Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever went away to 'get away from it all'?

Options
  • 11-01-2015 9:09am

I'm not talking about yourself and a group of friends inter-railing, or going to live in Australia for a few years (and importing half your neighbourhood with you, as it seems a lot of people do).

I'm talking about just taking a break away from everything in general?

Pretty much, I've not been the happiest camper in the world lately. Getting a bit too fed up with things. Also battling my weight and such a lot (as you do).

So I'm considering booking a hotel or apartment in Spain, for example, for a month. Just me, on my own.

Idea being to just be able to get away from everyone and everything for a while. Be in a new place. Plan is to use the time (and notably better weather) to focus on my fitness. I'd be a very self-conscious person as a whole, so don't do a lot of fitness stuff, but I know if i was in a different country I wouldn't give a sh*te as I'd never see anyone over there again, and I'd be a complete stranger.

I'm not really looking to 'travel' or meet people. Fitness and general healthiness would be my primary interest. I just find life very dreary here at the moment.

Was hoping it'd just help press a 'reset' button on me and I'd come back feeling a lot more refreshed, positive and confident.

I have no real commitments here, so was considering doing it (before the summer holidays when the likes of Spain just turn into a mish/mash of Irish/UK people getting locked all the time).

It's not working out as expensive as I thought it might (can get fairly average apartment/hotel for €700 for 28 nights, and I could probably do better on price if I looked harder).

Just wondering if anyone has done this before? Did you come back feeling better or worse? Or is it just a stupid idea in general? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Great idea. Rent yourself a nice small little secluded gaff somewhere on the Spanish islands during off peak season. You will get a decent rate for an off peak months hire. Bring a load of books, chill out in the sun, get back in shape and eat some decent but healthy food. Could try picking up a bit of Spanish too.

If you're in a position to do it and can afford to take a month out; go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mongie

Problem is that you gotta come back, and your life if still your life when you get here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Just wondering if anyone has done this before? Did you come back feeling better or worse? Or is it just a stupid idea in general? :o

Its not a stupid idea, but I think it has a huge potential to make things worse. You could end up dreading coming back.

If you're worried about your fitness and people "talking" could you not do it quietly for a month?

• Sit ups and press ups in doors (build it up. Do more each day)
    • Walk to work. If not walk as far as you can. Walk at lunch times. Walk and walk.
    • Watch what you eat.
    • After a month of that you can join everyone else at the gym or whatever.
    Wish you well bro ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I think if you are struggling to lose weight then you will still struggle somewhere else. why do you think you are struggling with it? is it a psychological issue? it's easy to develop a dependency on certain types of food in the same way an alcoholic feels about drink. you certainly can be addicted to food and it's not easy to break the cycle when you have to eat. at least an alcoholic can avoid alcohol. going to Spain for a month is not going to keep you away from food.

There are so many different opinions on how is the best way to lose weight but only you can decide what suits you. Just try not to get stuck in a spiral of going from one method to the next without giving one a good honest try. This is where your mind gets so fogged with things you can't eat or must eat.

don't listen to anyone who tells you to just 'eat less and move more'. anyone that says that has never had a psychological dependency on food. while this saying is 100% correct you need to spend some time, be it at home or away, trying to find some peace in your mind and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. try to exercise regularly and don't think of it as something that can help your body but rather your mind. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

I'm envious already! If you're in a position to do it then just do. Why don't you go and then tell us all about it, you could come back to boards and answer all your own questions. You may even be inspired to do it for a longer period. For health benefits I think it ticks all the boxes. I'm sure the way you're feeling now couldn't get any worse over in Spain so why not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

A few years ago I did a 'getaway from it all' break - having finished a difficult and stressful project in work I took my hols and disappeared for a couple of weeks - very invigorating.

If you're looking for an activity based break, why not go somewhere with the intention of learning a new activity? Great time of the year to go skiing or snowboarding. Plus 'isolation' isn't a good idea, but going somewhere where there are group activities you can get involved in might be a better idea?

If you're looking for somewhere warmer, I can recommend this hotel.....

http://www.clublasanta.com/

It's a sports based hotel - I've been there a couple of times to do some bike riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Long time ago I took two weeks off from electronics. Didn't use my phone, computer, the TV, nothing. Just read books in the back garden. It was the best holiday I've ever had. Difficult at first! But when I got used to it, brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Its not a stupid idea, but I think it has a huge potential to make things worse. You could end up dreading coming back.

If you're worried about your fitness and people "talking" could you not do it quietly for a month?

Wish you well bro ;)

foxy06 wrote: »
    I think if you are struggling to lose weight then you will still struggle somewhere else

Whilst I sincerely appreciate both replies, I was more hoping that the change of scenery and location would help with 'freshening things up' for me, mentally, as much as physically.

I'm not expecting to go away for a month and come back as Arnold Schwarzenegger. But I would be hoping that when I came back I'd be a bit more open to doing and trying things. A bit of 'reflection' time away, almost.

Jawgap wrote: »
    If you're looking for somewhere warmer, I can recommend this hotel.....

http://www.clublasanta.com/

It's a sports based hotel - I've been there a couple of times to do some bike riding.

That's a genius idea, actually. I don't know if I'd like to stay there now or not (I think I might prefer being on my own?) but just out of curiousity, is an expensive stay? (it wont let me attempt to book it).

I like the idea of it, but I don't think I like the thoughts of having a timetable in the background of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I wasn't looking to get away as such but a few years ago I rented a cabin by a lake in the middle of Finland, nearest shop was 40 mins drive away. Was great, switched off from everything, not contactable, had a sauna and some books. Was nice being able to watch the sun come down towards the lake and then rise again. Don't think I've ever been so refreshed after a break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

That's a genius idea, actually. I don't know if I'd like to stay there now or not (I think I might prefer being on my own?) but just out of curiousity, is an expensive stay? (it wont let me attempt to book it).

I like the idea of it, but I don't think I like the thoughts of having a timetable in the background of my head.

Try this site - www.clublasanta.co.uk - looks like you have to email to get availability.

We went through a travel agent and had bikes etc booked and ready for us when we got there. It cost two of us just over €2,000 for a week, self-catering, including bikes. The gym was free and other activities (depending on what was involved) you paid for. You don't have to conform to a timetable - if you have a bike and want to use the gym, you can do so on your own terms.

Another alternative, might be to pick a country hotel with a decent gym - bound to be be good deals around at this time of year.

Or try Air B 'n' B - and rent somewhere with good walking and plenty of hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

@!!!!!!!!".

It's always better to just get your head down and study. Leave the tv off and study. I immediately feel a weight being lifted off my shoulders, get that feeling of "studying isn't actually too bad. I'm quite enjoying reading up on this".

Face your problems head on and just deal with them. It won't be as bad as you think it might be. You'll immediately feel better for it, definitely relieved. "Getting away from it all" is just another way of turning on the tv when you should be studying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭HazelBee

Definitely go for it! I've done it on my own on occasion as I have a very demanding job. It really does your head the world of good, I always come back refreshed and ready to give it my all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Dunford

Great idea. Thats what get aways are all about. When ur head is full of crap its very difficult to see outside of your problems or worries.

Its about 16 degrees, blue sky and sunny here in Alicante.....it definitely helps the mood. It gets chilly at night tho.

Do it. Don't over analysis it. Just do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Once a year, we go away for at least week somewhere with no internet and limited phone/tv access. It's great to recharge your mental batteries.

I would worry about going away for so long on your own. Could you try a shorter break, say a week closer home? A week in a health spa, where you wouldn't be so alone might be better. Also, if you want to get in shape, Operation Transformation groups are being set up in towns all round the country. Most have a facebook page. You have a private weighin, advise on diet and an opportunity to exercise, walk, jog or run with others. My main concern for you is going away alone might make your problems bigger in your mind and they are still there when you get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

My last holiday was 3 weeks in USA, and it was largely for the reason to just get away from my stressful work situation (doing the job of 2 people, dont get on with boss etc) and my personal life wasnt great either, single a while now and am losing interest in changing that, so I headed off starting in Chicago and down through Nebraska and Kansas etc, all on my own, not even as part of the "singles tour packs" that you can buy over there.

So I knew in a way I was just dodging my life but in a way, everyone who goes on holidays is in the same boat, some want to get away from people, their workmates, see new cultures and challenge themselves so that didnt take from how enjoyable the holiday was. I learned a lot about the states, American history and chatted to a variety of people, plus I had to rely only on myself which is a skill a lot of people dont have, I never ever understand people who "cant" go on holiday alone and need someone there next to them 24/7. Its a weakness in my opinion.

OP, I advise you to go for it and dont dwell on the reasons behind it. A lot of people cant ever take holidays for whatever reason so you are lucky, go for it and enjoy yourself. Your life will thank you for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Yeah as said above

JUST DO IT :)

only a short time on this planet so do what you would like to do , get a better perspective.
    Tiny bit of advice would be to go far , get a culture shock , in reality you head to a lot of european destinations and they are pretty much the same.
    What about Africa and a overland trip?
    aim for around a month trip with a couple of weeks either side , cost around €3000 all in

https://www.africantrails.co.uk/

another wee tip that i found useful with the weight was buying a treadmill, youll pick one up on Gumtree for the price of a months gym membership , use that and one of the various apps like couch to 5k. take your time and build slowly to a beginners level of fitness.

Good luck whatever you do :)

Sit on the laptop , dig out the credit card and book that month away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I think it's a great idea OP. I understand what people are saying about your problems being here still when you come home, but honestly you could say that about any holiday. So long as you go with the intention of getting into a good routine when you come back then I think you should do it.

I'd be planning my routine for when I return alongside booking the getaway to be honest. It shows your dedication to getting in shape and tackling your problems head on, as well as allowing yourself to switch off for a while.

I'm always raving about this place, Le Cinque Terre in Italy- I've posted on boards about it a few times. You'd have all the little shops and facilities you'd need but none of the fast paced life. And the best part is that you hike (or can take a train, but you're trying to get in shape!) between the villages so it would be great exercise and the scenery is amazing. All you need is a pair of decent runners/hiking boots and you're set. And if you want to do day trips to Pisa or even stay away for a night or two in Rome/Venice etc, it's well serviced by trains.

I'm actually jealous that you're in a position to do this. I'd be gone in a heartbeat if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Would be the same as a lot of posters here, I think I'd love it, but knowing me would get bored after a day with nobody to talk to or annoy me!

OP I did this a few years ago, not on my own but was with the idea of getting away from this country after a bad break up, I don't think it actually helped as when I was away it dawned on me that I had to deal with all the crap when I got home.. However your doing it for different reasons.

I personally think you should try and maybe work on your self esteem so that you can work on your fitness at home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I meant to add, holidays on your own is probably one of the best things someone can do. I love going away with my friends, but I love going places where I know nobody too. I wouldn't let that part put you off.

I think some people find it odd or else that they wouldn't like it themselves. I have no shortage of friends thankfully, and whilst I'd happy go on holidays with them, I think it is a really good thing to be able to go somewhere by myself and be happy in my own company.

And honestly OP, if you do go somewhere and you don't like it or feel a bit lonesome, just come home. At least you'll have given it a try, which is more than a lot of others could say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

A month may be a bit long. But I have certainly gone off the radar for shorter periods.
    No electronic communication devices bar a TV and radio is a must.

It helps declutter your mind and get a fresh perspective on things. Then when you do return to the real world you have a better chance of working thru and sorting all the crap that life was waiting for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Sounds appealing. If you have been away alone previously, and were happy, in your own company, I'd say go for it. If not, I'd suggest a shorter break initially, and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

That sounds like a lovely idea - go for it. Bear in mind the saying though "Wherever you go, there you are"...

Also, when it comes to losing weight, it's 80% diet, 20% exercise. I've personal experience of this. It's all about the calories - I found myfitnesspal is a great app for tracking your food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I'm not talking about yourself and a group of friends inter-railing, or going to live in Australia for a few years (and importing half your neighbourhood with you, as it seems a lot of people do).

I'm talking about just taking a break away from everything in general?

Pretty much, I've not been the happiest camper in the world lately. Getting a bit too fed up with things. Also battling my weight and such a lot (as you do).

So I'm considering booking a hotel or apartment in Spain, for example, for a month. Just me, on my own.

Idea being to just be able to get away from everyone and everything for a while. Be in a new place. Plan is to use the time (and notably better weather) to focus on my fitness. I'd be a very self-conscious person as a whole, so don't do a lot of fitness stuff, but I know if i was in a different country I wouldn't give a sh*te as I'd never see anyone over there again, and I'd be a complete stranger.

I'm not really looking to 'travel' or meet people. Fitness and general healthiness would be my primary interest. I just find life very dreary here at the moment.

Was hoping it'd just help press a 'reset' button on me and I'd come back feeling a lot more refreshed, positive and confident.

I have no real commitments here, so was considering doing it (before the summer holidays when the likes of Spain just turn into a mish/mash of Irish/UK people getting locked all the time).

It's not working out as expensive as I thought it might (can get fairly average apartment/hotel for €700 for 28 nights, and I could probably do better on price if I looked harder).

I thought that you were going to build a shack in the woods and hunt for your food and live without money ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

I did it in December. Only for 2 weeks as it was approaching Christmas and I needed to be back for that, otherwise I would have stayed longer.

I was a little apprehensive as I had never travelled on my own before but it was amazing. Totally cleared my head and put the minor annoying problems into perspective.

Just do it! Pick a canary island as they have year round sunshine. It is highly unlikely you will regret it but you will always wonder about it if you don't go! I wouldn't rule out meeting people though, but that's just me. Go, and let us know how you got on when you get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Did it for a week one time. Found it excellent. That was enough time though and was looking forward to getting back to reality then.

Wanted to focus on my fitness during that time so booked a hotel with an excellent leisure centre and spent a lot of time in that during the week.

Would recommend you go for it as you won't always have the opportunity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I did it last year.

I had been booked to do a weeks work with a company, and it fell through. Things had been getting on top of me, so I just said "fcuk this" and decided I needed some head space.

So on the spur of the moment, I booked a flight to Rome for ridiculously cheapo money with Ryanair, and 2 nights in a 2* hotel (It was more like a B&B), and off I went 2 days later.

I stayed for 5 days, the length of time I would have been away working anyway. I just did what I fcukin felt like. I didn't feel obliged to go to all the tourist spots, I didn't bring a camera, and I didn't go drinking like a fool and missing the experience of the city through the blur of a hangover.

When my 2 nights were up, I walked to the train station, bought a ticket to a town called Foggia (in the South of Italy), and headed on my merry way. That was the most expensive part of the whole thing, about E70 return. I went to see the body of St. Padre Pio, stayed there for another 2 nights, and went to more masses and said more Rosaries than I did in the last 5 years put together! Some of you might think that's weird, but its what I felt like doing, so that's what I did.

Back to Rome, another day looking at all the (free) sights, and then home. The entire trip cost less than E300. And me with not a single word of Italian in my head.

The only thing I would caution you with OP, is that I had this block of time set aside already. It would be different if I had deadlines to meet, or other time pressures of some sort. This wasn't the case with me. I'll tell yiz one thing though, that trip set me up for the rest of the year. Its something I'll remember all my life, I have no regrets whatsoever about doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I would go for it op. did it many years ago, to get away from a lot of things. I went to Spain for several months (as long as it took for things to get sorted back here) but I did come back with a new found appreciation and in a lot of ways was able to start my life over again. (I put on a bit of weight over there tho probably because I wasn't running from pillar to post the whole time!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Travelling can be a lot of fun - and even though a lot of people are saying to go do it....I don't think you should.

You explicitly say this isn't about travelling or meeting people.
    I'm not really looking to 'travel' or meet people. Fitness and general healthiness would be my primary interest.

Fitness and healthiness isn't going to happen in 28 days. And travelling makes it a lot harder to focus on those things. You can get a hotel in Spain for 700e or whatever - but where are you going to cook your healthy meals? Dining out while eating right is pretty hard. I don't know what your fitness level is or what sort of workouts you'd be doing, but you'd probably want a gym or equipment. If money isn't a concern, sure, you can do it.

The thing is, a month from now, even if you really focus on fitness and health, you won't be fit. You'll be in better shape, you might be a kg lighter or something, but you won't be a new person. If you feel uncomfortable working out now where you live, in 28 days, you will still feel uncomfortable working out where you live.

The biggest thing you need to make positive health changes is consistency. You want to establish patterns that will last a long time. If you go to Spain and learn to make a great healthy dish (but you can't find the ingredients locally) or make a friend jogging at the park in Spain, when you come home, you'll still be starting over.

I'd take all that extra time and energy and focus it on your situation here. Focus on your diet and exercise. Map out what you'll eat each week, how many calories. Make a chart with the times you'll work out and what you'll do. Record your progress each day. Just as (or more) importantly, look at the mental side of things.

You mention that you feel self-concious and that you'd feel more comfortable focusing on fitness somewhere else. The thing is, if you don't focus on fitness, you'll never get fit. It's like a chicken-or-egg problem - a lot of people don't want be outside running until they are in shape. But they won't be in shape until they start running! You have to take the actions before you see the results. I know it's easier said that done, but you should never feel bad about working to improve something. If you can't read, there is no shame in going to the library and learning. If you can't ride a bicycle, you'll never be able to until you get out there and start trying. Whatever your current level is, you should NEVER feel bad about working to improve it. Feel bad for not doing it sooner or for letting it go, but that's something that's already done. You can't change that. You can change what you do about it. And the only sensible thing to do is work to improve your fitness.

In 28 days, instead of going to Spain to focus on your fitness and health; you can stay home and focus on your fitness and health. Spend time finding a program/diet and then follow it for the first 28 days like clockwork. Be bold and shameless. Use the money you'd have spent on Spain on food to try out new recipes, shoes for walking/running in, clothing that is comfortable for working out, and whatever else you think will help.

I dunno, just my opinion. Whatever you do, I hope it works out for you.

Advertisement