Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who care more for their pets than fellow humans

Options
  • 09-01-2015 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

A friend of mine claims that she loves her dog more than any human being, I've also heard of people valuing their pet's life more than that of a human's life. Is it not bad sign for mankind that we have such little trust or faith in one another that we need to turn to another species to find comfort and acceptance? Don't get me wrong I love my pet goldfish but wouldn't grieve its death like a human loss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Ah, but a goldfish is different to say, a dog! I love my dogs, so much! And yes, I would definitely rate my dogs above many human beings. they are family, without a doubt. if the house was burning down around me they would be the first thing i would save…feck the photographs and phones etc etc.

Animals don;t judge. Actually, maybe cats do! But animals can offer to silent support. they just "know".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

I can understand it, most people to me are annoying and idiots:), that why I use boards to communicate so much as opposed to in the real world :) if I didn't have my brothers sisters and parents, I'd definitly up the ante with surrounding myself with animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I care about my dog more than any of ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

My cat is a better human than most humans I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I've never felt the urge to throw my internet enabled device out the window as a result of something my dog wrote.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

berger89 wrote: »
    Ah, but a goldfish is different to say, a dog! I love my dogs, so much! And yes, I would definitely rate my dogs above many human beings. they are family, without a doubt. if the house was burning down around me they would be the first thing i would save…feck the photographs and phones etc etc.

Animals don;t judge. Actually, maybe cats do! But animals can offer to silent support. they just "know".

I'd like to think so too. the dog is a living creature after all.

However if the house was ablaze and your choice is rescue your dog or your neighbour's child, whats it to be?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I love my dog more than anyone I know.
    That includes my other half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I love my dog more than most humans. A dog becomes a member of the family. Most humans I don't know and will never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

However if the house was ablaze and your choice is rescue your dog or your neighbour's child, whats it to be?

Is the neighbour's child an annoying prick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Do I value my cat's life more than the lives of my fellow humans? Of course not.

Would I rather spend time with my cat than the vast majority of my fellow human beings? Of course.

• Advertisement

Aw jeez, you can't do that to me! It'd be the child for sure but jeez, if I lost my dogs KNOWING that I COULD have saved them….I could never forgive myself.

I'd grab the two of them under my arms!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I'd honestly probably save my dog before I'd save a random person if it came to it, zero fuks given because I'm pretty much a misanthropist nowadays. The only people I care for are family and close friends, everyone else can get fuked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

A dog is the only creature that that loves you more than he loves himself.

"Dogs look up to you. Cats look down on you. Give me a pig any day. He looks you square in the eye as his equal." - Winston Churchill

I'll put it this way, if dogs ruled the world, we'd all be better off..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

A certain local business in my area were offering to donate a sum of money to a local charity and asked for suggestions as to who to donate to on their facebook page

One of the first suggestions was the local search and rescue who have saved countless people who have tried to end their lives in the nearby river.

This was then followed by countless suggestions of some local charity for feral cats. Every single one of these suggestions came from women.

I just couldn't ****ing believe my eyes. Feral ****ing cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

If I was dying of hunger I'd eat all y'alls pets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Is the neighbour's child an annoying prick?

Have you ever known one that wasn't?
    Aw jeez, you can't do that to me! It'd be the child for sure but jeez, if I lost my dogs KNOWING that I COULD have saved them….I could never forgive myself.

I'd grab the two of them under my arms!

Well I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that I saved one of them over the other.

So I'd let them both burn and save the goldfish in the knowledge that it would find a loving home with the OP.

A year later I'd have a new dog and a newly built house in a quieter neighbourhood. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Yes it's all too do with a lack of trust, if we were all 100% comfortable in our skin and more loving of one another, we wouldn't near to turn to our furry friends. I feel sorry for animals as many people use them as backup when they're feeling insecure or have attachment issues. Roy Keane is a classic example of this. A dog or cat will not judge if you've cheated on your wife or murdered someone. Theyre just used as a comforting, reassuring ball of fur.

I'd honestly probably save my dog before I'd save a random person if it came to it, zero fuks given because I'm pretty much a misanthropist nowadays. The only people I care for are family and close friends, everyone else can get fuked

I'm not having a go at you here, but this is why dogs are so much better than people. It's self-fulfilling behaviour of people being @ssholes to others because they think everyone else is an @sshole. You just don't get this with dogs. They don't judge or discriminate, they are loyal to a fault and love unconditionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I'll put it this way, if dogs ruled the world, we'd all be better off..........

Didn't they make a film of that? no doubt a happy tail at the end :P

• Advertisement

A certain local business in my area were offering to donate a sum of money to a local charity and asked for suggestions as to who to donate to on their facebook page

One of the first suggestions was the local search and rescue who have saved countless people who have tried to end their lives in the nearby river.

This was then followed by countless suggestions of some local charity for feral cats. Every single one of these suggestions came from women.

I just couldn't ****ing believe my eyes. Feral ****ing cats.

I saw something similar in a Tesco where they give you a token after you buy your groceries and you put the token in one of three boxes for a charity and (as far as I understand) at the end of the week Tesco donate €1000 between the three charities and the amount each gets depends on how many tokens each charity have gotten. That's all fair enough but what I don't understand is how so many people felt that Lucan and Leixlip Tidy Towns were more deserving of donations than Enable Ireland. I'd say it was split 45% for Lucan Tidy Towns, 40% for Leixlip Tidy Towns and 15% for Enable Ireland. What the actual fuck people?

Sorry for going off topic but I've wanted to get the off my chest for quite a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

nails1 wrote: »
    Yes it's all too do with a lack of trust, if we were all 100% comfortable in our skin and more loving of one another, we wouldn't near to turn to our furry friends. I feel sorry for animals as many people use them as backup when they're feeling insecure or have attachment issues. Roy Keane is a classic example of this. A dog or cat will not judge if you've cheated on your wife or murdered someone. Theyre just used as a comforting, reassuring ball of fur.

Roy Keane has a wife and five children... But you saw him walking his dogs on the news one time, yeah? So therefore he cares more about dogs than people? Rather than you know, he's a guy that cares about his wife, and his kids, and his family, and his friends, AND cares for his dogs and takes them for walks so they don't have to sh1t where they sleep? And everyone else that likes their pet is the same? Through some bizarre nonsensical feat of twisted magic this means they have no humans around them, feel insecure, and are worried about being judged so use the pets as comfort and don't really care about them either?

You're an imbecile.*

*Unless you were being delightfully sarcastic and satirical (it's often hard to tell), in which case, nicely played. ;)

Didn't they make a film of that? no doubt a happy tail at the end :P

Woof woof woof

I saw something similar in a Tesco where they give you a token after you buy your groceries and you put the token in one of three boxes for a charity and (as far as I understand) at the end of the week Tesco donate €1000 between the three charities and the amount each gets depends on how many tokens each charity have gotten. That's all fair enough but what I don't understand is how so many people felt that Lucan and Leixlip Tidy Towns were more deserving of donations than Enable Ireland. I'd say it was split 45% for Lucan Tidy Towns, 40% for Leixlip Tidy Towns and 15% for Enable Ireland. What the actual fuck people?

Sorry for going off topic but I've wanted to get the off my chest for quite a while.

Bloody hell..that's shocking.
    But how come they didn't have 3 different organisations? I know in our local one, one time they had the local ISPCA, the local boxing club, and then the care home for old folks-3 really different groups. Strange that firstly they have Tidy Towns groups but to have 2 the same time, thats just stupid. Countless other more worthy groups out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

A person I work with has loads of dogs and two babies - four hundred million feckin' pictures of dogs, her dogs, other peoples dogs, sad dogs, rescue dogs, happy dogs...
    and maybe two pictures of her own children and the stupid dogs are in the photo too.

I just feel lousy for her kids, they obviously play second fiddle to her beloved dogs - I actually wonder if one of them took a bite out of one of her kids would she blame the kid for the dog having to be put down or would she give the kids up for adoption instead!

Boggles my mind how humans could do that top their own offspring.:confused:

Bloody hell..that's shocking.
    But how come they didn't have 3 different organisations? I know in our local one, one time they had the local ISPCA, the local boxing club, and then the care home for old folks-3 really different groups. Strange that firstly they have Tidy Towns groups but to have 2 the same time, thats just stupid. Countless other more worthy groups out there

But clearly (and unfortunately) there was demand to provide resources to these causes over ones that you and I consider more worthy.
    nails1 wrote: »

Another great quality in dogs that makes them much more likeable than people, is that they wag their tales and not their tongues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Most people are more concerned with their dogs than humans. Take a certain dog shelter in North county Dublins. Its really large, modern and clean. Yet a ton of homeless problem are sleeping on the streets of Dublin. Those that are fortunate to spend a night in a shelter, are sleeping in worse conditions than the dogs. But most people dont give a ****.

I found it mildly ****ed up that people protest outside a fur shop in Dublin every weekend. But no ever protests outside the embassies of oppressive governments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

A person I work with has loads of dogs and two babies - four hundred million feckin' pictures of dogs, her dogs, other peoples dogs, sad dogs, rescue dogs, happy dogs...
    and maybe two pictures of her own children and the stupid dogs are in the photo too.

I just feel lousy for her kids, they obviously play second fiddle to her beloved dogs - I actually wonder if one of them took a bite out of one of her kids would she blame the kid for the dog having to be put down or would she give the kids up for adoption instead!

Boggles my mind how humans could do that top their own offspring.:confused:

have you any genuine reason to think any of that :confused:

Btw I'd gladly spend hours in the company of my dogs, but there's few humans I'd feel the same about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

PucaMama wrote: »
    have you any genuine reason to think any of that :confused:

Btw I'd gladly spend hours in the company of my dogs, but there's few humans I'd feel the same about

Even your own children?? That's kind of messed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I think that if someone was driving a car and had to either drive over a baby or an animal , most people would steer towards the animal .

This would be a "worst case" kinda thing . But if you asked a number of people would you prefer to spend 24 hrs locked in a room with a person or a puppy ?? The majority would choose a puppy ..

Advertisement