Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iran

Options
  • 10-01-2015 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any tales to tell of Iran.

Thinking of going this spring.
    I will probably be going overland from Armenia or Turkey and flying out.

Tabriz, Tehran and Isfahan would be the probable places I would be interested in visiting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

I had been planning a trip but now the only time I can go would be in late June and I think it might be too hot.

Did you get the visa in Dublin Fred? Was it difficult/expensive? Is 15 days the standard length?

Pegasus airlines have really good fares from Tehran to Istanbul, might be of interest to one of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

KevinK wrote: »
    I had been planning a trip but now the only time I can go would be in late June and I think it might be too hot.

Did you get the visa in Dublin Fred? Was it difficult/expensive? Is 15 days the standard length?

Pegasus airlines have really good fares from Tehran to Istanbul, might be of interest to one of ye.

Was in Iran last summer and getting the visa in Dublin was the easiest I've ever applied for. Ready in just about two hours. Hassle free and best of all, for 35 days. I recall it costing around 40 euro.

Once you have the authorisation code from the Iranian MFA getting the visa is a simple matter of completing the forms and going to the embassy.

30 days is the standard visa.

Meh, didn't actually bother with the authorisation code. They didn't ask for it so I didn't need it in the end.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    Was in Iran last summer and getting the visa in Dublin was the easiest I've ever applied for. Ready in just about two hours. Hassle free and best of all, for 35 days. I recall it costing around 40 euro.

What was the weather like during the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I' ve been in Iran twice. Tehran, Isfahan, Shiraz, Persepolis, Caspian Sea, Mt. Damavand. In summer both times. Extremely hot. Let me know if you have any questions, or PM me!

What was the weather like during the summer?

Rarely a day below 40 degrees but, strangely, you do become accustomed to it to a certain extent. Further south you go, the hotter it gets. Kerman in particular stands out as being stifling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I was there about 3 years ago - 21st Dec to 15th Jan. Snow on the ground in lots of places but everywhere indoors was hotter than a sauna as the Iranians were so cold all the time so the heating was on full blast. Hotter the further south you go but around 15 degrees most days; very pleasant temps for sightseeing and wandering around.

I went from Tehran-Zanjan-Sanandaj-Kermanshah-Shush-Shiraz-Yazd-Isfahan-Kashan-Tehran

Took buses between major cities and those shared taxis, savaris, for runs under 2 hours - the driving is not for the faint-hearted in these!

In addition to your 3 cities I'd include Yazd.

If you're female I'd advise going in Spring/Winter as it's hot enough wearing a manteau and scarf then so I'd image Summer would be very uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Was there in September. Amazing country, amazing holiday.
    Have sent you a (rather long) pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Please let me know how you get on. I've wanted to visit Iran most of my life and I'd be interested to know about your experiences, flight costs and travel costs.

sarkozy wrote: »
    Please let me know how you get on. I've wanted to visit Iran most of my life and I'd be interested to know about your experiences, flight costs and travel costs.

I flew to Istanbul for around 200 euro, took a train from Ankara to Tehran (unforgettable) for about 40 euro. Once you get there travel is excellent, mostly by bus - the VIP buses are superior to anything we have in Ireland and only cost a couple of euro more than the standard Iranian coach. Iran is a very cheap country.

mosstin wrote: »
    I flew to Istanbul for around 200 euro, took a train from Ankara to Tehran (unforgettable) for about 40 euro. Once you get there travel is excellent, mostly by bus - the VIP buses are superior to anything we have in Ireland and only cost a couple of euro more than the standard Iranian coach. Iran is a very cheap country.

Did you use the trains much in Iran? I have seen that there are overnight trains between Tehran and various other cities. In the past this has been my favourite way to travel, as it usually very comfortable and saves on a nights accommodation.

While the Ankara to Tehran is probably a worthwhile experience in itself there are flights available from Istanbul to Tehran for €90 (In May for example) with Pegasus, there are actually flights as cheap as €60 going from Tehran to Istanbul in the summer. Might we worth getting the train there and flight back.

Did you use the trains much in Iran? I have seen that there are overnight trains between Tehran and various other cities. In the past this has been my favourite way to travel, as it usually very comfortable and saves on a nights accommodation.

While the Ankara to Tehran is probably a worthwhile experience in itself there are flights available from Istanbul to Tehran for €90 (In May for example) with Pegasus, there are actually flights as cheap as €60 going from Tehran to Istanbul in the summer. Might we worth getting the train there and flight back.

Not once. Trains there are slower and not very reliable from what I can gather. I love train travel ordinarily but I swerved it this time around.

Not mosstin, but we wanted to take the train from Esfahan to Tehran. We couldn't find a way to book it from Ireland and the train doesn't go frequently and so had to be booked well in advance. In the end we got the VIP bus. They're great.

There's three seats to a row (two & 1), so lots of space. They give you food, there's a cooler of drinks you can pull from and they stop every 3 & 1/2 hours to allow for bathroom usage & the purchase of more food. There are two drivers on every bus and they switch over regularly to prevent fatigue. They're also well air conditioned, actually our bus was over air conditioned and I could really have done with a few extra jumpers and thick woolly socks.

We did have to buy our tickets a day or two in advance, but the hotel sorted that for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

if you've time try to check out Cappadocia in Turkey on your way, Goreme is the main town. Its a fab stop with some bizarre rock formations and fairy chimmneys. Its also one of the cheapest places in the world to try hot air ballooning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Thanks to all for replies and ideas.

It has been a mixed reaction I have been getting from Irish people I tell I'm thinking of going to Iran, stuff about ransom demands and the like.

I suppose ignorance is a commodity that no one has a monopoly on.

I understand something of the position Iran has in the region, their role in the conflicts in Syria, Iraq, Lebanon.

I understand something of the revolution, the Shah, and something of Persia. Travel is about learning something about the place you're visiting and something about one's self.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Officer999

Maybe a naive question but is it safe for a European tourist to visit?

Would be very interested in visiting....

• Advertisement

Completely. It felt like one of the safest places I've ever visited.
    Except for crossing the road, that's terrifying.

Completely. It felt like one of the safest places I've ever visited.
    Except for crossing the road, that's terrifying.

100% agree with this. Stand very close to an Iranian while crossing the road and follow in their footsteps exactly and you'll probably be ok :pac:

Officer999 wrote: »
    Maybe a naive question but is it safe for a European tourist to visit?

Would be very interested in visiting....

Completely. Don't be put off by folk who watch Fox news, or indeed most western news stations. Warmest people you'll ever encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

I'd love to visit Iran. Is it manageable to get around, I wouldn't have a great command of Farsi?

I'd love to visit Iran. Is it manageable to get around, I wouldn't have a great command of Farsi?

Pretty easy. There'll be enough English spoken at bus stations for you to buy a ticket. Always nice to learn a few phrases of the local lingo - the locals will love you that little bit more.

No problem getting around. Most touristy areas will have basic English and will sell you tickets etc. Taxis can be the only issue but the guidebook I had (LP) had the names of all tourist attractions written in Farsi so I could just show that.

I spent 12 hours in Ahvaz bus station and after 20 mins sitting on a bench wondering how I was going to kill time I was invited into one of the bus companies offices within the terminal where they kept me topped up with tea and sweets (that toffee with pistachios in it :)), looked after my bag and I had a steady stream of visitors wanting their photo taken with me. Only one guy had any English but it didn't matter. Human kindness transcends language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Meathlass wrote: »
    No problem getting around. Most touristy areas will have basic English and will sell you tickets etc. Taxis can be the only issue but the guidebook I had (LP) had the names of all tourist attractions written in Farsi so I could just show that.

Good stuff. In Egypt the picture of the pyramids in the guidebook did the taxi trick for me. Presumably phone apps can help nowadays.

The issue is whether the people are trying to help or not. There is usually a way, if the former is the case.

Meathlass wrote: »

I spent 12 hours in Ahvaz bus station and after 20 mins sitting on a bench wondering how I was going to kill time I was invited into one of the bus companies offices within the terminal where they kept me topped up with tea and sweets (that toffee with pistachios in it :)), looked after my bag and I had a steady stream of visitors wanting their photo taken with me. Only one guy had any English but it didn't matter. Human kindness transcends language.

And instances such as this are not rare. It is a wonderful country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Plan to go on holiday there in a couple of weeks. Can anyone give any advice

Plan currently is Tehran->Qom->Ishafan->Shiraz over 2 weeks

Any advice appreciated

Advertisement