Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how well do you deal with authority?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

I never did well with authority. As far as I'm concerned the only person who can tell me what to do is my mother.

It's a juvenile outlook but I could just never stand the thought of anyone being "over me" and telling me what to do.

So, you're a mama's boy then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

It would help if those people with authority acted like normal human beings which is exactly what they are. Instead they choose to abuse their power and go on frequent power trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Depends on your definition of authority. I now question everything. Some "authorities" act like bullies. I no longer jump when I am told to jump. Not by anyone. NO is a great word. so is why?. There is not any automatic compliance. Especially doctors. Too much damage because I did not question. With the Gardai it is usually common sense but when a justified complaint has been ignored by them I go over their heads to their superiors. I know someone here who is totally brainwashed to obey any and every authority who claims that place. His life is a mess. If you do not stand up for yourself you deserve what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It all depends really..

I abide by the rules.. don't break the laws, pay my taxes etc but I have little tolerance for muppetry or incompetence. As such I've had many a row with the Keystone Cops brigade we call a police force in this country (but it has been balanced against some good, productive interactions as well), and when I was out of work for a year I had many more arguments with those who are "supposed" to support you while you get back to work, but instead treat you like some sort of waster scum for daring to bother them or claim the money you've been paying for for years before that.

I certainly don't accept authority blindly or "just cause" - especially not in this country with it's "make it up as we go"/"ah shure it'll be grand"/"it depends who you get or who you know" approaches to pretty much everything!

Advertisement