Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why "everything" prices end in .99?

Options
  • 11-01-2015 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Why is everything priced 9.99, 19.99, or 99.99? More specifically, why do all those prices end in .99? Why not just be honest and price them at 1, 10, and 100?
    Fuel prices are just ridiculous with those extra .99 cent from cent e.g. €1.19.(99)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

It's simple consumer psychology really. 99 sounds better value than 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Waterford appear to have solved that and banned 1c and 2c coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

I work for a grocery chain and from customer feedback the policy now is to use rounded figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

MadsL wrote: »
    Waterford appear to have solved that and banned 1c and 2c coins.

Did they now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

€11.99? I'll take it.

Sorry there's been a mistake it's actually €12. Feck that, I'm not made of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I've heard millions are made per year in retail from people not bothering to take their 1 penny change. If you think about it, how many times do you leave a shop after purchasing something for x.99, and not bothered taking the change? I know I've done it countless times.

That, plus advertising something as €199.99 just makes it seem more affordable than advertising something as €200. It's marketing 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

No it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    I've heard millions are made per year in retail from people not bothering to take their 1 penny change. If you think about it, how many times do you leave a shop after purchasing something for x.99, and not bothered taking the change? I know I've done it countless times.

That, plus advertising something as €199.99 just makes it seem more affordable than advertising something as €200. It's marketing 101.

I doubt that. To make 1 million this would have to be done 100 million times. So Ireland would need to sell 100 million things at .99 and hope no one wants their change back.

Everyone in Ireland would have to do this 22 times a year. That's just to make 1 million of just penny change
    /pedantic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

No it doesn't.

Well, if you say so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

No it doesn't.

99 is literally better value than 100

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭worded

I heard some of the reason was to stop workers at the tills pocketing the 10 rather the customer waits for their 1 cent change from the 9.99. it keeps the teller honest. No one thinks of this.

It's bull**** the amount of things priced to .99 particularly at my local fruit and veg shop. What's wrong with 1.19 or 1.29 or 1.39 for items. Why does everything have to end in .99 ?
    I just don't shop there anymore I'm sol pissed off with it

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I doubt that. To make 1 million this would have to be done 100 million times. So Ireland would need to sell 100 million things at .99 and hope no one wants their change back.

Everyone in Ireland would have to do this 22 times a year. That's just to make 1 million of just penny change
    /pedantic

Well you very well may be right, it could be B.S., its just something I've heard, but when I said millions, I wasn't talking about just Ireland, I was talking on a global scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

MadsL wrote: »

That was a trial by the Central Bank, to gauge consumer reaction to getting rid of 1c & 2c coins. A lot of EU countries actually have gotten rid of 1c & 2c coins as they cost more to mint than they are worth and are rarely used by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Keeps the pennies/cents in circulation. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

worded wrote: »
    I heard some of the reason was to stop workers at the tills pocketing the 10 rather the customer waits for their 1 cent change from the 9.99. it keeps the teller honest. No one thinks of this.

It's bull**** the amount of things priced to .99 particularly at my local fruit and veg shop. What's wrong with 1.19 or 1.29 or 1.39 for items. Why does everything have to end in .99 ?
    I just don't shop there anymore I'm sol pissed off with it

What? Most shops have more cameras on a till than the whole store. The last shop I worked in had 4 cameras on the single till. No cashier is going to risk their job for a few cents a day.

If you buy several items the .01 evens out. Having worked in a shop. Very few transactions ended in .01 change

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭eug87

Makes cents.............leaves jacket,runs for the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,244 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If you hear something is 1.99, your brain puts it in the 1 euro bracket along with everything else priced between 1 euro and 2 euros. If I see a packet of biscuits for 1.10, it's in the same mental category as biscuits that cost 1.99. (when on autopilot)

It's commonly used because it is ridiculously effective.

hfallada wrote: »
    What? Most shops have more cameras on a till than the whole store. The last shop I worked in had 4 cameras on the single till. No cashier is going to risk their job for a few cents a day.

If you buy several items the .01 evens out. Having worked in a shop. Very few transactions ended in .01 change

The .99 cent ending has been there for years pre camera and scanners even.
    I heard this directly from a shop owner years ago. The primary reason was to stop theft by the cashier.

I'm taking about the cashier cancelling the same of a 10 pound sale and keeping all of it not them keeping the 1 cent of a 9.99 scenario.

The customer standing there expecting change keeps the cashier honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

In my mums day they used to get paid a penny a day at work. She's old now but psychologically a penny is a lot of money to her so a penny less is a big saving.

I just made that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Can anyone give a reasonable explanation as to why petrol/diesel prices always end in .9
    Has always bugged the **** out of me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

You d have to be as thick as the wall for that to work infairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

eug87 wrote: »
    Makes cents.............leaves jacket,runs for the hills.

I wasn't gonna thank it but then...I felt generous ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Can anyone give a reasonable explanation as to why petrol/diesel prices always end in .9
    Has always bugged the **** out of me

It's all physiological, makes the consumer think it's closer to 1 than 2 (or 9 then 10 etc).
    Its really simple reasoning and it is proven time and time again to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This corner unit is now THREE NINE NINE!!!
    this grinds my gears its three hundred and ninety nine!!!

I'm refusing to buy anything that ends in .99 from now on.
    Who's with me on this? Even 99%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

worded wrote: »
    I'm refusing to buy anything that ends in .99 from now on.
    Who's with me on this? Even 99%

i give em the euro and tell em keep the change just to spite it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Juwwi

evo2000 wrote: »

Why do you leave out the " ya filthy animal " bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

It's from the song 1999
    "tonight I'm gonna party like it's €19.99"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

evo2000 wrote: »

You seem like the crazy rebel type who doesn't play by the rules.

Advertisement