Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever went away to 'get away from it all'?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Personally, I'd love to be in your position op, I'd love to have the freedom heading off to a warmer climate for a month. Family, mortgage and work commitments will keep me in Ireland though.

Anyway, personally if it was me, I'd probably come back heavier than I was when I headed away.

One months free gaff in Espana with no fear of anyone pestering me?

That'd mean = one month of me living on a diet of lays paprika, lovely Spanish bread and butter, and bottles and bottles of good Spanish wine (at about €2 a go why not?)

I'd be sauntering about that villa all day, prob in a pair of yfronts, and a wine stained vest rarely bothering my hole getting dressed.

Ah, it'd be bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭poeticjustice

I've been looking into the exact same thing myself OP. Been talking of doing it for years but now I may actually get the opportunity.

I was considering Thailand and maybe doing Muay Thai for a few months, or just a fitness camp. Never done it before but no one knows me over there and i'm thinking of just saying screw it and going for it. I'll get fit, learn a new skill and get away from it all. They take beginners of all fitness levels and it's cheap enough too. Nice beaches, relaxing massages (not the naughty kind ;) ) and sunshine. I think it could do me a world of good and hopefully teach me some discipline. Would be nice to come home a new man although maybe i'm being naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It's a very good idea and I have done it myself in the past, disappeared to Spain for three or four weeks after stressful times here, the sunshine will make you feel invigorated, you'll also have the opportunity to meet new people and do different things. You'll come home feeling much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I did it after a breakup a few years ago. Went to a quiet part of the canaries that was still lovely and warm in February. Spent 12 days reading and watching boxsets in the evening. Brought a few inspirational books. It was a fantastic way to reflect and look at goals for the year etc.

Absolutely, the problems at home will still be there, but the resilience I started to develop on that trip was a huge help in dealing objectively with problems. A book I read recently described the benefits perfectly, I built up an emotional and mental bank account, a buffer to dip into when things got bad.

I think you absolutely should do it. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I've done it a few times at this stage,planning my next getaway at the moment.I can only do so much of Ireland then I have to take off again.my last stint was in the states hitchhiking and getting around by various means,I'll never forget stowing away on the back of a freight train that was crossing the great salt lake in Utah with the sun going down,things like that burn into your memory you don't even need a camera to relive it.

I had eff all money,but got by just the same.it definitely gave me a different perspective of life when I returned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lamegerty

Sounds like it is worth a try. Sure why not? If you are looking to do some exercise you could try something you have always wanted to do, a few people on boards recommended surfing courses in Spain, or sailing, or whatever you might enjoy. Could be worth signing up to something for a week that way you immediately start doing something once you arrive, and if you enjoy it you can continue or if not you can go relax, read, sleep in the hotel or coffee shops and take a few walks. At the very least you'll feel you got away for a break for a few weeks, go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Have you ever went away to get away from it all?

Frequently!

If you have the means, the time & no commitments for a month...

Just do it, you won't regret it :cool:

Carpe diem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭worded

What about court town ? Lovely chipper there as well.

Warm Savana breeze .... And with the right eyes .....

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FBWT

I did it myself a few months ago. Had a very stressful start to the year and I just got sick of my lot in life so I packed my bags. What started off as a 'break' has turned in to a new life, I've settled in another part of the country, new job, new scenery, new friends, new routine, new me.

I miss home sometimes, but it's only a few hours drive away.

Go for it OP. Sometimes a change of scenery is all that's needed.

Best of luck to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

I would love to do this.

Go for it op. Nothing to lose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

How about going to a yoga / meditation retreat for a month?

Advertisement