Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkey See,Monkey Do.

Options
  • 11-01-2015 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody know what the point is of teaching monkeys to copy human behaviour by basically teaching them tricks and putting it across as important research.

They're probably the lucky ones considering what's done to some of them for medical research,but it always struck me as totally pointless.What exactly do we find out other than monkeys are reasonably smart?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Future Cheap labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If they're not showing human tasks, how will they ever become moderators?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

"Laugh now but one day we'll be in charge!"

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rafDmwhBL._SY300_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

kneemos wrote: »
    Anybody know what the point is of teaching monkeys to copy human behaviour by basically teaching them tricks and putting it across as important research.

They're probably the lucky ones considering what's done to some of them for medical research,but it always struck me as totally pointless.What exactly do we find out other than monkeys are reasonably smart?

"I thought love was only true in fairytales.........." , is the singing monkey's you are talking about ? "Then I saw her FACE. ,ohhhhhhh ahhhhhhhh, now Im a believer".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I had a tamed macaque sitting on my lap when I went to an open park in Thailand. He felt my hair and rubbed my facial features and tugged my ear to the point that it hurt, he got a bit feisty when I tried to remove his hand from my ear and the handler picked him up.

Felt sorry for the little guy, his job was to put up with arsehole patrons who wanted to take pictures with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I dont really get this human need to make animals more like us.

Dressing dogs up for eg. I mean what the fck is going thru your mind as you put a little coat and pair of boots on Fido before taking him to the park....in a pram?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,069 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

We share the same evolutionary path and our dna is mostly similar, so by studying them we might learn about how our own behaviour and cognitive ability developed and works

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

We share the same evolutionary path and our dna is mostly similar, so by studying them we might learn about how our own behaviour and cognitive ability developed and works

Yeeeah.Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

OP have you not seen Planet of the Apes? Scientists want to know if that could really happen so they conduct all
    these tests and experiments.

What about Dolphins.
    They spend God knows how much time and money studying Dolphin sounds,for the life of me I can't see a point to it.
    What purpise does it serve if we understand what Dolphins are saying anymore than say what Squirrel's are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,069 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Yeeeah.Really?

nope :( it's probably more just to see them do funny stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

Felt sorry for the little guy, his job was to put up with arsehole patrons who wanted to take pictures with him.

Weren't you just another arsehole patron?

Or was there something special about your time with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What about Dolphins.
    They spend God knows how much time and money studying Dolphin sounds,for the life of me I can't see a point to it.
    What purpise does it serve if we understand what Dolphins are saying anymore than say what Squirrel's are saying.
    Yeah but you cant train dolphins to act as butlers, to wear little suits, smoke cigars or ride unicycles

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

They can get jobs in the public service covering the sick leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

They can get jobs in the public service covering the sick leave.

(Insert joke about them out performing those on sick leave)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It was believed for a long time that there was a clear delineation between humans and other animals and that intelligence was that clear line.

However it's become obvious that there is very little between humans and the rest of the animal kingdom so the study of intelligence and the nature of intelligence helps us understand where we came from, how and why we have consciousness and ultimately can help us to understand the nature of what we call existence.

There is no longer any agreement that we possess anything which other animals don't. We cannot prove that monkeys do not have consciousness like we have, so investigating the nature of their intelligence can teach us how they think but also how we think.

seamus wrote: »
    It was believed for a long time that there was a clear delineation between humans and other animals and that intelligence was that clear line.

However it's become obvious that there is very little between humans and the rest of the animal kingdom so the study of intelligence and the nature of intelligence helps us understand where we came from, how and why we have consciousness and ultimately can help us to understand the nature of what we call existence.

There is no longer any agreement that we possess anything which other animals don't. We cannot prove that monkeys do not have consciousness like we have, so investigating the nature of their intelligence can teach us how they think but also how we think.

Study them in their natural environment then . I'm not convinced teaching them tricks achieves anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

What purpise does it serve if we understand what Dolphins are saying.

Think you mean 'what porpoise does it serve'...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Clermont1098

It's slow this morning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Why do we teach little children to talk? Why do we teach mute and deaf people sign language? Why do we teach people to speak and understand other languages?

I thought it was really obvious - to allow communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Study them in their natural environment then . I'm not convinced teaching them tricks achieves anything.

What 'tricks' do you think scientists are teaching monkeys? Scientists aren't the ones teaching monkeys to ride unicycles and smoke cigars.

What 'tricks' do you think scientists are teaching monkeys? Scientists aren't the ones teaching monkeys to ride unicycles and smoke cigars.

Push buttons in sequence for a reward and similar such nonsense.

Push buttons in sequence for a reward and similar such nonsense.

You seem to be confusing Skinner's 1970s experiments with pigeons with modern-day attempts at communicating with other species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I have seen Planet of the Apes. This does not end well for us humans.

Shenshen wrote: »
    You seem to be confusing Skinner's 1970s experiments with pigeons with modern-day attempts at communicating with other species.

They're not communicating with them,they have trained responses into them.

They're not communicating with them,they have trained responses into them.

Well, the scientists communicating with them believe that communication is happening, so by your definitions from the atheism-thread, that means those communications are real.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Well, the scientists communicating with them believe that communication is happening, so by your definitions from the atheism-thread, that means those communications are real.

Had to take a nap after proving the existence of God.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

From todays Sunday Times.

Gibbons use loud sound in distinctive patterns to warn others of danger.

'waoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo' translates as 'move away from any low slung branches as there's likely to be a snake lurking there'.
    'waoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-wa-wa' is a warning that a leopard has been spotted.

Also, researchers have identified 29 different sounds made by rats but have yet to identify their meaning.

Without studying them in controlled conditions and exposure to different stimuli there would be little knowledge of their systems of communications and their study in captive and wild environments is leading us to better understanding of the evolution of language skills in early human ancestors.

There is also work being done on the sounds of whales, dolphins, bats and sondbirds.

While i don't agree with the training of animals to do tricks, i can appreciate the knowledge gained from that in fostering a better understanding of animals in the wild.

Advertisement