Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who care more for their pets than fellow humans

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

My dog is stupid, he doesn't bark when strangers call to the door.
    At least my cats catch loads of rodents.
    If it wasn't for the wife and kids, my dog would end up like Hansel & Gretel
    Stupid mutt

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭neoB

Hmm, only because my dogs, rabbits and cat seem to be a bit quicker than some people about here. They win, paws down lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Dogs have a strong emotional attachment & understanding, as a neighbour told me a while ago, about an elderly person had passed away & his dog has stayed by the front door since.

The daughter tried to take in the dog in, but always found his way back as she only lives 1/2 km down the road. Have seen it myself in the summer & the dog was there, the house is off the main road, so not much traffic will be passing by, but sad all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭rosedream

Dogs are always loving and accepting. Even when you are in a foul mood, she/he would never leave your side.
    My dog just kept following me around the house one day, sitting with me and looking at me with those brown eyes of his, even though I was in a cranky mood for whatever reason and wanted to be left alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Yeah i know, i had to get my dog a bed for the kitchen, as he kept falling asleep on my feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Love is love, no matter if its a human kind or another!

*Cough*
    rosedream wrote: »
    Dogs are always loving and accepting. Even when you are in a foul mood, she/he would never leave your side.
    My dog just kept following me around the house one day, sitting with me and looking at me with those brown eyes of his, even though I was in a cranky mood for whatever reason and wanted to be left alone.

Probably waiting to get fed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is easy love a dog sure. Servile idiots who never question even your most appaling behaviour. If your dog was honest with you you'd probably resent him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

I've never felt the urge to throw my internet enabled device out the window as a result of something my dog wrote.

Yeah, but have any of us ever come around and sh1t on your carpet, hmm?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yeah, but have any of us ever come around and sh1t on your carpet, hmm?

Shi**ing on the carpet is Better then electing concurrent muppets into government and never learning any lessons of why we end u with useless politicians.

Some Pets are loyal, help people relax and feel like they complete a family or make a home a home. Non pet people can sometimes show the kind of ignorance and obnoxious trait of himans that's exactly why some people find pets easier to love.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Shi**ing on the carpet is Better then electing concurrent muppets into government and never learning any lessons of why we end u with useless politicians.

Some Pets are loyal, help people relax and feel like they complete a family or make a home a home. Non pet people can sometimes show the kind of ignorance and obnoxious trait of himans that's exactly why some people find pets easier to like.

Just as well pets can't vote, cats are evil, vicious and vindictive creatures, give them the vote and Gerry would be high king of Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Dogs have a strong emotional attachment & understanding, as a neighbour told me a while ago, about an elderly person had passed away & his dog has stayed by the front door since.

The daughter tried to take in the dog in, but always found his way back as she only lives 1/2 km down the road. Have seen it myself in the summer & the dog was there, the house is off the main road, so not much traffic will be passing by, but sad all the same.

Maybe that's why the Pharoahs used to have their pets mummified with them :-)

Pets are like humans - you love your own but every other one is to be equally mistrusted and avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just as well pets can't vote, cats are evil, vicious and vindictive creatures, give them the vote and Gerry would be high king of Ireland

I meant real pets like dogs and rabbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Manach wrote: »
    My own response to OP, is that people who do not empathise with animals are the ones to watch out for.
    Yep. The manner in which an individual treats a dumb animal is a pretty good barometer of their character.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Yep. The manner in which an individual treats a dumb animal is a pretty good barometer of their character.

The fact someone would rescue a dumb animal before a human is a better one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

The fact someone would rescue a dumb animal before a human is a better one

Where are these human rescue centres that you speak of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

pragmatic1 wrote: »

A better barometer of ones character is how they treat societies least well off. People are willing to spend hundreds on a dog yet would step over a homeless person on the street. Fuc ked up world.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,082 ✭✭✭✭looksee

KungPao wrote: »
    That's turtles/terrapins...the lads who swim around.

They need tanks...then bigger tanks...and more. NEVER buy if you're a beginner. Terrapins are cheap to buy but a pain to look after.

Tortoises are terrestrial, much easier to care for, but bear in mind you need to have the correct temps and a UVB bulb and learn about what they need for food and nutrition...and it's a lifelong commitment.

But no, no stink.

Love my torts!

Long, long ago when you could easily get tortoises many people had one in the garden. They lived for years and years, but I don't recall any UV lights or special diets?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,082 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Graces7 wrote: »
    Feral cats are wonderful and are in fact victims of human cruelty and negligence.. well done them for thinking of this. I feed feral cats and they do a grand job of keeping vermin down .. but I would not ask for money for this...they need to be neuetered and vets should help free

Why should vets be stuck with all the expense of neutering feral cats? It isn't vets that allow intact cats to breed and produce more feral cats, its irresponsible owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

A better barometer of ones character is how they treat societies least well off. People are willing to spend hundreds on a dog yet would step over a homeless person on the street. Fuc ked up world.

Not really. A homeless person isn't as helpless as an animal. An animal is totally dependent on a human to survive. If a dog is homeless, it's a person at fault. If a person is homeless, they have some degree (varying and some have very little) of responsibility for their own situation and they're also more likely to get out of their situation themselves. A judge of character is far better, in my opinion, on those who treat their those who are completely dependent on them and can give very little in return.
    looksee wrote: »
    Long, long ago when you could easily get tortoises many people had one in the garden. They lived for years and years, but I don't recall any UV lights or special diets?

Different tortoises can tolerate different situations. For example, you cannot feed a horsfield berries but they can tolerate much lower temperatures than other tortoises. They also have to have a good intake of calcium.
    looksee wrote: »
    Why should vets be stuck with all the expense of neutering feral cats? It isn't vets that allow intact cats to breed and produce more feral cats, its irresponsible owners.

In an ideal world, those who owned the cats would take responsibility but if the cats are feral in the first place, what's the chances of that? Living in a world of shoulda, coulda, woulda is fine but it's not going to practically combat the problem. Yeah, it's not very fair on the vet, and yeah the previous owners should neuter but that's not going to happen any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

This thread reminds me of the time my sister in law decided to lecture me on how I should "live with the consequences of my decisions" when I was thinking of giving up one of my dogs that I wasn't able for. This is the same woman who went to the uk for an abortion behind my brothers back because they were only together a year or so. Had to bite my fist for the sake of family unity n all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

macnug wrote: »
    This thread reminds me of the time my sister in law decided to lecture me on how I should "live with the consequences of my decisions" when I was thinking of giving up one of my dogs that I wasn't able for. This is the same woman who went to the uk for an abortion behind my brothers back because they were only together a year or so. Had to bite my fist for the sake of family unity n all.

Let's not turn this into an abortion debate.

Animals rule! Like in south park, otters will rule the world in the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I'd honestly probably save my dog before I'd save a random person if it came to it, zero fuks given because I'm pretty much a misanthropist nowadays. The only people I care for are family and close friends, everyone else can get fuked
    Remind me to never go swimming with you and your dog..

Hypothetical: You're a lifeguard, and whilst on duty both your dog and a stranger are drowning, who do you save first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Manach wrote: »
    people who do not empathise with animals are the ones to watch out for.
    I don't empathise with animals, I grew up in an environment where pets weren't practical & never had one as such (small council flat, no garden etc.) & my mother had all types of allergies.

Does this make me an inherently bad person?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I don't empathise with animals, I grew up in an environment where pets weren't practical & never had one as such (small council flat, no garden etc.) & my mother had all types of allergies.

Does this make me an inherently bad person?

depends what you mean by "can't empathise".

If a dog was limping/hurt, would you ignore it?

How well do you empathise with people in need?
    _______________________________________________________________________________

In general, people who care about animals, also care about other humans.
    Of course it's been turning the other way, as I think..people are just tired of "other people". We live in a world that has little escape, little distance from other humans. In a world where we see people everyday and everywhere we go and yet we don't know our neighbours. There's a distance between "us" (the family unit" )and them. A person is no different than an object.
    Although I don't think the 'us & them' is a modern thing, when you look back to people not having a problem killing others, so long as they are from a different tribe.

so yes, a pet, is clearly going to be of more value than the person you never speak to, never react to, belongs to a "different tribe".

We like to think that as a society we're all one gigantic unit, all the same species and therefore we should all love and care for eachother, but it's not quite like that.
    We care about the smaller units, where we actually mean something.

I won't answer the question of whether I'd rescue a pet or a person, it's an extremely unlikely scenario and it's not something anyone can answer until they're in that situation.

Had a friend mention that their grandparents had a flood. the grandfather was grabbing bottles of wine and the grandmother was shouting "save the ducks" (one of the few animals that were perfectly fine).
    We really can't say how we'll react in a 'panic' situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

If a dog was limping/hurt, would you ignore it?

No I would try & help it as long as it wasn't rabid or aggressive.

How well do you empathise with people in need?

I watched a documentary on the Ebola crisis on BBC the other night, my God, those Médecins Sans Frontières doctors are admirable for their humanity & devotion to duty.

I saw a little 11 month old baby boy pass away after 2 weeks of suffering (RIP), cried half the night, still upsets me now when i think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kim Kardashi Un

In the event of a fire of course I'd be shouting to tell the others but Stabby the scorpion would be the first thing I'd reach for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Dogs never ever judge.

Humans being the a-holes we are judge everyone, it's the very first thing we do when we meet someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭AdFundum

I basically grew up in a zoo - dogs, cats, horses, pigs, goats, donkeys, hens, ducks, rats, gerbils, rabbits, one brother with special needs, a slightly bonkers mother and a slightly bemused father wondering how it all happened. Humans having companion animals is as old as domestication itself. If you really think about it, it is odd and aside from a few conflicted reports on primates, it seems a very human behaviour. I adore my animals. I guess they bring a bit of meaning. I always found it curious how the brother (who is non verbal) always garnered the attentions of the animals, especially the horses and dogs. They just followed him everywhere. It was quite lovely to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭rosedream

Turpentine wrote: »
    *Cough*

Probably waiting to get fed.

Actually no, even when you feed him, he still follows you around. That's how loyal they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Let's not turn this into an abortion debate.

Animals rule! Like in south park, otters will rule the world in the future!

I've not problem with her decision, it was hers to make. I just thought it was hypocritical of her. I do love dogs too, I've got two others just this particular one was very high energy. I re homed her to a neighbour and she has a great life now.

Advertisement