Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night clubs

Options
  • 13-01-2015 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

Are they totally 90's? Serious question. Don't drink out as much as I did in my younger years. Don't think I have been in one in the past decade. Plenty of late bars without the need for a frankly ridiculous €15-€20 entry fees you find in clubs. Mad as it was in my teens and early to mid twenties, it was common enough to pay for an hour maybe an 1.5 hours extra you got in the club. If you go to Dublin city at all late bars are open just as late without half the hassle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

Some are still 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think the late bar is killing off some nightclubs. Outside of that I guess I'm just getting too old to even consider a nightclub. I went out for new years in Galway and was in a busy pub/nightclub. It was absolutely wedged, you literally couldn't get from one side of the pub to the other without getting wedged in an archway with 20 other people all trying to go in opposite directions. I just couldn't understand what was fun about it. It was a waste of time and money being in this popular pub, I couldn't get a drink, I couldn't go out for a fag and I couldn't hear anything anyone was saying. It was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Most rural towns don't have a late bar so you've no choice but to go to the only nightclub in town where the clientele will be from 16 to 70. Fun times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

It's spelled "NiteClub" goddamnit!

BMJD wrote: »
    I'm not into this hip youngster text speak, I spell things properly. Or at least try too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I'm still a fan, try and go most weekends to our local one.
    I just love routine in my life : Mass,Pub, Nightclub, Chipper, Lift home.

When I was a young wan, I used to go to niteclubs to dance. That's probably why I never got hangovers. Now if I end up in a niteclub it's because I'm absolutely pissed and not ready to end the night and I will most certainly be drinking more when I get there.

I don't do that too often but of an occasion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

No they're not 'totally 90s'. You're just old.

I hate clubs though, haven't been in one for nearly 2 months. Give me a pub any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Last time I was at a nightclub was a few years back. They had helium balloons around the place and we got booted out for taking them and sucking out the helium and doing our best Darth Vader lines. "No disintegrations" in high pitched squeaky voice :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

brummytom wrote: »
    No they're not 'totally 90s'. You're just old.

I hate clubs though, haven't been in one for nearly 2 months. Give me a pub any day.

Two whole months? You big hermit :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

not in years- last time I was the price of drinks went up by 75c at midnight, that's 75c every drink vodka & coke e1.50. total rip off, can usually find a pub with a lock in in our town, stay out til 4 if I want but seldom do nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Overpriced and overhyped cattle markets, can't hear what anyone is trying to say...so even defeats the purpose of a cattle mart.
    Hope they die a death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Overpriced and overhyped cattle markets, can't hear what anyone is trying to say...so even defeats the purpose of a cattle mart.
    Hope they die a death.

Looks like someone never scored at the niteclub...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

BMJD wrote: »
    ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm not into this hip youngster text speak, I spell things properly. Or at least try too.

Are you sure you gents don't mean discotheque? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

irishejit wrote: »
    Are you sure you gents don't mean discotheque? :pac:

Or, Dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Meathlass wrote: »
    Most rural towns don't have a late bar so you've no choice but to go to the only nightclub in town where the clientele will be from 16 to 70. Fun times :(

So true, you never know what you'll meet in these small country town joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

What's killing nightclubs are the fees for special exemption orders at 410 for every single night they open and the surge in late bars which charge no entry fee but raise prices after a certain time.

I actually had to do an assignment in college on this exact thing. Essentially a nightclub that opens 361 nights a year, which is the maximum they can pays €148000 a year for that extension of hours... A late bar will be able to spread that cost over the whole day but a nightclub has 3 hours of sales time to work with a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

What's killing nightclubs are the fees for special exemption orders at 410 for every single night they open and the surge in late bars which charge no entry fee but raise prices after a certain time.

I actually had to do an assignment in college on this exact thing. Essentially a nightclub that opens 361 nights a year, which is the maximum they can pays €148000 a year for that extension of hours... A late bar will be able to spread that cost over the whole day but a nightclub has 3 hours of sales time to work with a night.

but the additional cost of the late bar should be made back from the additional hours it's opened for ?

Not being a late bar shouldn't impact their day time trade, I'd have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Not that I'm out much but late bars are great, they're like bars except later. Such a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

but the additional cost of the late bar should be made back from the additional hours it's opened for ?

Not being a late bar shouldn't impact their day time trade, I'd have thought

Depends on the night they are open really.... Bars that usually get exemptions are in general more expensive than bars which close at the normal operating hours. It's not always true, but it's a pretty well established thing.

That said the point was, a late bar can afford a slow night because the day trade will probably cover it somewhat. A nightclub with a slow night has made fcuk all,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

I think the late bar is killing off some nightclubs. Outside of that I guess I'm just getting too old to even consider a nightclub. I went out for new years in Galway and was in a busy pub/nightclub. It was absolutely wedged, you literally couldn't get from one side of the pub to the other without getting wedged in an archway with 20 other people all trying to go in opposite directions. I just couldn't understand what was fun about it. It was a waste of time and money being in this popular pub, I couldn't get a drink, I couldn't go out for a fag and I couldn't hear anything anyone was saying. It was horrible.

Pathetic! You call yourself The Zombie Survival Mod? Hand over your badge and leave the building. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

When I was young, you went to the pub at half eight, drank pints until you were fcuked out before midnight, went to the disco and had a feed of sausage and chips and another couple of pints and then a few halfs. Then you were fcuked out at ten past two, went home and got up and went to your work the next day.

Nowadays young wans drink a hape of pish in the house, go to the pub at half eleven, drink a couple of vodka and red bull or similar rubbish, got the nightclub when they are fcuked out at half one, drink a couple of jugs of pish or the naggin his in their pants, fcuked out at half three, buy a hape of crap kebabs and taco chips from the Indian, go home at getting up time and they are good for fcuk all the next day.

The Peanut wrote: »
    Pathetic! You call yourself The Zombie Survival Mod? Hand over your badge and leave the building. ;)
    A packed pub should be the last place you'd expect to find a zombie survival mod. Going into a built up highly populated area was already making my skin crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

To be fair, that's New Years for you. Even the most hardened clubbers I know swap nightclubs for house parties on New Years because of the well known mayhem and unpleasantness of actually going out on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

A packed pub should be the last place you'd expect to find a zombie survival mod. Going into a built up highly populated area was already making my skin crawl.

A friend of mine has a taxi. He calls 2-4am on Sat night/Sun morning as zombie time after the patrons fall out from the local club. Must be a mad sight for a sober person.

You want to go to the Vatican on a Sunday morning. It's class. You get this little skip of excitement in your tummy of how deadly it would be if it happened right there right now.

You'd be fcuked like, but it's still a fun thought :D

To be fair, that's New Years for you. Even the most hardened clubbers I know swap nightclubs for house parties on New Years because of the well known mayhem and unpleasantness of actually going out on it.
    Any pub with a lot of people and in it annoys me now.

You want to go to the Vatican on a Sunday morning.
    It's back into the concrete bunker in the back garden till next year for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ah now - Niteclub is a 90s spelling definitely. It pre-dates txtspk by a decade at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Are they totally 90's? Serious question

Like totally!!!!!

Advertisement