Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nooo, My poor beemer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

wonski wrote: »
    What I meant is it is not that rare to demand a rebuild "regardless of cost";)

We are talking €€€ here if this particular car was going back on the road on its frame. Add to that original parts, labour etc... not gonna happen imo.

Ah I get ya now, read that wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Looks like a bit of an severe {dual} impact to do all that, and the older cars usually hold up better than the new lighter tin cans.

Heard someone say that in most cases of whiplash or personal injury - the effects of it aren't really felt until the following day when the ligaments, muscle tissue damage or spinal misalignments become more inflamed and noticeable. There is often a bit of an adrenaline boost due to shock at these things, and damaged folks are thus still able to jump out to check the damage.

So if you wake up and can't tie your laces nor raise both arms, one of those web co's with the domain suffix of '4u.com' may be of use...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I feel physically sick looking at that, sorry to see that happen op!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Skatedude wrote: »
    I'll let you know what they say, but on another piece of bad luck, the other driver is with the same insurance company i am. Much less likely to push claiming from the other driver.

Either way, i hope it all works out for all of us drivers involved. accidents are never nice to be in regardless of the situation or cause.
    Later, going to sleep off a sore neck.

To some people that's worth €20k.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

Caliden wrote: »

Not really as clear cut as that without knowing what actually happened.

But there is a good chance op is the one that has to cover the front of his car damage and the back of the guy he rear ended, he himself would have contributed to his own whiplash (if he has any) so not sure what happens there.

Insurance company have his area and a rare car with year and will find this thread to see he was coached to claim it for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

kceire wrote: »
    Know the car and your house well. I wont say more on a public forum.

I thought you were going to tell him you were outside next :P

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

His 93 Beemer is a rare car, it's an E32 740i, there's 3 E32's for sale on Pistonheads in the UK and 0 for sale on DoneDeal here. Decent enough chance of a good payout I think.

I had an '89 E32 735iL (Original Irish)
    Had it on DoneDeal for months, no-one wants them due to tax/running costs.

I sold it for €550, relatively rust free but had been off the road a few years.

Sorry for the loss OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Sorry about the car...as someone who keeps cars for very long times, I understand your position. It's also incredibly annoying having to deal with the insurance nonsense.
    ...as it's 22 years old...
    ... i'm on classic ins...

How does that work? I was under the impression that the car needs to be 30 years old to be insured as classic? I am interested in this, because a bit ago I turned down a 1992 car that was offered to me due to insurance.
    macyard wrote: »
    The person he hit in front will likely also claim whiplash too and his premium will go up. He is responsible for the guy he rearended as he should have left enough space for there to be no contact.

I don't think it's so clear cut; It may depend on the first driver's statement. Many years ago my dad (driving my car!) was the first driver in a collision just like this. He stopped at a red light, and a girl stopped behind him.

About 10 seconds later another woman slammed into the second car which, in turn, collided with mine in front. She hit them full on, no braking marks to be found on the road, and claimed "she didn't see them".

In the end, the second woman's insurance had to pay damages to both other cars, as my dad clearly stated that both himself and the younger girl had been sitting at the red light for quite some time, before the third car collided with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Sorry dude, looked like a sweet car.

Glad everyone is okay, as you said that's the most important thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

macyard wrote: »
    The person he hit in front will likely also claim whiplash too and his premium will go up. He is responsible for the guy he rearended as he should have left enough space for there to be no contact.

How many are in the front car op they are who you need to be worried about incase they do the irish thing and claim injury just to be some bucks
    Had a car get rear-ended by another car being shunted into it. The driver who caused the whole thing had to cough up for both cars and I claimed directly against him as advised by my insurer. None of this 'I claim of you, you claim of him' stuff in my case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    How does that work? I was under the impression that the car needs to be 30 years old to be insured as classic? I am interested in this, because a bit ago I turned down a 1992 car that was offered to me due to insurance.
    There's no single definition of what is classic or not. Classic insurance can be got for 20 year old cars.
    http://www.quoteclassiccarinsurance.ie/faq/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

slimjimmc wrote: »
    There's no single definition of what is classic or not. Classic insurance can be got for 20 year old cars.
    http://www.quoteclassiccarinsurance.ie/faq/

Some will insure cars that are 15 years old on a classic policy. However these policies usually have conditions for mileage etc on them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Lads, stop this talk of insurance fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If he has a sore neck beyond 3 days then he should see a doctor.

Otherwise it's just sore muscles from the shunt as they're muscles that are rarely put under strain which is, like I've said already, perfectly normal having been in 2 rear endings personally.

He isn't going to get 20k for some muscle soreness that will be gone in a couple of days'

If the pain lasts beyond that then definitely make a personally injury claim but the OP would only be wasting his time seeing a doctor now only to be told 'that will be gone by tomorrow, come back and see me if it isn't'

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

that truly sucks :( sorry to see the beamer that way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

quick update. insurance assessor called this morning.he pretty much agreed that it's a financial write off as it would cost far more then the car is valued at. Defiantly needs the whole frame straightened. :(

As for insurance, i'm on classic insurance as the car is more then 20 years old and limited to 15K millage a year. But to answer the other question, you can get classic insurance at 20 years, but you cant tax it as a classic until it's 30 years, so i still pay the 2 grand a year tax.

As for my neck, yes its a bit sore as expected, but i'm sure it will be fine in a few days and i have health insurance to cover any issues. I spent years skateboarding,running skateparks and wont even mention what i think of people who see an injury as dollar signs.
    At the moment, i have no transport as it was my daily and only car. Hoping i can borrow my mothers car for a week or so as i've only a week to finish in work before i'm let go.

I would rather give the car away to someone who might take it on to repair it as i cant afford to. and one of the reasons i picked that body kit is that it sits over the original bumpers which are still underneath so it could easily be returned to stock if i ever found the ac kit i was looking for.

As for the who claims of who. The insurance company said that the front driver would be claiming off my insurance, then my insurance would claim all those costs as well as the damage to my car back from the person who ran into us.
    Nothing else i can do except wait to hear back.

quick update. insurance assessor called this morning.he pretty much agreed that it's a financial write off as it would cost far more then the car is valued at. Definatly needs the whole frame straightened. :(

Not sure how much the car is worth to you but you could still invest in it and get her straight again etc.:confused: ?
    Or maybe try get the necessary parts and all valued a bit less than what the car is worth (dealer, car friends, ebay) and that way you could still repair her?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

I used to drive a 1990 e32 735 and really liked it. Although being a bit of a purist I didn't fit spoilers or the like, but each to their own. Sorry for your troubles and I hope you reach some sort of satisfactory conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

As for the who claims of who. The insurance company said that the front driver would be claiming off me, then my insurance would claim all those costs as well as the damage to me back from the person who ran into us.
    Nothing else i can do except wait to hear back.

Sorry to go off topic a bit but does this mean you lose your NCB or not?

Any more talk of this nonsense insurance fraud malarkey and people will just be banned for a month.

OP, very sorry to see the car in such a state....would be devastated is the same happened mine!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Caliden wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic a bit but does this mean you lose your NCB or not?

No, he shouldnt as all costs will be reimbursed by the rear ender.

kceire wrote: »
    No, he shouldnt as all costs will be reimbursed by the rear ender.

Exactly, had almost the exact same situation happening to me, the other person will lose it tho

Any more talk of this nonsense insurance fraud malarkey and people will just be banned for a month.

OP, very sorry to see the car in such a state....would be devastated is the same happened mine!

Apologies, I did not mean to imply fraud in any shape. The op stated he had a sore neck. If he is indeed injured from the crash he has a legitimate claim. If he isn't, of course he hasn't. In my personal opinion I think that 20k payouts for a bit of stiff neck is obscene and wrong, but its not illegal.

celica00 wrote: »
    Not sure how much the car is worth to you but you could still invest in it and get her straight again etc.:confused: ?
    Or maybe try get the necessary parts and all valued a bit less than what the car is worth (dealer, car friends, ebay) and that way you could still repair her?

I would love to get it fixed. thats what i want to do. I simply dont have anywhere near the money to do so without a job to finance it.

If the option is a few grand from the insurance company and scraping the car. i will refuse the offer if i can find someone who will take it for free and try to save it. Thats what i did with my old 525 years ago when i couldnt afford to fix an engine issue.

As for my neck, i't's a bloody sprain, it will be fine in a few days. I've had far worse just skateboarding over the years., many, many metal screws plates, rods etc

On topic, does anyone know crash repairs in dublin that would call out to give a repair estimate as the cars not movable atm.
    might be against forum rules to post public, but you can pm me if you know anyone.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Those E32s were really cool cars... Old Bimmers in general were so cool :(

Pov06 wrote: »
    Those E32s were really cool cars... Old Bimmers in general were so cool :(

Given enough time, ever Beemer will turn into an old Beemer. :D
    For me that would be 70's Beemers...(and I'm not a Beemer person, more old Mercs, now THOSE are cool)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

On topic, does anyone know crash repairs in dublin that would call out to give a repair estimate as the cars not movable atm.
    might be against forum rules to post public, but you can pm me if you know anyone.
    Cheers

If you can get all the parts it could be done for around a grand labour inc paint and sundries .
    Part s required what's visible
    Bonnet inc hinges,
    Lhf wing,
    Front bumper + both brackets and bumper reinforcement bar, unless it went under car in front and bumper escaped damage
    Front panel inc or plus bonnet locking panel
    Bonnet catch,
    Check for radiator and air con radiator and condenser for damage and distortion/leaks
    Headlamps plus brackets
    Grilles plus kidney chromes
    Rear panel plus rear lights
    Rear bumper plus brackets, plus reinforcement bar
    Plus whatever visible damage after stripping. Quarter panels look undamaged unkinked indicating no "frame" or major chassis damage.
    The only viable way to get these parts is secondhand as a lot of stuff will come free eg; bonnet come with hinges brackets,catches and sound insulation.
    Biggest bit of labour is pulling boot floor plus front leg and welding on front and rear panels, after bolting on replacement body parts,not a whole lot of "repairs"once all new panels fitted. Unless it needs rads and air on etc.
    Still looking at a 2k plus bill all in.
    E&OE :D

Lo,
    2K if it turns out near that, i'll gladly pay it to keep her on the road. i'm trying to get a quote for the repairs atm.

Later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Bigus wrote: »
    If you can get all the parts it could be done for around a grand labour inc paint and sundries .
    Part s required what's visible
    Bonnet inc hinges,
    Lhf wing,
    Front bumper + both brackets and bumper reinforcement bar, unless it went under car in front and bumper escaped damage
    Front panel inc or plus bonnet locking panel
    Bonnet catch,
    Check for radiator and air con radiator and condenser for damage and distortion/leaks
    Headlamps plus brackets
    Grilles plus kidney chromes
    Rear panel plus rear lights
    Rear bumper plus brackets, plus reinforcement bar
    Plus whatever visible damage after stripping. Quarter panels look undamaged unkinked indicating no "frame" or major chassis damage.
    The only viable way to get these parts is secondhand as a lot of stuff will come free eg; bonnet come with hinges brackets,catches and sound insulation.
    Biggest bit of labour is pulling boot floor plus front leg and welding on front and rear panels, after bolting on replacement body parts,not a whole lot of "repairs"once all new panels fitted. Unless it needs rads and air on etc.
    Still looking at a 2k plus bill all in.
    E&OE :D
    You wont get any kind of quality for a grand for all that labour and paint try doubling it then maybe there is a chance

Advertisement