Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why "everything" prices end in .99?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

evo2000 wrote: »
    You d have to be as thick as the wall for that to work infairness...

Never underestimate the amount of stupid people there are in society.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    Why is everything priced 9.99, 19.99, or 99.99? More specifically, why do all those prices end in .99? Why not just be honest and price them at 1, 10, and 100?
    Fuel prices are just ridiculous with those extra .99 cent from cent e.g. €1.19.(99)

It was designed to get the penny into circulation and it stayed as a marketing tool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

jimmii wrote: »
    You seem like the crazy rebel type who doesn't play by the rules.

I dont f*ck about! hashtag yolo hashtag Thuglife! Hashtag The hash key is broken on my keyboard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

diomed wrote: »
    It's from the song 1999
    "tonight I'm gonna party like it's €19.99"

Prince wrote that while doing the weekly shop at Aldi, fascinating how these things happen. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

They should just introduce a 99 cent coin.

Life would be so much easier and stress free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,244 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its subconscious and it works on practically everyone.

Our brain likes to put things into categories.

The reason why all petrol stations have their prices ending in .9 is because if you're driving down a street and one garage has petrol at 129.9, and the other has petrol at 1.30, your brain will hugely overestimate how much cheaper the 129.9 garage is, because the other one has jumped into a higher category of prices.

When we're carefully evaluating the prices of things, we can overcome this bias, but you'd be very surprised how much of an effect it has even on big purchases that we put a lot of thought into.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,244 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

efb wrote: »
    This corner unit is now THREE NINE NINE!!!
    this grinds my gears its three hundred and ninety nine!!!

That's another marketing trick. the word 'hundred' is associated in our brain as a large number, so to make the corner unit seem cheaper, they say each small number individually. Along with the word 'only' this associates the price in our minds with something that is cheap and a bargain.

Devious b*stards those marketing types

• Registered Users Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    I've heard millions are made per year in retail from people not bothering to take their 1 penny change. If you think about it, how many times do you leave a shop after purchasing something for x.99, and not bothered taking the change? I know I've done it countless times.

Regardless of the mathmatics of this, surely it forgets that if the store was to round that .99c up to a euro then it would be getting that penny anyway, without having to rely on the customer not taking the change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

MadsL wrote: »

It will be interesting to see the outcome of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Of course, but we (humans) are programmed to put more weight on the first digits than the ones after the decimal when doing a rough calculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

No it doesn't.

Mr argument over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

MadsL wrote: »
    Waterford appear to have solved that and banned 1c and 2c coins.

I will think you'll find it was Wexford and it was only a trial and it was optional, not a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

blackwave wrote: »
    That was a trial by the Central Bank, to gauge consumer reaction to getting rid of 1c & 2c coins. A lot of EU countries actually have gotten rid of 1c & 2c coins as they cost more to mint than they are worth and are rarely used by anyone.

Greece never brought the 1cent in to circulation and look what happened to them.

Look after the pennies and....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Akrasia wrote: »
    That's another marketing trick. the word 'hundred' is associated in our brain as a large number, so to make the corner unit seem cheaper, they say each small number individually. Along with the word 'only' this associates the price in our minds with something that is cheap and a bargain.

Devious b*stards those marketing types

The biggest culprit is "from".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Greece never brought the 1cent in to circulation and look what happened to them.

Look after the pennies and....

That's not why Greece went bust.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

thelad95 wrote: »

Of course it is. They're penniless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

thelad95 wrote: »

You do know what a joke is don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well that song 99 red balloons doesn't sound the same saying 100