Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The parallel run is not much better unfortunately

EDIT: already posted by WC.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks very stormy for you guys!

You guys? Are you no longer one of us? Doesn't matter where you live (now). :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

GFSP is quite similar but squeezes the isobars tighter. This looks like Force 12 winds for the southwest coast here.

84-21PUK_oyd6.GIF

The big question now is....what will the ECM do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DOCARCH wrote: »
    You guys? Are you no longer one of us? Doesn't matter where you live (now). :p

Well the reason this storm is gonna hammer down on Dublin is because I am not there, otherwise it would be heading up the Channel to London :D

12Z GFS peaks just under 940mb.

6diVNgC.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The big question now is....what will the ECM do?

We coolly await.

kGfoq.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks weaker on the ukmo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

UKM broadly similar, just has filled by its position east of Scotland at 96hrs

UW96-21.GIF?11-17

That's actually an "upgrade" on the 00z UKMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

can some one post wind barb charts? off the gfs p please. cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Met Eireanns latest 16.38 update doesnt seem too severe for Wed night.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

90-602PUK.GIF?11-12

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

My suggestion would be to check the ECM and if the storm is set on there as well, give this thread a level 2 handle, and drop that other one to level 1 (which it might or might not warrant). Clearly this storm would even have level 3 potential if the GFS maps are right. That should be a call made by the usual suspects in a conference like we had before the 12 Feb storm, please in general do not post any unilateral level 3 advisories, I think we should put those to a vote of moderators and experienced posters. And they should only go up within 24 hours of any given event even if we have great confidence in the models at 36 hours. Right now I don't even feel 100% sure that any severe storm is coming since there has been a certain amount of ebb and flow in the guidance, but the GFS sometimes does very well with this kind of development and so it certainly seems at this stage that the chances are probably better than 50-50. I always figure that if the GFS looks almost exactly like the GEM then something is up.

Met Eireanns latest 16.38 update doesnt seem too severe for Wed night.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

The outlook part of the forecast is only updated once a day usually, in the early morning. The next one will be based on the 12Z ECM. Met Eireann don't use the GFS.

Getting into the far reaches of Hi Res territory on the 12z DMI run.

Wednesday 00z:

334495.PNG

Really only in its development stage by then so looks a little bit disorganized but seems to be more or less on track with the latest global model outputs.

New Moon

My opinion is it is still >80hrs out and so no warning is really merited for now but if the North American models are consistent even without the ECM than a level 1 warning would be appropriate tomorrow just as an advisory and something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

legomaniac wrote: »
    I was out dosing some ewes. What did they say?

Baaaaaa?

On a more serious note, be prepared.

I note that some of the surfing websites are predicting heavy swell. For example Inch Beach in Co. Kerry is forecast at 19 foot.

So depending on the exact nature of the costal location one should consider tidal conditions if appropriate. So if the house gets battered by either a wave or debris then plan accordingly for conditions. Better safe than sorry.

I am not sure if wind barb charts are available for the GFSP EWB, but others may have links.

Edit: sorry, Maq has already posted such.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

But ken said it would be snowing this week :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

GEM has the storm pretty much like GFS, not quite as deep but same track and timing (952 mb at 00z Thursday). Those GFS maps would probably produce maximum gusts over 80 knots at exposed locations and 50-60 inland. There would be widespread damage from them. Better hope they are a touch overdone as is sometimes the case with GFS guidance at this range. The UK and GEM maps would be a little easier on the country in general, could say maybe 75 knots at exposed locations and 45-55 inland. Just enough of a difference to make quite a difference in the impact on trees and structures.

• Advertisement

The GEFS ensemble mean is down to 955mb now.

gens-21-1-84.png

The GEFS ensemble mean is down to 955mb now.

How does it compare with earlier runs Maq in terms of positioning?

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    How does it compare with earlier runs Maq in terms of positioning?

I can't recall the position, I don't think there is an archive for the GEFS. But it is 5mb deeper.

The positioning is surprisingly consistent at this range with the UKMO a bit on the progressive side - the depth is the real differential in terms of impact. Both could still change radically between now and then though. The GEFS and UKMO are both in upgrade territory today against their 00z runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

15011500_1112.gif

Looking at the latest prognoses regarding development & track of this storm low, it reminds me a little of one particular storm that hit in January 1990.

1990012500_5.gif

This brought some powerful gusts to southern areas esp.

New Moon

There doesn't seem to be much of a change on the 12Z ECM from the 0Z. Doesn't seem to have moved any closer to the GFS. Further south than the GFS at 72 hours, and at 96 hours there's a significant difference between the GFS/GFSP and the ECM.

There could still be a short period of strong winds between 72-96 hours but we'll have to wait to see the 3-hour steps for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

ECMWF, 960hPa low with 50-60kts winds on the west coast and sustained gale force right into the midlands. Not as severe as the GFS runs but still packing a punch

Screen_Shot_2015_01_11_at_18_48_01.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

Tactical wrote: »
    Baaaaaa?

On a more serious note, be prepared.

I note that some of the surfing websites are predicting heavy swell. For example Inch Beach in Co. Kerry is forecast at 19 foot.

So depending on the exact nature of the costal location one should consider tidal conditions if appropriate. So if the house gets battered by either a wave or debris then plan accordingly for conditions. Better safe than sorry.

Baaaaaa.... love it!! I will keep an eye on things alright... I got the impression that Jean was holding back a little on this evening's forecast... not wanting to cause to much stress or worry at this stage.... and quite rightly so

• Advertisement

Yeah, 12Z ECM is stormy, but not as severe as the GFS.

150111_1200_84.png

Still a few days to go, so it could upgrade a bit. But I think a GFS downgrade is more likely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement