Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iran

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sillybilly

I'm also thinking of travelling in September, actually hoping to leave next week.

Can I just get a visa on arrival?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

sillybilly wrote: »
    I'm also thinking of travelling in September, actually hoping to leave next week.

Can I just get a visa on arrival?

Not when I went there two years ago you couldn't. I had to go to the embassy in Dublin. No offence but if you're going next week, why haven't you checked this out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sillybilly

Thanks Fred.

Thanks Mosstin, yep lastminute.com I know!

Any recommendations for must-sees. I have about three weeks there.

sillybilly wrote: »
    Thanks Fred.

Thanks Mosstin, yep lastminute.com I know!

Any recommendations for must-sees. I have about three weeks there.

In no particular order...................
    Esfahan
    Persepolis
    Yazd
    Shiraz
    Mashhad
    Tehran/Grand Bazaar

Most incredible people you'll meet. Wonderful country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

Any of you who went in September etc can you post your experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Just do it!! Awesome. I did in April so probably a bit warmer. Definitely in ,y top 5 countries

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

I'm heading there in October, but only for a week. Need to decide between Shiraz and Esfahan. Anyone have any opinions?

KevinK wrote: »
    I'm heading there in October, but only for a week. Need to decide between Shiraz and Esfahan. Anyone have any opinions?

Esfahan.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭limerickabroad

McSween wrote: »
    Any of you who went in September etc can you post your experiences?

I was in Iran in December, had a great time. Did the Tehran-Esfahan-Shiraz-Persepolis-Yazd-Kashan route. Wonderful country. As everybody says, the nicest people I've ever met anywhere. Had no issues at all.

For me, the overwhelming highlight was Esfahan Naqshe-Jahan square, followed by Persepolis, followed by Yazd. Tehran, Kashan, and the bridges of Esfahan didn't impress me that much. Shiraz bazaar was the best bazaar in my opinion.

Any questions, just ask!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

If in Shiraz a great day trip is to head to Kezarun and from there to the ruins of Bishapur. Highlight of my trip it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

What is accommodation like price wise. As in what is the cheapest you can get? Assume I don't have standards.

as I don't

cooker3 wrote: »
    What is accommodation like price wise. As in what is the cheapest you can get? Assume I don't have standards.

as I don't

Iran is a very cheap country to travel in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

mosstin wrote: »
    Iran is a very cheap country to travel in.

Hmmmn interesting.

I am heading to Turkey next week and planning to go across land and towards the Caucasus countries Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan. It's so temptingly close...

Hmmmn interesting.

I am heading to Turkey next week and planning to go across land and towards the Caucasus countries Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan. It's so temptingly close...

An unmissable experience as far as I'm concerned. If you're that close and you have the time you must go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

as I don't

In Shiraz and Esfahan there are cheap hostels and in other places you could get a guest house or hotel for under twenty dollars a night, outside of the main tourist trail you could pick up accommodation for nothing as people often ask you over to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

I’m really interested in going to Iran but I’ve real concerns with regards to travelling to the U.S. anytime afterwards.
    Am I right in saying that anyone who is travelling to or has been in Iran since 2011 cannot get an ESTA and may not get into the U. S. at all?
    As much as I’d love to go to Iran I honestly don’t know if I’d put not being able to go to the U.S. in jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

You need to go to the US embassy and get a ten year visa multiple enyry after you visit Iran. It's a tiny bit of hassle, especially the trip to the embassy but on the other hand you're covered for ten years unlike Esta which I think is yearly. It's also cheaper then Esta if you go to the US regularly.

johnire wrote: »
    I’m really interested in going to Iran but I’ve real concerns with regards to travelling to the U.S. anytime afterwards.
    Am I right in saying that anyone who is travelling to or has been in Iran since 2011 cannot get an ESTA and may not get into the U. S. at all?
    As much as I’d love to go to Iran I honestly don’t know if I’d put not being able to go to the U.S. in jeopardy.

You do exactly as the poster above stated. I went to Iran four years ago. I had to go to the US embassy two years later to do an 'interview' for a visa to the US. Utterly straightforward, the most basic questions and I was granted a ten year visa there and then. Don't let anything put you off visiting Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

Thanks folks for the responses. That’s brilliant-much more straight forward than I would have thought!

• Advertisement
Advertisement