Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Going to court on a dangerous driving offence

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I spoke to them and the statement was outlining what had happened.

Make sure their solicitor knows they made a statement, should be able to get a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

No mechanical defects found on what was left of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

What your son did on the other hand was blatant and intentionally reckless and dangerous.

Doughnuts in a fwd fiesta? That's some achievement lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Personally, of the OP's friend and your son, I feel what your son did would warrant a harsher outcome. Bad and all as it is, the OP's friend was careless by not paying correct attention and causing an accident, but it was not intentional.

What your son did on the other hand was blatant and intentionally reckless and dangerous.

no it wasn't it was late at night on a deserted industrial estate and obviously wasn't dangerous because that charge was dropped, drifting across the road on the other hand is very definately dangerous.... you ever tried to do a donut in a FWD car btw?

kona wrote: »

exactly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

corktina wrote: »
    exactly!

You must be a very proud parent ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

kona wrote: »

Never say never. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

no it wasn't it was late at night on a deserted industrial estate and obviously wasn't dangerous because that charge was dropped, drifting across the road on the other hand is very definately dangerous.... you ever tried to do a donut in a FWD car btw?

Tbh, whether it was in an industrial estate and the fact that it was deserted is irrelevant. Doing donuts is ridiculous & juvenile behavior that is not acceptable in any public place. It was reckless and in my opinion dangerous as a) he could have lost control and injured himself or someone else who happened to come along and b) he could have damaged the car meaning it could crash or blow a tyre while driving somewhere after the donuts.

I'd have no sympathy for anyone caught engaging in this type of behaviour. Fellas like this need to be taught what is and is not acceptable conduct on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

The case and charge is basically going to go 2 ways. Either the Gardai shows up and he is convicted or he doesn't and its thrown out. He could do with a lawyer to spout the usual, "my client has young children to support and a job that relies on driving etc"...

My father has spent enough time in court for parking tickets, has seen so many traffic offense cases and thats how 99% of them go. Its his word vs the gardai, which the gardai being the more trustworthy.

I will append this though by saying that its seems unlikely for a gardai to push for dangerous driving unless there is a very good reason for it.

Dangerous driving wont be thrown out for the Garda not showing up, its far too serious. If convicted it is generally a minimum 2 year ban from driving regardless of previous convictions or circumstances.
    I was up for it too for having a tyre below the legal limit on the outside edge(barely) but discussing it with the Garda beforehand he agreed to drop to careless driving on a plea deal because it was so minor, I'm not sure if the judge can choose to drop it to a lower charge once it reaches him.

It is viewed in the same eyes as drink driving, i.e. very very serious.

Love Boards..... :-) youse weren't there so you don't know....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Well since he has previous form for speeding it might be difficult to argue that speed wasn't a contributing factor. Even if you get a witness, they can only offer a very subjective guess of the speed he was doing and won't be able to say with any certainty.
    The forensics guys in the Gardai will be able to get a very good idea of the speed of the crash by looking at the damage, length of skid marks and the distance debris was thrown. They being the experts, the court will take their testimony more seriously than a guess by some fella who happened to be on the street.

And just because he wasn't exceeding the speed limit on the road, that doesn't necessarily mean he was driving at a safe speed either.

He should get a good solicitor. He'll need it.

Unless it's a very serious injury or fatal there will be no forensic examination of a collision scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

My granny was convicted of dangerous driving a few years ago, allegedly didn't give way to oncoming traffic and a Civic smashed into her. She didn't see him at all, said he came out of nowhere. Transpired he this was his third involvement in an accident, two others were his fault due to excessive speed but this couldn't be brought up in court.

She was given a driving ban, points and a fine, but in the end she hasn't renewed her license.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Love Boards..... :-) youse weren't there so you don't know....

He was convicted so we do know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

no it wasn't it was late at night on a deserted industrial estate and obviously wasn't dangerous because that charge was dropped,
    Charges dropped is proof that it was without danger now?

drifting across the road on the other hand is very definately dangerous....

Any type of driving has its dangers, even safe driving.

Advertisement