Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrorists to attack ireland!?

Options
  • 11-01-2015 3:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/paris-jihad-attacks-could-hit-4957807

Paper fear mongering or do you think it holds any weight?

After reading the article it annoys me that there are known terrorists holding irish passports 40 of them, the fact that you cant come to ireland via Ferry unchecked is another thing...

If whats said in the article is true ireland is ****ing pathetic, we know there are extremists holding irish passports and we do nothing about it, we know there are extremists in the country and do nothing about, if this is true we are a tragedy waiting to happen and it will be 100% our own fault for not having the balls to do something about it first!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Extremists with Irish passports? The IRA?

Too soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Oh The Daily Mirror must have moved on from their million articles about GIANT KILLING DEATH SPIDERS...

Rag of a paper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

evo2000 wrote: »
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/paris-jihad-attacks-could-hit-4957807

Paper fear mongering or do you think it holds any weight?

After reading the article it annoys me that there are known terrorists holding irish passports 40 of them, the fact that you cant come to ireland via Ferry unchecked is another thing...

If whats said in the article is true ireland is ****ing pathetic, we know there are extremists holding irish passports and we do nothing about it, we know there are extremists in the country and do nothing about, if this is true we are a tragedy waiting to happen and it will be 100% our own fault for not having the balls to do something about it first!

How do you know we're not doing anything about it?
    Are you privvy to Dept of Defence intelligence.

So a few known terrorists hold Irish passports. So bloody what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

glued wrote: »
    Rag of a paper.
    I see that a woman had a penis tattooed onto her shoulder.

How did the Irish Times let that scoop pass them by? I expect Tintin O'Foole's resignation by the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

glued wrote: »
    Oh The Daily Mirror must have moved on from their million articles about GIANT KILLING DEATH SPIDERS...

Rag of a paper.

It's a rag of a paper but the thrust of the article (that we do aid the American military in Shannon and that we're relatively vulnerable in terms of security resources ) is hardly hyperbolic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The Mirror is a despicable excuse for a newspaper.

And there are a hell of a lot more than 40 terrorist Irish passport holders, but that's beside the point.

Scaremongering hyperbolic bollocks, as is nearly every other thread here these days. Some of ye need to grow up big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

They published an article like this yesterday. Clearly it didn't scaremonger enough so they are back with another.
    Remember that the extremists aren't the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

And there are a hell of a lot more than 40 terrorist Irish passport holders

Most of them sit in parliament, local authorities or are 'community activists' now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

The indo are at it as well. "A source said" is the usual translation for "we made that bit up ourselves, see".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Anyone else seeing a bit of a theme popping up in AH?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

They also have "Video: Watch Bill Gates drink a glass of purified poo".

I'm beginning to wonder if Western civilisation is worth saving.

anncoates wrote: »
    Most of them sit in parliament, local authorities or are 'community activists' now though.
    Yeah, and arguably waging more destruction than they ever did.

I suppose it's maybe a bit harsh blaming the papers in fairness, the stupid cnuts that believe the crap they write are as much to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

unless they have plans to turn irish women into undead incubators, I think we have bigger problems

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

They also have "Video: Watch Bill Gates drink a glass of purified poo".

Just giving the people what they want.

unless they have plans to turn irish women into undead incubators, I think we have bigger problems
    Congratulations, you've just made yourself the next 'expert source' for the Mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

They are using Ireland to host terrorists until they can get transition to Syria because we are not as active as other EU countries in tackling them.
    They are not going to rock the boat here as long as they have benefit.
    But if we start publishing cartoons as some people here would like to see then maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Congratulations, you've just made yourself the next 'expert source' for the Mirror.

I could use the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Although I do believe security measures here are in need of reform. Firstly I wouldn't get too hyped up about what you read in The Mirror of all papers and secondly I most definitely would not be looking for Tom Clonans input.

Do we need to realise that a threat exists, I believe most definitely but let's not blow things out of proportion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

How do you know we're not doing anything about it?

So a few known terrorists hold Irish passports. So bloody what?

How do you know we are doing something about it?

A few known terrorists hold irish passports so what... i dunno maybe take em off them since there known nutcases?? id rather ireland be proactive rather than reactive,

Can you stick to the topic and stop attacking/ trying to get one over on me thanks.

Although I do believe security measures here are in need of reform. Firstly I wouldn't get too hyped up about what you read in The Mirror of all papers and secondly I most definitely would not be looking for Tom Clonans input.

Do we need to realise that a threat exists, I believe most definitely but let's not blow things out of proportion.

I get what your sayin alright, id just rather ireland take a tougher stance on **** like this and stop relying on the whole "Oh were neutral" craic as a shield, i doubt we ll be attacked but if we were shannon airport would be a very soft target for say a paris type incident.

• Advertisement

How do you know we are doing something about it?

A few known terrorists hold irish passports so what... i dunno maybe take em off them since there known nutcases?? id rather ireland be proactive rather than reactive,

Can you stick to the topic and stop attacking/ trying to get one over on me thanks.

First of all, when it comes to being proactive about terrorism, vigilance starts with the individual, not their government. Blaming governments and pontificating is easy.

As for taking passports off people simply because they are 'known nutcases' - really? Who decides they are nutcases? Should we introduce a form of internment for Irish citizens?

I've said a number of times that Ireland is likely to be attacked at some stage. But when it happens, I don't think the government will entirely to blame (easy as that would be).

And no, of course I'm not privvy to Dept of Def intelligence. But I'm not the one creating finger wagging threads based on sensationalist articles in the tabloids.

First of all, when it comes to being proactive about terrorism, vigilance starts with the individual, not their government. Blaming governments and pontificating is easy.

As for taking passports off people simply because they are 'known nutcases' - really? Who decides they are nutcases? Should we introduce a form of internment for Irish citizens?

I've said a number of times that Ireland is likely to be attacked at some stage. But when it happens, I don't think the government will entirely to blame (easy as that would be).

And no, of course I'm not privvy to Dept of Def intelligence. But I'm not the one creating finger wagging threads based on sensationalist articles in the tabloids.

Dont cry man its just a thread if you dont like it feel free to leave or refrain from commenting if you cant stay on the subject rather than attacking the poster id suggest you do the latter

Yes we should introduce a form of internment for Irish citizens that are known terrorist currently traveling to join the likes of isis and the likes...would you have a problem with this? i certainly wouldnt!

Better yet take there passports and boot em out of the country! we should have zero tolerance for people like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

It's the duty of the state to protect the citizens of the state and their rights - this includes freedom of expression, conviction and religious beliefs. Just because individuals who hold Irish passports are on terrorist watch lists does not provide justification to detain or arrest these individuals. Simply being a Linux enthusiast can land one on an NSA watch list in some cases.

Secondly, to be quite frank, this is not our fight. We do not engage in conflicts in the Middle East outside of our duties as UN peace-keepers. We do not have an oppressed or stereotyped Muslim population (to my knowledge, feel free to contradict me with your own experiences) to feel disenfranchised with the state. At every turn our envoys and figureheads - especially our recent presidents - preach a message of tolerance and solidarity through cultural and religious divides.

I say let them come. We are not, nor have we ever been, aggressors or oppressors of Muslims and in the face of those who would have us hate the Islamic population - for this is the ultimate goal of these terrorists, to create a disenfranchised and oppressed Muslim community from which they can recruit - we can only respond with tolerance and solidarity. Not because it is easy - the easiest thing to do would be to drive them all out, and let someone else deal with the problem - but because hate and fear will only serve to create more hate and fear. After all, is that not the ultimate point of satire? It's hard to be hateful and afraid when you're laughing.

Dont cry man its just a thread if you dont like it feel free to leave or refrain from commenting if you cant stay on the subject rather than attacking the poster id suggest you do the latter

Yes we should introduce a form of internment for Irish citizens that are known terrorist currently traveling to join the likes of isis and the likes...would you have a problem with this? i certainly wouldnt!

Better yet take there passports and boot em out of the country! we should have zero tolerance for people like that!

The only thing I'm crying in is laughter at your blissful ignorance and farcical solutions in the face of such a topic.

Yes, I'll refrain from commenting on your insights from here on. Not because you want me to. But because I don't think you actually have the faintest idea what you're on about. And don't confuse that with me attacking the poster, it's a simple fact. You're talking gibberish.

Before I go, I leave you with one little question. How do you suggest we go about confiscating passports from Irish citizens and then 'boot' those Irish citizens out of Ireland? Their own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Mena wrote: »

Too soon?

No. About 10 years too late.

The only thing I'm crying in is laughter at your blissful ignorance and farcical solutions in the face of such a topic.

Yes, I'll refrain from commenting on your insights from here on. Not because you want me to. But because I don't think you actually have the faintest idea what you're on about. And don't confuse that with me attacking the poster, it's a simple fact. You're talking gibberish.

Before I go, I leave you with one little question. How do you suggest we go about confiscating passports from Irish citizens and then 'boot' those Irish citizens out of Ireland? Their own country.

Atleast im offering solutions all ur doing is sitting there criticizing and talking pure naive waffle, whats your solutions? let me guess state pension packages and a pat on the back for all terrorists/extremists coming back from Syria and the likes, and of course we should follow the rules to a tee with these people, because they do the same oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I can just imagine Mrs Galway peaking out the window every 5 minutes
    watching "the muslems" - what the feck are the up too.

The gardai would be in undated with gossip.

Its a disgrace Joe - they don't go to mass on a Sunday or a Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Mena wrote: »

Too soon?

How were the IRA extremists?, i think you need to get a history book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

They are using Ireland to host terrorists until they can get transition to Syria because we are not as active as other EU countries in tackling them.
    They are not going to rock the boat here as long as they have benefit.
    But if we start publishing cartoons as some people here would like to see then maybe.

So in effect little difference to the us military using shannon as a stop point on route to Iraq???
    Only they are on the opposite sides of the war?

Though I could understand (not agree with)...if them Islamists attacked us warplanes in Shannon....though would this create an awlful ****storm if the us were to return fire on Irish soil??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The article seems to hint more towards Ireland being used as a jump off point for entry to Europe.

Then again, you never know. The world seems to be a crazy enough place where just about anything can happen anywhere

Advertisement