Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You have more chances of winning in the lotto than this show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Alibaba wrote: »
    This has to go down as the biggest load of trash RTE have ever produced.

Awful rubbish.

I don't disagree that it's a big load of trash - but with the very greatest of respect, of all the big loads of trash that RTE have produced over the years, I don't think anyone can or ever will know for sure which is the biggest. :o:o:)

Because there has also been The House of Love, The Dinner Party, The English Class, the People in Need telethon - as well as The Trump Card, another National Lottery game show... ;);)

Gael23 wrote: »
    You have more chances of winning in the lotto than this show.

And even if you are a contestant on the show, it's still possible for you to win nothing - if the ticket has your team-mate's name on it rather than yours, and he/she doesn't think to share any of the winnings with you.

Unlikely, of course, but it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭brian_t

And even if you are a contestant on the show, it's still possible for you to win nothing - if the ticket has your team-mate's name on it rather than yours, and he/she doesn't think to share any of the winnings with you.

Unlikely, of course, but it is possible.

This is wrong. If you are not a ticket holder then you are not a contestant and therefore not entitled to any share of the winnings.

The second person is there to support the player - nothing else.

Personally I think it's silly to have the second person there. All the players in all the previous lottery shows seemed to have coped without a friend joining them up on the stage to hold their hand.

brian_t wrote: »
    This is wrong. If you are not a ticket holder then you are not a contestant and therefore not entitled to any share of the winnings.

The second person is there to support the player - nothing else.

I'm afraid I have to disagree. :o

The second person is a contestant in my eyes - it doesn't matter that he/she isn't the ticket holder.

What's more, the two people do confer when making their choices in each of the games. And the second person does select two of the four cases to hand over to Nicky for 'Crack the Code'.

That's more than just support, IMHO. :o

Personally I think it's silly to have the second person there. All the players in all the previous lottery shows seemed to have coped without a friend joining them up on the stage to hold their hand.

New owners of the Lottery = new thoughts as regards contestants on the Lottery's shows. :o:o:);)

• Advertisement

Each of the show's three players, assisted by their special guest, will win cash prizes as they work through these games. The lucky player who wins through each week gets to play the final game, The Million Euro Challenge. This game involves only six steps for the player to work their way up the Million Euro Challenge Pyramid to win the top prize of a fantastic €1,000,000.
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/themillioneurochallenge.html

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Alibaba

I don't disagree that it's a big load of trash - but with the very greatest of respect, of all the big loads of trash that RTE have produced over the years, I don't think anyone can or ever will know for sure which is the biggest. :o:o:)

Because there has also been The House of Love, The Dinner Party, The English Class, the People in Need telethon - as well as The Trump Card, another National Lottery game show... ;);)

Totally agree with you.
    Just mean it's up there with the best (or should I say the worst :-(

brian_t wrote: »
    Each of the show's three players, assisted by their special guest, will win cash prizes as they work through these games. The lucky player who wins through each week gets to play the final game, The Million Euro Challenge. This game involves only six steps for the player to work their way up the Million Euro Challenge Pyramid to win the top prize of a fantastic €1,000,000.
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/themillioneurochallenge.html

Well, I'd have to disagree with RTE and the National Lottery as well. :o:o:o

If the second person is supposed to be there for support and nothing else, then why does he/she act like a fully-fledged team-mate? And perhaps more to the point, why is he/she treated as such by Nicky and the producers?

There is a difference between the two roles... :o;)

Reading that RTE article again:

RTÉ and The National Lottery have teamed up again to bring the nation's viewers and Lottery players an all-new broadcasting treat, The Million Euro Challenge... which promises to be a fun and entertaining show for all the family.

*stifles laugh* :o;)

Players who wish to appear on The Million Euro Challenge TV gameshow can enter via scratchcards.

As if there are other ways of entering Lottery shows. :o

I believe players wishing to appear on the unlamented Irish version of Deal or No Deal had to enter via scratchcard, too.

Each of the players will play original and exciting Lottery games

I've said before that 'Crack the Code' may have been inspired by Lingo in America.

Admittedly, Lingo isn't a show that many people this side of the Atlantic would know about. (There was a version on ITV in the late '80s, made by Central and then Thames, but it didn't last long.)

But the point is, 'Crack the Code' really isn't all that original. And it certainly isn't very exciting.

As if that wasn't enough, the name has been used on a National Lottery game show before - on one of the games in the 2004 series of that other great Marty Whelan show, Fame & Fortune. :o;)

'Crack the Code' (where cracking a 4-digit code means the safe gets opened and the player wins cash)

There is no safe. And the ticket holder (careful wording there) is going to win cash in this game anyway.

the finale game, 'The Million Euro Challenge'

Why, why, WHY can't it be just called 'The Pyramid'?

Giving one of the programme's games the same name as the programme itself isn't a very good idea, anyway.

Even Winning Streak has never had, and more than likely never will have, a game named after itself.

Will a player win through and walk away with €1,000,000?

Of the eleven ticket holders (more careful wording) to have faced the pyramid thus far, five of them have found five zeros on it and thus won €100,000, while three more have found four zeros, and the remaining three have found three.

If a ticket holder does find the maximum six zeros, it will no doubt be a fantastic feeling for him/her, but - dare I say it once again - it simply won't be as exciting for the viewer as someone going all the way on a certain show that features 50:50, Phone A Friend and Ask The Audience...

OK, I've said enough now. :o:o:o:o:D:);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Isn't it enough just to not watch it? Seriously like, I think you're over analysing this. Its just a gameshow.

• Advertisement

Why, why, WHY can't it be just called 'The Pyramid'?

Just out of curiosity - why is it called a pyramid at all.

Surely it's just triangular shaped rather then pyramidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Isn't it enough just to not watch it? Seriously like, I think you're over analysing this. Its just a gameshow.

Nope it's not enough. The whole set of this show needs to be burned. Every tape of this show in the RTE archive needs to be destroyed by a bomb.

Future generations cannot know of this atrocity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭squonk

I finally managed to sit through an entire episode of this on the rerun yesterday. It really is an insult to intelligence!

The whole 'crack the code' thing is nauseating. It seems to be designed to let the contestants win as little money as possible. In fact, yesterdays' show only gave away about €70,000 when you totted up what was given to all contestants according to what I totted up. I feel particularly bad for contestants because, unless you're a total ba$tard, you would probably have to share or at least give your buddy some of your winnings. It wasn't too bad for one pair who were a husband and wife team so one spouse was equally entitled to half the winnings anyway by law! :) One poor guy just won €12,000. Back in the Winning Streak days you were guaranteed €20,000 just for showing up weren't you?

I'd say Nicky Byrne is a nice guy but he really shouldn't be on telly. I don't think he's a great host and the stupid pauses just add to the show's general unwatchability.

Crack The Code is like watching a number matching algorithm proceed in the most painfully slow manner possible.

We always joke in our house about who would show up if one of us sent in 3 stars and got on the show. My parents (who are the primary ticket purchasers) wouldn't go and, back in the Winning Streak days, I'd have grudgingly appeared and felt embarassed that I was taking part however I'd secretly have wanted to know if Marty and Sinead were as nice and friendly off screen as they appear when on. With the Million Euro Challenge however I'd absolutely rule myself out of ever appearing. It's a show they're trying to make in as cheap a way as possible and I feel bad for the contestants as they're pretty much guinea pigs for the cameras. This travesty should be put out of it's misery ASAP. I never thought I'd be looking forward to Winning Streak ever coming back but it now seems like the best show of all time compare to this!

squonk wrote: »
    The whole 'crack the code' thing is nauseating. It seems to be designed to let the contestants win as little money as possible.

I believe the chances of getting the code right on the first go, and winning €32,000 as a result, are 1 in 3024 - or around 0.033%. :o

I feel particularly bad for contestants because, unless you're a total ba$tard, you would probably have to share or at least give your buddy some of your winnings. It wasn't too bad for one pair who were a husband and wife team so one spouse was equally entitled to half the winnings anyway by law! :)

The cheque is only made out to the ticket holder - he/she actually doesn't have to share any of the money with the person that he/she invited along.

I'm sure none of the ticket holders are that mean, though. ;)

One poor guy just won €12,000. Back in the Winning Streak days you were guaranteed €20,000 just for showing up weren't you?

You were indeed.

I believe the ticket holders on this show are still guaranteed €10,000 - they'll win at least €4,000 in 'Crack the Code', and at least €6,000 in 'Risky Business'.

Crack The Code is like watching a number matching algorithm proceed in the most painfully slow manner possible.

Compare and contrast with the American show it seems to have been inspired by... :o:o:);)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Your man won the lotto three times and forgot to buy the ticket each time?

A contestant actually singing - how many times has that happened on a Lottery game show? :eek: :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

This show is bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,824 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's almost like Rose Of Tralee.

Sometimes they show Nicky opening the containers to verify the code, and other times they don't.

Presumably this is to make sure the broadcast show doesn't underrun or overrun.

Suas nó síos?

It's, well, a ball used in a certain sport and an item of jewellery this week... :o:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Is the cupla focail gaeilge part of the show?

Is the cupla focail gaeilge part of the show?

No - Micilín and Gráinne just prefer to speak Gaeilge rather than Béarla. ;)

I believe they're the first contestants to speak Irish on the show. And Gráinne is definitely the first contestant to sing on it. ;)

Also, I'm fairly sure this is the first time the symbols in 'Risky Business' haven't been related to each other in some way.

And I believe that this is the first time that Nicky has called the break after only one of the three choices in the third round (as opposed to two) has been revealed.

An episode of firsts, it would appear... :eek: :D;)

John and Fergal have won more money than Micilín agus Gráinne at this point - €19k compared to €18k - yet it's the latter who are going through to the pyramid, simply because they won the most money in 'Risky Business'.

Hmmm...

This show is some shot of manure, never again go visiting the aunt on a sat evening.

Brighten up, mate - you've just won ten grand.

Now it's time for An Pirimid... :o:D;)

Micilín looks like he is ready to do an D'unbelievables sketch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

An bhfuil tú neirbhiseach?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,824 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Thaispeáint dom an t-airgead :D

Níl ach dhá nialais. :eek: :eek:

Oh, all right.

Just two zeros. :eek: :eek: :D:D

I did say that this appeared to be an episode of firsts... :o:o:D:D;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

OMG - they only found two zeros on the pyramid €100 :eek:

Get the search party out - Where the fup is this million euros??

Advertisement