Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 GAA TV Schedule

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

I'd be fairly sure that there are more weekends where RTE has only football and no hurling than vice versa. Obviously RTE will play to its audience and given that football fans will generally watch hurling but only some hurling fans will watch football, simply because the skill level is light years apart, RTE will tend to go with hurling when given the chance. Its the same with why they show every Dublin football match even when its obvious that it is a match that will be over after ten minutes because the audience is guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

There is talk about the Munster final not being on TV because there are two qualifiers on. There are no other matches on that day, hurling or football, unless we have another draw or two this week. I assume the time won't be set until after the qualifier draw next Monday morning.

Surely, all three games could be on TV, with the Munster Final at 2:30 allowing for extra time, and the two qualifiers as planned at 5 and 7. I say this selfishly, I can't make it to Killarney on that Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,851 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Colm R wrote: »
    There is talk about the Munster final not being on TV because there are two qualifiers on. There are no other matches on that day, hurling or football, unless we have another draw or two this week. I assume the time won't be set until after the qualifier draw next Monday morning.

Surely, all three games could be on TV, with the Munster Final at 2:30 allowing for extra time, and the two qualifiers as planned at 5 and 7. I say this selfishly, I can't make it to Killarney on that Saturday.
    An alternative would be to let it happen at 7 and then show it as a delayed game then afterwards in full, like what RTE (and the other 3 provinces) forces on the extra Ulster championship games that BBC would like to show in addition to RTEs games.

An alternative would be to let it happen at 7 and then show it as a delayed game then afterwards in full, like what RTE (and the other 3 provinces) forces on the extra Ulster championship games that BBC would like to show in addition to RTEs games.

For what its worth, I agree the BBC should be permitted to show Ulster games not being broadcast live on the rest of the island.

With that said, for July 18th I think there is enough time in the day for three games to be shown live. Its telling that the time has not been set for the Munster final yet which is telling.

The Munster Council has confirmed that the Munster SFC final replay between Cork and Kerry will take place in Killarney on Saturday, July 18.
    The game will throw-in at 7pm.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0707151031-munster-sfc-final-replay-fixed-for-killarney/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Hard to see any of the Round 3b Qualifiers being televised ahead of Kerry v Cork. Or did something similar happen last year, where Sky were committed to showing a certain game and a replay wasn't shown anywhere as a result?

If Sky do show Kerry v Cork, it's hard to see RTE wanting to jump in to show, say, Tyrone v Armagh (or Meath v Galway if you will...) - it's hardly the attraction it was in the past. I would like if they did however...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭shockframe

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Hard to see any of the Round 3b Qualifiers being televised ahead of Kerry v Cork. Or did something similar happen last year, where Sky were committed to showing a certain game and a replay wasn't shown anywhere as a result?

If Sky do show Kerry v Cork, it's hard to see RTE wanting to jump in to show, say, Tyrone v Armagh (or Meath v Galway if you will...) - it's hardly the attraction it was in the past. I would like if they did however...

Think the World Matchplay Darts begins on the 18th so Sky will be giving that top priority and doubt they will be too bothered about Kerry and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Sky will only be showing the qualifiers and have the right to the 7pm slot

RTE have to work around that with the Munster Final

Last year, RTE showed the Waterford v Cork hurling replay online only. But that was on a Sunday, and RTE were already showing two games (Leinster and Connacht football matches) that day.

If Sky go ahead and show a football qualifier at 7pm, I can't see the Munster Final replay (fixed for 7) being available to watch anywhere.

Have Sky ever shown back to back games at 5pm/7pm when the games are in different locations?

I think theres a quite complicated problem here.

- RTE are in a major way spiteful and full of hatred and fear of sky and displayed enough of this before the sky deal was done in commissioning a report presenting pay tv as the most evil destructive thing possible and after the sky deal was done in the way they reported and presented the issue. They have the rights to replays of any game that they showed originally, so have rights to the Munster Final replay.
    - Sky have the 7pm slot on a Saturday.

So, will RTE let sky have the game. Probably not, and not even if they were paid. RTE and others are happy to paint the Sky deal as an abject failure and an attractive game with higher ratings would hurt this argument.
    Will sky permit RTE to show a game at same time as their slot. No, definitely not. Not even online. They have few enough exclusive games as it is.

Realistically the only chance of the game being shown is as a delayed showing. RTE get to show the game and make a few bob on ads. Sky retain their 7pm slot. The GAA public gets yet another free to air game. No live game means higher attendance - which for the umpteenth time is the most importance source of revenue for the GAA and not to be underestimated and if anything theres a move to have LESS games on TV, not more.

So with a delayed showing, everyones happy.

• Advertisement

They have the rights to replays of any game that they showed originally, so have rights to the Munster Final replay.

That's the end of that then. I assume that the Munster Final Reply time was agreed with the Gardai and it won't be moved. No way will RTE be able to show it at 7pm.

Damn it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The Munster final replay should be on TV and every effort should be made by all parties to ensure it is on TV.If it isn't on TV for whatever reason then it is simply a disgrace.

I think theres a quite complicated problem here.

- RTE are in a major way spiteful and full of hatred and fear of sky and displayed enough of this before the sky deal was done in commissioning a report presenting pay tv as the most evil destructive thing possible and after the sky deal was done in the way they reported and presented the issue. They have the rights to replays of any game that they showed originally, so have rights to the Munster Final replay.
    - Sky have the 7pm slot on a Saturday.

So, will RTE let sky have the game. Probably not, and not even if they were paid. RTE and others are happy to paint the Sky deal as an abject failure and an attractive game with higher ratings would hurt this argument.
    Will sky permit RTE to show a game at same time as their slot. No, definitely not. Not even online. They have few enough exclusive games as it is.

Realistically the only chance of the game being shown is as a delayed showing. RTE get to show the game and make a few bob on ads. Sky retain their 7pm slot. The GAA public gets yet another free to air game. No live game means higher attendance - which for the umpteenth time is the most importance source of revenue for the GAA and not to be underestimated and if anything theres a move to have LESS games on TV, not more.

Delayed showing of matches are sh1te.You may get to see the whole match but there is a completely artificial feel to it.

I'm not to be honest - I know they can't facilitate everyone and thats fair enough. But in general, there is a reasonable expectation that provincial finals are on TV. For those that simply cannot go, who otherwise would on a Sunday or whatever, that reasonable expectation is gone.

Yes, I will watch delayed coverage, but I will find it difficult to pass the time from 7pm to 9pm.

Munster Council at fault anyway - the game should be 3 or even 2:30.

Very Bored wrote: »
    I'd be fairly sure that there are more weekends where RTE has only football and no hurling than vice versa. Obviously RTE will play to its audience and given that football fans will generally watch hurling but only some hurling fans will watch football, simply because the skill level is light years apart, RTE will tend to go with hurling when given the chance. Its the same with why they show every Dublin football match even when its obvious that it is a match that will be over after ten minutes because the audience is guaranteed.

If that is the case why were there 5 Football matches in the top 20 most watched sports programmes last year and only 2 hurling matches?

Only 1 of the football matches involved Dublin and the 2 hurling matches were the All Ireland finals.

Munster Council at fault anyway - the game should be 3 or even 2:30.

Only if it was moved to Thurles or Limerick?

Only if it was moved to Thurles or Limerick?
    Why can't it be earlier in the day in Killarney?

There are plenty of other things going on in Killarney that day AFAIK. Gardai likely had their say.

Traffic issues were mentioned possibly as the tourist trade and mammies doing their weekly shop is in full swing in the afternoon.

I'd also imagine that the later throw in means a higher attendance, and for the Munster council there would be few tears shed if the thing isnt on TV as that only boosts the attendance further.

I'd also imagine that the later throw in means a higher attendance, and for the Munster council there would be few tears shed if the thing isnt on TV as that only boosts the attendance further.

Yeah, that too.

• Advertisement

Yeah - just checked. There is a marathon to the south of the town that day. Parts of the N71 to the south of the town will be closed that day up to 1pm. So an early throw in probably would cause chaos.

I assumed after the draw that it was going to be on this Saturday. Gutted after the match when we heard quickly it was going to be the 18th and resigned myself to the television - now it seems that is gone :confused:

Decisions - radio or deferred coverage?

@Dirty Dingus McGee

The bigger counties tend to play more football than hurling which may explain the viewing figures discrepancy. It could also be the fact that there are slightly more important football than hurling matches (more provincial finals, semi finals and All Ireland quarter finals). I stand by the statement that, and this could still affect figures earlier in the summer when there is more choice, that football fans will, in general, watch hurling more than hurling fans will watch football.

Very Bored wrote: »
    @Dirty Dingus McGee

The bigger counties tend to play more football than hurling which may explain the viewing figures discrepancy. It could also be the fact that there are slightly more important football than hurling matches (more provincial finals, semi finals and All Ireland quarter finals). I stand by the statement that, and this could still affect figures earlier in the summer when there is more choice, that football fans will, in general, watch hurling more than hurling fans will watch football.

But in general there are more football fans than hurling fans so that would balance up that.

The football final, semi finals and one of the quarter finals were the only matches to make it into the top 20 and hurling has all those games as well.

But in general there are more football fans than hurling fans so that would balance up that.

The football final, semi finals and one of the quarter finals were the only matches to make it into the top 20 and hurling has all those games as well.

True enough. But I woiuld still say that the RTÉ marketing department knows what its doing. Simply because football does better in terms of viewing figures later in the summer doesn't mean it does so earlier on. To be honest, I don't know if what I'm saying is true or not, I'm just trying to suggest a logical reason. Being a hurling supporter, and knowing a lot of hurling supporters, I do know that those of us who also watch football are a much rarer breed than football fans who also watch hurling. Me, for example, I will only watch Cavan because I have family connections there, but generally speaking I don't bother and I know plenty of others who are similar. That football is more popular overall is clear as day, I would argue its because its easier to play, possibly also easier to understand. However, earlier in the summer where local rather than national interest prevails it might just be that the fact football fans generally will watch hurling tips the balance.

That said, I think there is more, far more, football on RTÉ than hurling. So I suppose it depends on personal bias. When there is a weekend with football and no hurling I have nothing to watch so I tend to notice it, whereas a hurling and no football weekend to me is something I enjoy so I don't notice it in the same way.

RTE are showing the Munster Final replay at 7pm - didn't see that coming - wonder what Sky will think?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

RTE are showing the Munster Final replay at 7pm - didn't see that coming - wonder what Sky will think?

they must have reached an agreement with Sky to show it at the same time

greendom wrote: »
    they must have reached an agreement with Sky to show it at the same time

Or, they are just showing it without regard for Sky!

Hard to see how Sky would agree. No matter what game the Qualifiers throw up, hard to see many choosing to watch it over the Munster Final Replay.

Or, they are just showing it without regard for Sky!

Hard to see how Sky would agree. No matter what game the Qualifiers throw up, hard to see many choosing to watch it over the Munster Final Replay.
    very surprised at this.
    Sky seem to have lost their 7pm slot that day. From the sky website:

SAT 18TH JULY
    Live GAA
    Football Championships, Sky Sports 5 HD (14:30), Sky Sports 5 HD (17:00)

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/gaa-on-sky

very surprised at this.
    Sky seem to have lost their 7pm slot that day. From the sky website:

SAT 18TH JULY
    Live GAA
    Football Championships, Sky Sports 5 HD (14:30), Sky Sports 5 HD (17:00)

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/gaa-on-sky

Would have thought 7pm would be 'prime time' for showing a match.

But, were Sky always going to show two games that day? If they were only going to show one at 7pm, then maybe the compromise was to give them an extra game so that they agreed to broadcast at 5pm? EDIT - I see that Sky were always showing two games that day.

It's possible that RTE just decided to show the game and Sky had to react, but it's hard to see them being too happy if this was the case. Would imagine the GAA would have had to mediate here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Would have thought 7pm would be 'prime time' for showing a match.

But, were Sky always going to show two games that day? If they were only going to show one at 7pm, then maybe the compromise was to give them an extra game so that they agreed to broadcast at 5pm? EDIT - I see that Sky were always showing two games that day.

It's possible that RTE just decided to show the game and Sky had to react, but it's hard to see them being too happy if this was the case. Would imagine the GAA would have had to mediate here.

Sky had 2 matches for that day. The site says one match or matches before the fixtures are decided for each game day.

Advertisement