible for your own actions here, and at least this system means that if people are going to post or seek for hints, they are confined to one thread and others can avoid them.

This policy has evolved in this forum over a number of years: it may not be perfect, but we have found it to be the best compromise. This thread is NOT to be used for arguing with those who choose to post or look for hints.

[*]All standard boards.ie rules apply here: no flaming, trolling, personal abuse or spamming. Please remember that txtspeak is NOT welcome on Boards. Using large font / multi-coloured text is also both unwelcome and unnecessary.

If you have an issue with a moderation decision, please PM the Mod in question. Do not argue about Mod decisions on thread.

A bit of clarification on what does and doesn't need to be in spoiler tags:

"English was dire, I ran out of time. My comparative was so rushed." = This is fine. You're not giving away any information about the specific content of the paper. No spoilers needed, post away!

"English was dire, I had no idea what to say for Kingship in Macbeth." = This is not fine. Spoilers please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Clare0101

English DEB
      on the DEB mock you can leave out vision and viewpoint for the comparative and still be covered in English paper 2, out English teacher told us!
      <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2 goatski12

Pretty sure our teacher hinted at these. sorry its not much
      Q1. Company Accounts, Q5 Shareholders, Q6 or Q7 Tabular statements.
      Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

HL Irish p2 DEBS

Aiste

Seandaoine in éirinn - ní chaitear go maith leo
      Tá an duine óg ina sclábhaí ag an bhfaisean
      Nós na léitheoireachta - an bhfuil sé marbh?
      Leathnaíonn an taisteal aigne an duine.
      Tábhacht na turasóireachta in éirinn inniu.

Scéal

Misneach
      Is namhaid í an cheird gan í a fhoghlaim

Díospóireacht / óráid

Scríobh an chaint a dhéanfá i ndíospóireacht scoile ar son an rúin seo a leanas nó ina aghaidh:
      Tá an ceart ag rialtas na hEireann táillí a ghearradh ar úsáid an uisce.

Iarradh ort píosa cainte a dhéanamh ag comhdháil bhliantúil do chlub óige ar an ábhar:
      Tá todhchaí gheal i nfán don aos óg sa tír seo.
      Scríobh an píosa cainte a dhéanfá ar an àbhar sin.

Just my 2 cents as i want this thread active and alive!!

Biology DEBS

I'd advice you to know:
      Section A
      Definition for population, theory, hypothesis, fermentation, human trace, contest competition, test for reducing sugar, plant structures ( labelling diagram ) functions of them labelled, anaerobic respiration, know the heart diagram well and function of pacemaker!
      Know plant labels phloem etc
      The plants functions.
      Whats meant by an enyzmes optimum enzyme?
      Example of anerobic example.
      Know eukaryotes!

Section B
      Only managed 1 out of 3 as we havent covered it
      Know the osmosis experiment inside out!
      Know immobilized enzymes experiment
      Know the mieosis 2n = 4 diagram
      Know aerobic respiration

Section C

Know amoeba
      Genetics
      Know the kidney well! ( reabsorption , filteration )
      Difference between osteocysts + osteoblasts in pancreas plus give a brief sentence about each.
      Know your ecology long q on it
      Know definition of cartiliage, tendon and ligament
      Know light stage and dark
      Know Atp abbreviation where its made and function
      Know about corpus leteum and progesterone contraceptive methods and a question ' more and more countries are beginning to use contraceptive methods how does this affect a country '
      Good luck

Geography HL EXAMCRAFT
      briefly:
      Know 4 types of fold mountains
      Know your primary activities in any region of ireland in relation to any 2 of relief climate market.
      Know advantages of renewable sources of energy.
      Study tsnami's and why waves are so dangerous upon arrival near the shore.
      Know weather types for holland/belgium/ireland(eg cool temperate oceanic)
      Know difference between land slide mud slide debris flow, avalanche, sea deposition
      Know different types of aeriel photographs and location ( eg centre, middleground etc)
      The options unit we studied so far is geoecology and we had a choice to do luckily between a characteristic of a biome in any region and how climate and weather flowers+animals are affected by it ( basically state their adaptions)
      Sorry just a brief one as i was short of time and panicking :( B1 max, good luck

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Geography
      Business
      geog: conflict between economic and envrironmental interest, optional unit: race and multi-culturism

business: NCA, data protection act,

havnt done them yet and dont know what supplier it came from, teacher just told us

HL p2 English DEBS
      SINGLE TEXT (60 Marks)

Othello:
      ' The appeal of shakespeare's play, othello , lies mainly in the fascinating and complex character of Iago '

To what extent do you agree with this view? Support your answer with suitable reference to the text.

OR

' Shakespeare makes inventive use of imagery and symbolism to heighten the dramatic impact of his play, Othello '

Discus this view of the play, supporting your answer with suitable reference to the text.

THE COMPARATIVE STUDY (70 marks)

Literary Genre
      1. A variety of techniques can be employed in a text to shape a memorable storyline.

Identify and compare the techniques used to shape memorable storylines in the three texts you have studied

2. The effective use of imagery and symbolism can help create the atmosphere in a text.
      (A) Discuss how the effective use of imagery and symbolism helped to create the atmosphere in one of the texts on your comparative course
      (B) With reference to the text you mentioned in (A) above and at least one other text from your comparative course, compare how the effective use of imagery and symbolism helped to create the atmosphere in those texts.

Theme Or Issue

1. ' Exploring a theme or issue in different texts can often challenge or reinforce preconceived ideas of a read'
      Refer to two texts mentioned above.

2. ' The resolution of a narrative can highlight the complexity of a theme or issue for a reader.

(A) Discuss the extent with one text above
      (B) Compare it with two other texts the extent which the resolution of a narrative can highlight the complexity of a theme or issue.

Poetry
      Unseen Poem

'Spell' by Kate Clanchy
      http://blog.herbonestructure.com/2010/11/by-kate-clanchy.html

Q1
      (A) Explain your understanding of the poem with reference to the text.
      (B) Choose a line or paragraph that appeals to you most.

OR
      Q2
      Write a personal response to this poem highlighting the impact it makes on you.
      Answer should make close reference to the text.

Prescribed Poetry

John Dunne
      Robert Frost
      John Montague
      Eiléan Ní Chuilleanán (In her poetryshe uses language to explore personal memories which create a strong sense of mystery', To what extent do you agree with the assessment of her poetry?

Please don't PM me asking any for more detailed info on any of the above as i threw the paper away.
      Good Luck
      Myfingersarenumb#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

libra33 wrote: »
      Dont know how to make a spoiler DM me for Irish PI Examcraft, Spanish Examcraft or English Examcraft PII

English is the same as posted above (DEB) and here's the Irish:
      Irish Paper I:

Córas Oideachas
      Daoine Tábhachtaí i mo shaol
      ábhar dóchais é todhchaí na tíre seo
      Réaltaí ceoil

Cairdeas
      Cleachtadh a dhéanann máistreacht

''Tá an iomarca béime ar chúrsaí spóirt sa lá atá inniu''
      ''An tábhact a bhaineann leis an dúlra''

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm only posting the spoilers PM'd to me by Libra. My mocks aren't for another few weeks so please stop PMing me.

Edit 2: Okay so we're super clear, I haven't sat the mocks, I don't know anything about any other exams. I PM'd Libra33 about Irish P1 and English P2. They sent me both and so I offered to post them here as they didn't know how to. However, English P2 was actually DEB - not Examcraft and so I didn't post it because it has already been detailed above. I also didn't ask for the Spanish examcraft so PM Libra33 if you want that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

A few simple rules to ensure this thread runs as smoothly as possible:
        DO NOT POST REQUESTS - they will be deleted.
        Does anyone know ....
        johnh100 wrote: »
        Any know what came up ....
        aishay123 wrote: »
        Anyone know about ....
        *sigh*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Every time someone asks 'what about Ploopipoopiology?' that will come up if someone searches for it, giving the impression that someone has posted Ploopipoopiology mocks.

Just don't ask.

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 8 leitrimlad1996

Magnate wrote: »
        Also, just to clarify before this descends into panic and confusion:

Examcraft barcodes are on the top left and DEB barcodes are on the top right.

I am 100% positive, everyone seems to mix these up but I'm looking at two old mock papers from both companies right now, trust me I'm right.

Nope, that's wrong. DEB are top left.

Nope, that's wrong. DEB are top left.

I'm positive examcraft are top left I emailed them to confirm, also I have a pdf version of a deb paper with the barcode on the top right. Unless both barcodes are top left now?

Magnate wrote: »
        I'm positive examcraft are top left I emailed them to confirm, also I have a pdf version of a deb paper with the barcode on the top right. Unless both barcodes are top left now?
        Lad
        DEBS are top left.
        Examcraft are top right.

I've posted several mocks for debs and stop making false assumptions.

Lad
        DEBS are top left.
        Examcraft are top right.

I've posted several mocks for debs and stop making false assumptions.

There's no assumptions being made. I'll pm you what I have.

But in that case, DEB marking schemes are the only papers with barcodes on the top right and examcraft have lied to me. I'll email DEB too then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I will see can I check with old colleagues what the left/right situation is.

spurious wrote: »
        I'm positively sure they're after changing the positions of the bar code?
        Anyway i've received a pm for tips on a certain paper for the company DEBS but unfortunately he got the examcraft. Also i confirmed it with a teacher today!

spurious wrote: »

Thanks, I appreciate it. I really didn't intend to confuse people but from looking at past threads nobody seemed to be sure and I thought I'd clear it up.

I have an old DEB paper with the barcode on the top right, but it's 6 years old so they may have changed. I only emailed Examcraft the other day and they said theirs was on the top left so I was just basing my findings from that.

The DEB website lets me view sample papers (old login, heh heh) and they have a barcode in the left top corner.

Examcraft on the Head Office website has an image of a paper with a barcode on the right hand side, but that does not mean they could not have changed it for this year.

It is very unlikely that both companies have identical Othello questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 libra33

Without doubt EXAMCRAFT is top right for this year. My Maths teacher complained about the DEB paper being a ridiculous paper and we got the EXAMCRAFT paper. The barcode is on the right. May have been different this year but I am 100% my maths paper was EXAMCRAFT and the barcode is on the right.

Right that's really weird, I don't think DEB have changed it this year but maybe they put the barcode on the right corner of their marking schemes only?

However Examcraft did email me a few days ago and specifically said left. So the only explanation is that they've flat out lied to me.

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 8 leitrimlad1996

It's definitely DEB on top left

English Paper 1 (DEB)
        SECTION 1

Gender Equality - Article
        Different Perspectives - Speech
        Perspective of Past - Letter

SECTION 2

Speech - Equality
        Personal Essay - (a) Youth Difficulties (b) A difficult time
        Short Story - (a) A Hero (b) Heart beating ...
        Article - Greater Good
        Descriptive Essay - Place to Visit

If you are really stuck PM me and I'll give more detail

Spanish (DEB) ... I think no barcode for some reason

Journalistic Text:

- Stroytelling

Comprehensions:

SECTION A:

- Smoking
        - Guy who learns different languages

SECTION B:

- The Internet

Opinion:

(a) Dependency on the internet
        (b) Using the internet at university

SECTION C:

Dialogue:

A Car Crash

Letter:

Dangerous Driving

Note/ Diary:

- Just started working in Spain
        - Leaving to go to work

If you are really stuck PM me for more detail

Biology HL (Examcraft)

I didn't keep a copy of the paper but here's an idea of what came up:

SECTION A:

Food
        Plant Tissue
        Genetics
        Breathing System
        Photosynthesis

SECTION B:

Photosynthesis
        All enzyme experiments except immobilisation in one
        Dissection of Heart (I think I didn't do this question)

SECTION C:

Ecology
        The Ear
        The Eye
        The Brain
        Yeast
        Excretion
        Male Reproductive System
        Genetics
        ATP
        Human Nutrition

I haven't sat my chemistry exam but my teacher cut down on the possibilities for the experiments.

I'm not sure which company but I hope it helps.
        If anyone can add to this feel free

Q1: Volumetric Analysis

- Ethanoic Acid
        - Sodium Carbonate
        - Iron Tablets or
        - Iodine Thiosulfate

Q2: Organic Experiments

- Ethene production
        - Etyhne production
        - Ethanoic acid production
        - Ethanoic acid production

Q3: Rates of Reactions

- Concentration and Temperature
        - Hydrogen Peroxide

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Username6212

My teacher told us that the
        ethanoic acid & ethanal production experiments
        had been replaced with new experiments from this year onwards??

They have

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Katie97123

Ya actually, our teacher told us they can't come up as the procedure for an experiment but as an oxidation reduction q and about the colour change in the sodium dichromate for the ethanoic acid one! And you still have to know the reactions of ethanal and ethanoic acid with other substances eg. Fehling's reagent, silver mirror test, magnesium, sodium carbonate. Etc..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

tahtguy wrote: »
        Hi guys can someone please give me some hints as to what is comin up in Chemistry, Physics and Maths all at higher level. Iam really busy at the moment studying for the H-pat and don't have time to study for the Mocks. I dont wanna do bad in them but I cant do great in them either so can someone plz just give me a few hints.
        Have you time to read the first post in the thread? ... yanno, the way the thread title says to do? :)
        Ive done:
        Maths p1 DEBS
        English DEBS
        Irish EXAMCRAFT
        French DEBS
        Geography EXAMCRAFT
        Biology DEBS

Remaining DEBS Business tomorrow pm me!
        ALL HONS
        KatieG6 wrote: »
        Could you please send me the irish, geography and biology, thanks :)
        If you wish to share info, you are better doing it on-thread / spoilered as you were previously doing.

Otherwise ...

1) you will be deluged by PMs

2) you will waste a lot of time sending the same info multiple times

3) all the new or relatively new users who can't send PMs will post on thread as Katie has done, and clog it up and b0rk the Search function (users with under 50 posts / 3 months - or something like that - can't send PMs; it's an anti-spam measure which was implemented about a year ago).

DEB History - Later Modern

DOCUMENT QUESTION:

Topic: Treaty Negotiations

Q4: How the Anglo Irish Treaty led to Civil War in Ireland

NORTHERN IRELAND;

Brookeborough/ O' Neill effectiveness
        Economic effects of the Troubles
        Apprentice Boys of Derry/ Coleraine University
        Impact of Bernadette Devlin, John Hume, Ian Paisley

DICTATORSHIP AND DEMOCRACY:

Hitler's Foreign Policy
        Challenges facing Britain 1920-1945
        Mussolini effectiveness
        Culture and/or science

DIVISION AND REALIGNMENT:

Second Vatican zzzzzzz
        Margaret Thatcher effectiveness
        1973 Oil Crisis
        Youth and Popular Culture

USA:

US Foreign Policy 1945-72
        Montgomery Bus Boycott Impact
        Sources of Economic Boom 1945-1968
        Youth Culture/ Multiculturalism 1945-1989

Do not ask me for the other topic the paper is in the bin.
        I think I covered the most popular topics anyway

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 15 Clare0101

Can someone please explain how to tell the difference between a DEB paper and an examcraft paper? 😊

Deb paper the barcodes on the left, exam craft the barcodes on the right

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement