Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

FBD - Not Quoting Non-National License Holders

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,202 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's business. Nothing to do with national identity. That's what your passport grants you and NOBODY is suggesting that you should change your citizenship. It's a permit to drive and a means to record any offences you commit behind the wheel.

+1

Until we all have an identical EU license, this is the deal. If you refuse to convert your license to an Irish one, you are a higher risk according to the insurer's statistics, so you pay a higher premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Few points from me.

1. Insurers are private companies established to make profit, and they are using any excuse to rise someone's premium on imaginary risk assessment factors which has nothing to do with any risk. That's a fact, and unless Irish government decide to regulate it somehow, they'll keep doing it. Nearly all insurance companies customers in Ireland are being screwed one way or another. Every excuse is good for them.

2. My experience isn't actually to bad in relation to coming from other EU country. I moved permanently to Ireland from Poland around 2007/2008 and insurer I used then (Hibernian - currently Aviva) had no problem accepting my NCB from Poland. Indeed they charged me more because I had Polish licence, but when I swapped it for Irish one, they gave me discount for 0 penalty points (something they couldn't give me on Polish licence) so I was happy enough.

3. Problem of people who keep their foreign licences to avoid penalty points - well. I don't really understand why this problem exists in the first place. There's nothing stopping Irish authorities to issue Irish penalty points to foreign licence holders who are resident in Ireland. And there is nothing stopping Irish Government, from banning Irish residents on foreign licences who exceed 12 points in Ireland, same as they do with Irish licence holders. Why Irish government don't do it - I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Why should they take the risk and use the premium paid by Irish license holders to underwrite an undisclosed risk indicator?

Because we can forward a statement from the home state insurer (Actually Axa in this case) that indicates a clean record in all regards, yet the Irish insurers choose to ignore this. Does that not settle the argument against an undisclosed risk? Its fully disclosed and verifiable, should they wish to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

unkel wrote: »
    +1

Until we all have an identical EU license, this is the deal. If you refuse to convert your license to an Irish one, you are a higher risk according to the insurer's statistics, so you pay a higher premium.

I never paid a higher premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,202 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well then there's no need for you to change your license then to get a cheaper premium, is there :)

It seems most other people on this thread don't share your experience. Just guessing here but maybe you have a UK license and they have a continental / eastern european one?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Well then there's no need for you to change your license then to get a cheaper premium, is there :)

It seems most other people on this thread don't share your experience. Just guessing here but maybe you have a UK license and they have a continental / eastern european one?

Nope, Führerschein. Modell der Europáischen Geminschaft. It's German. It was valid indefinitely, but now I have just found out it will lapse in 2033. Not panicking yet.
    And I also found that as of 19 January 2013 the truly unified European driver's license has been in force, i.e. they're all the same.
    Of course this piece of news hasn't quite made it to Ireland yet, it seems, but insurance companies here would dig up statistics that most people involved in accidents wore socks and then charge you a premium for that.
    In other countries you get the feeling that insurance companies take all factors into account and then calculate the premium accordingly. Usually you get a bit of loading here and there or you might even be better off.
    In Ireland you get the feeling that they just pull an excuse out of their arse so they can load your license with something preposterous like 25 or 50%. It's just any excuse to gouge people.

ardmacha wrote: »
    The Spanish police have no business regulating what licence an Irish resident should hold, this would be far more outrageous than anything FBD are doing.

I wouldn't fancy living in Spain, they have some of the most outrageous regulations going. Bulldozing houses with planning permission on technicalities, heavily subsidizing solar and then taxing people for having it (with a fine of 2 million Euros for not hooking it up to the grid), the Spanish like to piss on EU regulations.

Advertisement