Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanator Catherine Noone on the Tubridy show this morning.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Online Outrage Crew

Picture lots of belly, neckbeard and heavy metal t-shirts.

How in the name of muppetry would you know what an 'online outrage crew' look like?

I'd like to nominate this as SPOTM (stupid post of the month).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What is it about FG, we had to listen to one fool a few days ago acting like the nations mammy saying we will be all much healthier now having to buy expensive booze in the pub and now this senator is bladdering on about something she later admitted she knew nothing about.

We should have abolished that useless Seanad when we had the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Post anything that expresses concern about the safety and sportsmanship of UFC/MMA and it tends to bring out the Online Outrage Crew in large numbers.

Many of them appear to be the sort that aren't exactly specimens of health and hand-eye coordination themselves. Picture lots of belly, neckbeard and heavy metal t-shirts.
    same as all sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Fair play to her. Yes she made a mistake calling for it to be banned, she wasn't afraid to admit she made a mistake and changed her mind. So many irish politicians are very stubborn and won't admit they're wrong or made a mistake/quick decision without thinking throughly and follow through on their actions to somehow save face. Some just never speak about the issue again and pretend it never happened. (Looking at you Fedelma Healy Eames).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Post anything that expresses concern about the safety and sportsmanship of UFC/MMA and it tends to bring out the Online Outrage Crew in large numbers.

It might look nasty but I don't think the deep damage is as bad as a boxing match, they might end up with more cuts and broken bones (not sure about the second one) but there isn't the same amount of shaking up of the brain which causes the real nasty problems.

Sportsmanship I'm not sure about, don't follow it seriously myself but anything thats ran just by one company I can see having issues about promoting certain people and so on to boost revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

In fairness everybody has an opinion on something they know nothing about, only for the fact her's was broadcast nobody would care what she thinks.

Though I would have hoped that a politician would at least have conducted research before commentating.

Thats what annoys more tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

You're going to have to elaborate on this one.

No prob. Its the upper chamber in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
    Why is it "vile?" Is this your opinion of all combat sports, or do you view it differently to more established disciplines? And why is it a "so-called" sport?

I was quoting Senator Noone. Ask her.

I think its all a load of crap.
    An athletic contest with well-defined rules testing the skill of two opponents sounds very much like a sport to me.

Good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

A Senator complaining about something which she was completely ignorant of? Colour me shocked.

At least she's had the decency to acknowledge her mistake. I reckon we won't see such an outburst from any of the esteemed members of the upper house again. I bet the rest of them were mortified.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to rape someone on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

The fact that she got onto the radio to condemn something she admitted she knew nothing about is worrying.

Being a senator in the seanad makes it even more worrying. She has influence. If that's her stance on a sport I'm worried about her stance on more important issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

In fairness everybody has an opinion on something they know nothing about, only for the fact her's was broadcast nobody would care what she thinks.

Though I would have hoped that a politician would at least have conducted research before commentating.

Thats what annoys more tbh
    The fact that she got onto the radio to condemn something she admitted she knew nothing about is worrying.

Being a senator in the seanad makes it even more worrying. She has influence. If that's her stance on a sport I'm worried about her stance on more important issues.

She is also a trained solicitor and the Fine Gael Seanad spokesperson on Arts and Culture.
    Double DOH!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mikom wrote: »
    She is also a trained solicitor.
    Double DOH!!!

*shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Cienciano wrote: »
    Fair play to her. Yes she made a mistake calling for it to be banned, she wasn't afraid to admit she made a mistake and changed her mind.

She only changed her mind because, rather than gleefully riding a wave of support, she was ridiculed for being a twat.

I'm sure she would have been delighted if she'd have mobilised the Joe Duffy Brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

mikom wrote: »
    She is also a trained solicitor and the Fine Gael Seanad spokesperson on Arts and Culture.
    Double DOH!!!

So she gets paid a lot of money to be a dafty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

For many years, Fine Gael's electoral failures allowed the party a valuable lack of media scrutiny. It was a party so well-hidden in the shadows, that any of the media attention it received was absorbed by its high-profile leader, a public intellectual so well-respected they called him 'Garret the Good', and by a subsequent leader-Taoiseach, the dim but well-meaning large farmer, John Bruton.

These men therefore personified Fine Gael in the public mind, conveying an image of a party intending to serve the well-cultivated, and cultivators of large farms.

When, in 2011, Fine Gael won its first election in almost 30 years, it landed on its arse in the public spotlight, and those perceptions of the party vanished like fart in a cattle-mart.

Gone were the illusions of an Irish Tory party, as we were confronted with a party that is just as blundering and populist as Fianna Fail, with just as many semi-literate TDs, ruddy-faced from toiling at the parish pump.

Calling opposition TDs c*nts; comparing Irish Water protestors to ISIS; people getting raped on Facebook; appointing petrol-station owners to the board of the national modern-art gallery, whilst simultaneously doing its best to alienate genuinely talented, intelligent men like Peter Matthews and George Lee.

Catherine Noone's latest facepalm seems relatively minor by comparison, but we might as well add her to the list.

I was always skeptical about a Fine Gael and Fianna Fail amalgamation. This Government's term has convinced me that no two parties could be more compatible nor more alike in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

That's where is stand on it too. I'm shocked at her unprofessionalism. To go to the bother of writing a letter to the minister calling for a ban on something she hasn't actually researched is bad. What else is she making calls on or voting on without any knowledge of the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

SW wrote: »

Children aren't allowed to run in school yards anymore?! Scandalous... British bulldog ahoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Didn't she say that she'd never actually watched UFC and was going on info from one of her bffs?

Spa.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

yipeeeee wrote: »
    The cage is to stop the fighters falling out and injuring themselves.

It's purely for safety.

Interestingly enough the cage didn't come about for safety, back around ufc1 they thought having fights in a cage would make it more seem more extreme, along with the whole "two men enter- one man leaves" schtick.

Thye actually had plans to surround the cage with a moat filled with sharks or something at one stage.

Simpler times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Bambi wrote: »
    Interestingly enough the cage didn't come about for safety, back around ufc1 they thought having fights in a cage would make it more seem more extreme, along with the whole "two men enter- one man leaves" schtick.

Thye actually had plans to surround the cage with a moat filled with sharks or something at one stage.

Simpler times

Not sure if serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Not sure if serious.

It was crocodiles actually. Seriously.
    That was a long time ago though. MMA was a totally different animal back then. And that was really only one guys idea and was never gonna happen.

• Advertisement

El Guapo! wrote: »
    That was a long time ago though. MMA was a totally different animal back then. And that was really only one guys idea and was never gonna happen.

I'm talking about why the cage came in.

When it was started lads were getting thrown out and injuring themselves i thought.

The two lads enter one leaves is a myth i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

El Guapo! wrote: »

Pfft.. Give me the good old NHB days, least it wasn't full of profiteering shills and bandwagon jumpers back then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Yeah ! Another Thick !
    I have said it before and I'll say it again : -
    Oireland is run by a bunch of Clowns for a bunch of Clowns ... and always has been ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Cienciano wrote: »
    Fair play to her. Yes she made a mistake calling for it to be banned, she wasn't afraid to admit she made a mistake and changed her mind.
    I suppose it's a good thing she didn't belligerently stick to her guns, but it was more than a mistake though. It was a knee jerk reaction based on a 2nd hand opinion and pure ignorance.
    It might look nasty but I don't think the deep damage is as bad as a boxing match, they might end up with more cuts and broken bones (not sure about the second one) but there isn't the same amount of shaking up of the brain which causes the real nasty problems.
    The jury's out on whether boxing gloves do more harm than good. Boxer are basically wearing cushioned weights on their hands and while the force is spread across a wider load meaning there are less cuts but that weight and force still gets transferred into the guys brain.

UFC fighters can get knocked out pretty easily and with much less force. The small gloves mean with an accurate punch to the right part of the head you can floor anybody instantly, without doing any major damage because you're causing an sensory overload as much as anything.

Reply from minister of sport:

Dear Catherine,
    I'll just forget about this letter so lol??

ScumLord wrote: »
    I suppose it's a good thing she didn't belligerently stick to her guns, but it was more than a mistake though. It was a knee jerk reaction based on a 2nd hand opinion and pure ignorance.

The jury's out on whether boxing gloves do more harm than good. Boxer are basically wearing cushioned weights on their hands and while the force is spread across a wider load meaning there are less cuts but that weight and force still gets transferred into the guys brain.

UFC fighters can get knocked out pretty easily and with much less force. The small gloves mean with an accurate punch to the right part of the head you can floor anybody instantly, without doing any major damage because you're causing an sensory overload as much as anything.
    Don't forget when you get knocked out in boxing they do a count to ten then send you back out.

In ufc if you get knocked out or floored it's over and that's it.

Don't forget when you get knocked out in boxing they do a count to ten then send you back out.

reminds me of watson eubank.....all watson had to do was survive the last round to win, he took a life threatening beating in round 11 and had to be assisted back out for the 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yeah, the referees in UFC seem to have much more power and are very much focused on the well being of the fighter. They are very quick to stop a fight and will call it even if a guy is still conscious but not putting up a fight. That's part of the chess like quality to UFC, there are a number of ways to end a fight including just preventing your opponent from fighting back.

Advertisement