Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

J C wrote: »
    Any God.

You are a Christian are you not ? So how do you prove the non existence of Allah ?

katydid wrote: »
    I don't understand what your question has to do with the idea that "irreligion depends on faith (in the non-existence of God). Does it matter what god you don't believe in if you don't believe in god?

(This discussion is getting surreal)

That is the very point I was making when I said the question was meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

marienbad wrote: »
    You are a Christian are you not ? So how do you prove the non existence of Allah ?
    ... you can't prove his non-existence ... so you can only be irreligious through faith ... just like you can only be religious through faith as well.

That is my point ... and katydid's point

... you can't prove his non-existence ... so you can only be irreligious through faith ... just like you can only be religious through faith as well.

That is my point ... and katydid's point

I don't need to prove his non existence , the burden is on you to prove his existence . Were it otherwise you would spend most of your time proving the non existence of Allah,Yahweh,and all the other deities throughout history a well as all the other rubbish such as unicorns, FSM, teapots etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I don't need to prove his non existence , the burden is on you to prove his existence . Were it otherwise you would spend most of your time proving the non existence of Allah,Yahweh,and all the other deities throughout history a well as all the other rubbish such as unicorns, FSM, teapots etc

Why is the burden on anyone, when everyone knows it can't be proved and no one is attempting to prove it?

Very bizarre.

• Advertisement

Why would you want to? Allah is God, God is Allah, Jehovah, Yahweh, or whatever you're having yourself.

That is the very point I was making when I said the question was meaningless.

But it's not meaningless. I'm asking why YOU think it's meaningless.

What katydid...
    Why would you want to? Allah is God, God is Allah, Jehovah, Yahweh, or whatever you're having yourself.

... and what katydid next!!!

Sorry Katydid ... please forgive me, but I've had the urge to do this for a long time!!!:)

Very good and succinct posts BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TiMe2PaRtYYYYY

you can not intellectualize a fairytale...... all religions are a fairytale

I would remind you that JC kicked off this side bar by saying that atheism is an act of faith , and you replied True . And then I said not true - meaningless

Just as you don't believe in unicorns or Santa or the tooth fairy , Allah, Zeus , Jupiter etc, neither do I ,plus one more -your God

• Advertisement

you can not intellectualize a fairytale...... all religions are a fairytale
    ,,, only in so far as all materialistic explanations for the ultimates of existence are fairytales as well.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I don't understand what your question has to do with the idea that "irreligion depends on faith (in the non-existence of God). Does it matter what god you don't believe in if you don't believe in god?

(This discussion is getting surreal)

Do you believe in unicorns? If the answer is no would you call that a faith? Is it in any way equal to your belief in god?

Always seems strange when a religious person unwittingly diminishes their own religion by equating it with a lack of faith.

there are only two things worth knowing in this life and that is.... love is the only thing that matters and that death is a passage....

I would remind you that JC kicked off this side bar by saying that atheism is an act of faith , and you replied True . And then I said not true - meaningless

Just as you don't believe in unicorns or Santa or the tooth fairy , Allah, Zeus , Jupiter etc, neither do I ,plus one more -your God
    ... the key word in your post is 'believe' (which is a faith-based phenomenon) ... and you have confirmed that you don't believe in any god ... which is also a proclaimation of faith, on your part.

Why do you have such difficulty accepting that you are a 'believer' ... just like the rest of us?

Do you believe in unicorns? If the answer is no would you call that a faith? Is it in any way equal to your belief in god?

Always seems strange when a religious person unwittingly diminishes their own religion by equating it with a lack of faith.

Or when someone makes an assumption like that and states it as fact...

What katydid...

... and what katydid next!!!

Sorry Katydid ... please forgive me, but I've had the urge to do this for a long time!!!:)

Very good and succinct posts BTW.

Someone was bound to do it eventually :pac:

,,, only in so far as all materialistic explanations for the ultimates of existence are fairytales as well.:)

jc you remind me of a water sprinkler all water but no substance behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Or when someone makes an assumption like that and states it as fact...
    I'm sorry if I phrased that wrong, certainly didn't mean it harshly. What assumption did I make? I'm just asking if you think your faith in god is equatable with someone's non-faith in unicorns?

there are only two things worth knowing in this life and that is.... love is the only thing that matters and that death is a passage....
    ... I can think of a few other things that matter, besides love (which means radically different things to different people anyway).

... but the existence of true love is indicative of a loving God who is the author of love, in the first place.

... the key word in your post is 'believe' (which is a faith-based phenomenon) ... and you have confirmed that you don't believe in any god ... which is also a proclaimation of faith, on your part.

Why do you have such difficulty accepting that you are a 'believer' ... just like the rest of us?

Not so , or at least in the sense you mean it . I believe in the non existence of god and unicorns based on the best information available to me .

You on the other hand believe in the existence of God ( but not unicorns) despite the best information available to you .

• Advertisement

... I can think of a few other things that matter, besides love (which means radically different things to different people anyway).

... but the existence of true love is indicative of a loving God who is the author of love, in the first place.

love is an energy not associated with a god as you think jc

I'm sorry if I phrased that wrong, certainly didn't mean it harshly. What assumption did I make? I'm just asking if you think your faith in god is equatable with someone's non-faith in unicorns?

You didn't phrase it wrong or harshly. Just strangely. You are assuming that someone like me is unwittingly diminishing their own religion by equating it with a lack of faith; which is fine. But it's only your opinion.

Faith or non-faith are the same thing on a level of logic and rationality. Belief or faith doesn't operate on that level.

jc you remind me of a water sprinkler all water but no substance behind it
    ... or another way of looking at, is that I'm supply the very essence of life to you on the Boards.ie !!!;):pac:
    ... and I haven't started metering or charging for it ... yet!!! :D

... or another way of looking at, is that I'm supply the very essence of life to you on the Boards.ie !!!;):pac:
    ... and i haven't started metering or charging for it ... yet!!! :D

jc no need to get upset.....just live and learn before thinking you are right

Not so , or at least in the sense you mean it . I believe in the non existence of god and unicorns based on the best information available to me .

You on the other hand believe in the existence of God ( but not unicorns) despite the best information available to you .
    ... I actually believe in the existence of God, based on the best information available.

... so that makes our respective beliefs in the existence/non-existence of God on an equal (faith-based) footing.:)

... I actually believe in the existence of God, based on the best information available.

... so that makes our respective beliefs in the existence/non-existence of God on an equal (faith-based) footing.:)

No mine is an evidence (or lack of) based position, that is open to change as new information is provided .Yours is not open to change no matter what information is provided .

jc no need to get upset.....just live and learn before thinking you are right
    I'm not in the least upset ... did you not see my smileys ... I took you joke in good spirits!!!!

Everybody thinks they are 'right' about their beliefs ... otherwise they would cease to hold them.
    I've lived many 'lives' ... and I've learned a lot ... and I continue to learn new things every day.

In my case I used to believe in all the materialistic ideas, that you seem to believe in ... and then I found Jesus Christ ... and my beliefs started to change.

It happens !!!

No mine is an evidence (or lack of) based position, that is open to change as new information is provided .Yours is not open to change no matter what information is provided .
    My beliefs in God are also evidence based ... and open to change as new information is provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

In my living room there is a TV.

There are many channels I could watch.

I may choose a channel based on what I like to see, my mood, the things that people recommend, etc, etc.

OR I could switch the TV off.

You appear to be arguing that if I do not feel like watching any channels on TV and switch it off... I am still watching something?

Tell me, how does one watch nothing?

So, how does one "believe" in nothing?

Surely for belief to exist there must first be something to believe IN?

If I believe in nothing how could argue that I actually believe in something?

Are you saying that nothing is actually something?

• Advertisement

I'm not in the least upset ... did you not see my smileys ... I took you joke in good spirits!!!!

Everybody thinks they are 'right' about their beliefs ... otherwise they would cease to hold them.

In my case I used to believe in all the materialistic ideas, that you seem to believe in ... and then I found Jesus Christ ... and my beliefs started to change.

It happens !!!

materialistic ??? what post that i sent said i was materialistic.... no disrespect jc you need to get your water sprinkler checked.... stick to the debate jc

Advertisement