Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nooo, My poor beemer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

These cars have an extremely different value here versus the UK. all comes down to the cost of a years tax.

You would have to find one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

mickdw wrote: »
    You would have to find one though.

Lo, thats the main issue. I spent months trying to find a 90's e32 740 and simply cant for less then 4 or 5k outside of a scrap yard.
    728 to 735 seem to be much more available but still quite rare,
    Even the insurance company failed to find one when i agreed to settle for the 2k if they could find one for sale near that price.

I could have gotten this sorted months ago if i went after the injury claim to my neck and arm, Doctors and hospital visits and receipts are all available but i covered the costs for that from my aviva insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

massy086 wrote: »

You don't want a 7 Series with a gearbox fault now do you :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

You don't want a 7 Series with a gearbox fault now do you :pac:

Auto boxes are not that hard to get and not that expensive either. ZF 5hp30 is €300 shipped from Poland. (E38 740/750i box)

• Advertisement

Buying a non runner is not an option as you dont know what you are buying if you cant even test drive it,

but keep them coming as I'm still looking for a decent one. ps two of those are e38's not e32's

the e32 750 is a non runner as well, but i contacted the seller for more info and pics.
    but still useful, i can pass on the info to the insurance.as the only cars i can get with their offer are non runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Skatedude wrote: »
    Buying a non runner is not an option as you dont know what you are buying if you cant even test drive it,

but keep them coming as I'm still looking for a decent one. ps two of those are e38's not e32's

the e32 750 is a non runner as well, but i contacted the seller for more info and pics.
    but still useful, i can pass on the info to the insurance.as the only cars i can get with their offer are non runners.

I'm actually shocked your still in this position. It's a joke it's taken that long, really is.

Just a slight update, I found someone who i can give the car away to. He's in the garage trade so he is planning to try and fix it up on his own time which is what i hoped for as i really didnt want to see it just been scrapped.

I just have to wait for the insurance claim to be sorted first before i'm allowed to sign over the ownership which should hopefully be the decade or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Just be aware of the French Car Trap. A lot of people in your situation will end up with one of the 2-3 trillion cheap Peugeot 206's out there that can be had for buttons.
    Do not do it! You will never own a more miserable car. I am reluctant to be a passenger in them.

Just be aware of the French Car Trap. A lot of people in your situation will end up with one of the 2-3 trillion cheap Peugeot 206's out there that can be had for buttons.
    Do not do it! You will never own a more miserable car. I am reluctant to be a passenger in them.

Not even possible if i wanted. Even though the claim is on the other party's insurance and they have admitted liability, My insurance is blocked while the claim is ongoing and i cannot even get an insurance quote from any company.

I tried for a cheap 2002 3 series to tide me over which was a good deal, but was told no company will even quote me until this is sorted. Seems completely unfair as there is no claim against me?
    So i can only get a car that is covered by my existing classic policy, so basically must be at least 15 years old, ie, old jag, old merc or old beemer.

It's been 6 months now and need transport, so currently looking at an 97 bmw 840 as it would be covered under my current policy, just really didnt want to spend too much of my redundancy until i knew whats happening, which they wont tell me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Not even possible if i wanted. Even though the claim is on the other party's insurance and they have admitted liability, My insurance is blocked while the claim is ongoing and i cannot even get an insurance quote from any company.

I tried for a cheap 2002 3 series to tide me over which was a good deal, but was told no company will even quote me until this is sorted. Seems completely unfair as there is no claim against me?
    So i can only get a car that is covered by my existing classic policy, so basically must be at least 15 years old, ie, old jag, old merc or old beemer.

It's been 6 months now and need transport, so currently looking at an 97 bmw 840 as it would be covered under my current policy, just really didnt want to spend too much of my redundancy until i knew whats happening, which they wont tell me.

Joke of a situation to be honest.
    I think you need to take on a professional to fight them. A solicitor will know exactly what you can ask for and give them 7 days to action it.
    Revenue always refer to 'arms length sale' when dealing with valuations for disposal of assets etc. I don't know the exact meaning but would assume it means a value that can readily be achieved on the open market.
    I would be of the opinion that the insurer should have to offer you an amount of money that would allow you to readily purchase a similar car. You shouldn't have to look out for a cheap one, or take a poorer model or wait for one to appear on the market at a cheaper price.
    Surely they should load the premium for cars that might prove difficult to replace, not complain about the cost of replacing them when the claim comes.
    I obviously don't know what your car was like condition wise so that is a possible stumbling block.

Already got a professional to deal with them. had to after the first few months.
    They dont understand why they are even fighting it as it isnt even a big claim.

They know i would settle for 4k even though that wouldn't have replaced the car with similar, and the legal fees will cost them more then that. Just dont get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Insurance companies boil my p!ss.
    I know it's not quite the same thing, but a number of years ago I was in a similar situation, except that it was a classic bike I had.
    Like you, the insurance company wanted to classify it as a commercial write off. But I insisted, that a collectible classic motorbike (or car) does not fall into the same remit as an ordinary everyday bike (or car) which you can find anytime in the adverts section.
    I also contested that it was absolutely not my fault that their client was careless and through their carelessness caused the damage to my bike. I showed them the receipts for the money that I had spent on the bike restoring it and photographs of it finished and I told them that I wasn't letting all my efforts go to waste.
    I told them that I was not accepting it as a commercial write off and that I wanted it put back exactly the way it was before their insured driver ran into me, after all, is that not what he paid his insurance for and said that I was willing to go to court for it.
    Granted at the time I was a very stroppy 20 something year old, but I got all my money in full.
    Don't let them mess you around anymore.
    Remember, you didn't ask for the other driver to run into your pride and joy, don't let them take advantage of you.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Look on the bright side..........another BMW off the road!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

H8clR.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Jesus, talk about kicking someone when they're down. Chap's car gets written off and people give out about the bodykit!

Terrible rear lights too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

nc19 wrote: »
    Terrible rear lights too!

NC why are you on here? To rip the hell out of the chaps car?

Cheers, nice car, but engine is only the smaller straight 6 instead of the V8. You get very used to the sound and feel of a V8 and hard to go back to something smaller.
    On the plus side, i got my 97 840 to replace it so i'm at least mobile again, now just have to wait another few years for the insurance to finally be paid out.

PS, I know my 7 series was a bit of a monstrosity, But wheres the fun in driving a boring clone of all the other identical cars out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

any pics of your new 840?

• Advertisement

Needs some work as it's been sitting idle for the last 6 or 7 years or so, but is a genuine 57000 miles car.
    Been unused for so long that all fluids, hoses filters etc had to be done, it was in the garage 3 weeks getting it all sorted and now runs like a dream.
    Body needs some attention, It will need a partial respray and a few small dings etc and the rear bumper needs to be resprayed or replaced, But nothing too major, Again what you expect for a car thats been idle for years. Just happy to be mobile again after 6 months.

ncHoIPel.jpg

Still needs wheels, 18 inch alpina 20 spoke softlines would be my choice, but they are very rare and hard to come by, so will probably be replica's that are as close as i can find.
    Then just need a huge monstrosity of a body kit for it ;) Kidding, this one is staying fairly stock,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Nice, the e32 will be a distant memory in a short space of time !!

Good luck with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Those 8 series have an unreal road presence! Hope it goes well for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

very nice car, did you buy it local? Im sure I saw it in a dealership for sale around 6-7 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Best of luck with the big 8. Gorgeous car that has aged so well. Looks like you got a nice genuine car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Needs some work as it's been sitting idle for the last 6 or 7 years or so, but is a genuine 57000 miles car.
    Been unused for so long that all fluids, hoses filters etc had to be done, it was in the garage 3 weeks getting it all sorted and now runs like a dream.
    Body needs some attention, It will need a partial respray and a few small dings etc and the rear bumper needs to be resprayed or replaced, But nothing too major, Again what you expect for a car thats been idle for years. Just happy to be mobile again after 6 months.

ncHoIPel.jpg

Still needs wheels, 18 inch alpina 20 spoke softlines would be my choice, but they are very rare and hard to come by, so will probably be replica's that are as close as i can find.
    Then just need a huge monstrosity of a body kit for it ;) Kidding, this one is staying fairly stock,

That looks lovely, good luck with it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

8 series are serious piece of kit. When they came out they were from a different planet. Fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

are these the 20 spoke wheels you're talking about? 33531775.jpeg

would suit the 8 well id say

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

97 840

Nice..jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Nice!!

Buy Alpinas and sell me the throwing stars for my E36!! ;)

Advertisement