Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkey See,Monkey Do.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Clermont1098

Also, researchers have identified 29 different sounds made by rats but have yet to identify their meaning.

Rats! There's always rats! Nidge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

kneemos wrote: »
    Anybody know what the point is of teaching monkeys to copy human behaviour by basically teaching them tricks and putting it across as important research.

They're probably the lucky ones considering what's done to some of them for medical research,but it always struck me as totally pointless.What exactly do we find out other than monkeys are reasonably smart?
    We share the same evolutionary path and our dna is mostly similar, so by studying them we might learn about how our own behaviour and cognitive ability developed and works

By monkeys I assume ye mean apes.

Being our closet DNA relative means we share a lot of behaviours and brain functions. Chimps have shown very human traits and tests revolve around things like do they feel the same sense of fairness, can they read maps and understand symbolism. Basically what functions do they or don't they have compared to us. This allows us to better understand how and when we picked up some of our more unique and advanced brain functions.

It can be a pretty disgusting line of research, at times it seems as bad as experimenting on people, but today's research is a bit more human and more focused on behaviour than cutting them up and transplanting their heads onto other bodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Rats! There's always rats! Nidge.

All i want from this research in how to say...

'Fcuk off you dirty bloody rats before i have to beat you to death...' in Rat.

I HATE rats.

*shivers*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The tale of the 5 monkeys in a cage with a banana and a ladder can be used to explain the typical Irish working attitude of "but that's the way we've always done things here"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

OP, what experiments in particular are you talking about? Got a link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kneemos wrote: »
    They're not communicating with them,they have trained responses into them.
    You could say the same about humans...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

seamus wrote: »
    You could say the same about humans...

Uh uh.

Advertisement