Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanator Catherine Noone on the Tubridy show this morning.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Fine Gael...

Nuff said.

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

I'm not into banning things but she's correct in calling it a "vile so-called sport".

Its a load of shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Hardly unique to Ireland, people just see the cage and jump to conclusions based on nothing remotely factual. Sure it's still banned in New York, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Some of these plebs should be compelled to apply for a licence before they speak.
    Reminds me of the 'frapping' debate in the dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hardly unique to Ireland, people just see the cage and jump to conclusions based on nothing remotely factual. Sure it's still banned in New York, isn't it?
    It's not banned as far as i know, just unlicensed, which i believe is happening this year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Some of these plebs should be compelled to apply for a licence before they speak.
    Reminds me of the 'frapping' debate in the dail.

Seanad.

• Moderators Posts: 51,720 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Here is a fine example of a politician making a fool of herself.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/leftfield/senator-backtracks-on-call-to-ban-conor-mcgregors-dublin-title-fight-after-fan-outcry-30906827.html

Going to the media to ban something, and then going on radio to defend yourself without even knowing what it is!!

(Catherine has held her hand up after the interview to admit she was wrong, and will avail of all the offers of training and education she has been offered)

Not the first time she's made silly suggestions....

A Fine Gael senator wants to regulate ice-cream van chimes, but says ‘it’s about a bigger issue’
    SENATOR CATHERINE NOONE says that her proposal to regulate the chimes on ice-cream vans is “about a bigger issue”.

Noone has made headlines recently by proposing a ban on Frappucinos and a lifting of rules that stop children running in the school yard.

Now, she wants to limit the amount of times an ice-cream vendor can play their jingle. Noone says that though the proposals may seem frivolous, they are part of a wider conversation on childhood obesity.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Best be silent and be thought the fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt Ms Noone

yeah and i got the impression from the interview she was embarrassed that all she's managed to achieve in her life was to call for a ban on icecream, caramel frappacinos and UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'd find boxing interesting, even kickboxing sometimes. But the 'ground and pound' stuff in MMA just makes it look like a legitimised street fight. Watching 2 lads kicking lumps out of each other like this, in a cage, doesn't really appeal to me.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    I'd find boxing interesting, even kickboxing sometimes. But the 'ground and pound' stuff in MMA just makes it look like a legitimised street fight. Watching 2 lads kicking lumps out of each other like this, in a cage, doesn't really appeal to me.
    i'm a total novice....the ground stuff is only one aspect of it. To me it's a case of if you reach the top of your martial art discipline why not step in the octagon and see how you rate against other disciplines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Here is a fine example of a politician making a fool of herself.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/leftfield/senator-backtracks-on-call-to-ban-conor-mcgregors-dublin-title-fight-after-fan-outcry-30906827.html

Going to the media to ban something, and then going on radio to defend yourself without even knowing what it is!!

(Catherine has held her hand up after the interview to admit she was wrong, and will avail of all the offers of training and education she has been offered)

That website hurt my eyes... in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

anytime you see a fighter get the better of the other on the ground the fight is normally over within 10 seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

To me it's a case of if you reach the top of your martial art discipline why not step in the octagon and see how you rate against other disciplines

But that's not what it is. It's not people of a single discipline trading blows to see which discipline is better etc etc. It's just people brawling. If you want to watch various martial art disciplines sparring then you go to a martial art tournament.

But that's not what it is. It's not people of a single discipline trading blows to see which discipline is better etc etc. It's just people brawling. If you want to watch various martial art disciplines sparring then you go to a martial art tournament.
    that's not correct

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Hi Catherine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

The cage is to stop the fighters falling out and injuring themselves.

It's purely for safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

What a bizarrely apt second name she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭RayCon

SW wrote: »

Fcukin hell ... that's even more idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

She's a feckin Plank

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

She is on record , three times in, in the Senate, publicly congratulating Katie Taylor on her victories, twice referring to her as a hero.

That Senator is a sham and utter gob****e, and I whole heartedly regret voting to keep that talking shop in place. If it ever comes around again will vote to abolish it at the drop of a hat.

Wasn't even elected by the people if I'm not mistaken, so has really no mandate to be doing any of this. Mad little power trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair to her she said it was "ultra violent" and "gruesome injuries are all-too frequent"

She's not actually incorrect in that assessment :)

far more accurate than Fidelma and her "raped on facebook" claims

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

TheDoc wrote: »
    She is on record , three times in, in the Senate, publicly congratulating Katie Taylor on her victories, twice referring to her as a hero.

while I agree that this is a publicity stunt I do think there is a real difference between amateur boxing and the likes of UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

One of our "betters"....... and a lovely girl, Ted.
    Look at her lovely hair.

I await her discovery of GTA 3, then Vice city..........

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Seanad.
    You're going to have to elaborate on this one. Why is it "vile?" Is this your opinion of all combat sports, or do you view it differently to more established disciplines? And why is it a "so-called" sport? An athletic contest with well-defined rules testing the skill of two opponents sounds very much like a sport to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Post anything that expresses concern about the safety and sportsmanship of UFC/MMA and it tends to bring out the Online Outrage Crew in large numbers.

Many of them appear to be the sort that aren't exactly specimens of health and hand-eye coordination themselves. Picture lots of belly, neckbeard and heavy metal t-shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ground and pound isn't as common as it used to be because the fighters have gotten good at countering it. Most ground work is about jujitsu, limb locks. You can't actually generate much force in a punch when you're on the ground. The ground work is very much a chess match and has as much skill involved, if not more than the standing fighting.
    i'm a total novice....the ground stuff is only one aspect of it. To me it's a case of if you reach the top of your martial art discipline why not step in the octagon and see how you rate against other disciplines
    It's not one discipline vs another anymore. You have to be great at everything and know when to use one style over another. The boxing in MMA has to change to take into account the fact you can get kicked, the kicking has to take into account that you can be taken down. So just being good at one discipline isn't going to do a fighter any good. Even the disciplines have to change and adapt to the point they're not much like the discipline they started out as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Many of them appear to be the sort that aren't exactly specimens of health and hand-eye coordination themselves. Picture lots of belly, neckbeard and heavy metal t-shirts.

http://cdn2.independent.ie/irish-news/article30551306.ece/67bb1/ALTERNATES/h342/2014-09-01_iri_3191014_I2.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

She was the same senator that wanted the ban on ice cream vans too?

Advertisement