Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody read The Game by Neil Strauss?

Options
  • 18-01-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Out of curiosity has anybody read The Game by Neil Strauss and if so what did you think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I thought Michael Douglas was great in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Never felt like that much of a loser to feel the need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I lost. Well played OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Falling Down was much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

read it when it first came out, my brother actually met the author and a few others mentioned in the book in a club in hollywood in 2008, had a great laugh with them by all accounts! Funnily enough that night, they managed to get on the playboy bunny bus for a few hours (totally unrelated to meeting Neil Strauss), unfortunately I chose to leave a few days before all of this happened!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Thought that book was all about documenting weirdo pick up artists rather than trying to make you a weirdo pick up artist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Unfortunately./

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Was strangely bought for me as a present. Read first chapter before putting it somewhere and not thinking of it evr again until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

Never felt like that much of a loser to feel the need to.

It's 2015, I think we can move past the idea that reading books is for losers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

neil_ wrote: »
    It's 2015, I think we can move past the idea that reading books is for losers

If you find yourself actually considering reading book dedicated to manipulating a small sub-set of damaged women for the purposes of getting laid, then you're probably a loser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

I preferred his brother Levi. He's got the good genes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I haven't, but I predict there will be a lot of Jan 15 regs along presently who have. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

I haven't, but I predict there will be a lot of Jan 15 regs along presently who have. ;)

Pah, everyone wants the shiny new 151 reg. I'm just dreading the balloon payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

razorblunt wrote: »
    I lost. Well played OP.

Damn it, that's twice this week... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

What's the book about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Isn't it a handbook for sociopaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I actually thought it was an entertaining read in terms of the story but didn't take much stock from the PUA theory.

porsche959 wrote: »
    Isn't it a handbook for sociopaths?

Sociopaths need handbooks now?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I preferred his brother Levi. He's got the good genes.

Why does this post not have more thanks?

Sky King wrote: »
    Why does this post not have more thanks?

Because it's less than one hour old...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

catallus wrote: »
    What's the book about?

Its all about dat base, bout dat base.

no trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭blackwave

I thought it was a fun read. As for how useful his pickup stuff is now??? Things like Peacocking and bringing cards etc to clubs just sounds cringey to me. I think even he doesn't advocate that approach anymore either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Sugar Free wrote: »
    I actually thought it was an entertaining read in terms of the story but didn't take much stock from the PUA theory.

I've often heard of this book (mainly on here)...what actually is it about??

Would like to know from someone who actually read it

Im not for promoteing/dismissing it or anything....just pure curious
    Is it actually a story to it or is it like a diy book

BBDBB wrote: »
    Its all about dat base, bout dat base.

no trouble

Set in Russia, so?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭blackwave

It's mostly a story of how he ingrained himself into the Pickup Artist community and how he changed from being a failure with women in his words! To becoming much more confident and a success with women. I think it is very entertaining to be fair but I would take a lot of it with a pinch of salt.

Journalist for Rolling Stone does a piece on 'seduction' artists. Ends up becoming good friends with some of them and is heavily involved in the scene. Is widely regarded as one of the top PUA's.

Group of them rent out a big house and run paid courses for guys on how to be better with women.

Realises that although the stuff he learned helped him immensely to develop as a person, the nature of what they learn can screw up other guys views on things.

It's been about ten years since I read so that's my best recollection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

It's a funny old read alright, entertaining at times. it's very 'American-ey', you'd be frowned at quite a bit on this side of the water if you approached women the way that is described in the book. If it did anything for me it put in me in the mindframe to try and meet women, realistically it didn't help but worth the read for a laugh.

Ah good, haven't had a thread on this topic in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

Dean0088 wrote: »
    If you find yourself actually considering reading book dedicated to manipulating a small sub-set of damaged women for the purposes of getting laid, then you're probably a loser.

The Game is a novel, not a "book dedicated to manipulating a small sub-set of damaged women for the purposes of getting laid".

If you're not interested in it fair enough, but I really don't know why you'd call other people losers for reading it :confused: You're just assuming you know everything about it, having not even read it, and pronouncing judgement on others who do read it (not necessarily like or agree with it, just.. read it). Highly ignorant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Journalist for Rolling Stone does a piece on 'seduction' artists. Ends up becoming good friends with some of them and is heavily involved in the scene. Is widely regarded as one of the top PUA's.

Group of them rent out a big house and run paid courses for guys on how to be better with women.

Realises that although the stuff he learned helped him immensely to develop as a person, the nature of what they learn can screw up other guys views on things.

It's been about ten years since I read so that's my best recollection.

Very good report there

Just one last question....would it he regarded as a bit dated....as I often see it promoted around here (never in real life)

Advertisement