Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody read The Game by Neil Strauss?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Very good report there

Just one last question....would it he regarded as a bit dated....as I often see it promoted around here (never in real life)

Honestly I don't know as I don't read PUA stuff. I think in the book it touches on multiple 'methods' but the author more or less admits that confidence is a big factor regardless of what you do. That much at least is something most people would agree on!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

neil_ wrote: »
    It's 2015, I think we can move past the idea that reading books is for losers

All the hip kids are into vellum scrolls. Books have been so mainstream since the late 15th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Sky King wrote: »
    Why does this post not have more thanks?

Why does the following post not have more thanks? Gave me the lolz anyway. :pac:
    neil_ wrote: »
    It's 2015, I think we can move past the idea that reading books is for losers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I read it. As others who have read it have said it is actually an entertaining read. He gets himself into plenty of situations where he's out of his depth and he writes quite well. There's a lot of questionable behaviour in there too but that's life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I found the same as Earthy. In my recollections it's actually got little or no Pickup stuff in it. Nothing like the avalanche since.

porsche959 wrote: »
    Isn't it a handbook for sociopaths?
    Eh no. No it's not.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Read it out of curiosity, and thought it was interesting as an autobiographical book, but I've enjoyed very much being able to spot guys putting some of the stuff into practice on my friends and I on nights out.

Not a fan of the huge sub-culture of PUAs that developed though, they can be such assholes. And negging really, really písses me off. I ended up screaming the head off some guy in Jervis once because he was failing so badly at negging and was just flat out insulting me (this was before I'd read the book and knew what he was doing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Yeah, read it for my all women book club a few months ago. We loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Nope, but I have read his collaboration with Nikki Sixx, Tommy Lee, Vince Neil and Mick Mars (collectively better known as Mötley Crüe) entitled The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band. Now that is a book to read. Absolutely brilliant book.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Dean0088 wrote: »
    If you find yourself actually considering reading book dedicated to manipulating a small sub-set of damaged women for the purposes of getting laid, then you're probably a loser.

You haven't read it have you? The book is about the guys who do this, not the women. It's like saying Thelma and Louise is about two blokes who's wives run off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Read it out of curiosity, and thought it was interesting as an autobiographical book, but I've enjoyed very much being able to spot guys putting some of the stuff into practice on my friends and I on nights out.

Not a fan of the huge sub-culture of PUAs that developed though, they can be such assholes. And negging really, really písses me off. I ended up screaming the head off some guy in Jervis once because he was failing so badly at negging and was just flat out insulting me (this was before I'd read the book and knew what he was doing).

When I first heard about negging I thought "That would never work in Ireland. You'd get yourself a box in the face".

A while later I realised that guys in Ireland do it but differently. I'd slag a girl I liked and I'd hope she'd slag me back. It's kinda negging but different.

Advertisement