Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how well do you deal with authority?

Options
  • 09-01-2015 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

in your dealings with authority in everyday life, do you welcome it or question it? does it sit well with you? being told what to do, when you can do it etc.

I welcome it within reason. those who abuse authority deserve a kick up the hole though. i understand there has to be rules in some social settings, but again, within reason.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

F*ck the Po - lice. Rebel 4eva.

My tax is out 4 weeks - they can't handle my badness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Doesn't really bother me.

Nobody has authority over my mind which is what I value most.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I welcome it, usher it inside, sit it in an armchair and ask it how it's day went while offering it tea and some bic-bics. Then I sneak up behind and garotte it with a cable-tie. Cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I don't do well with it at all,never have, probably part of the reason I ended up as part of an anarchist collective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Not well. Sometimes I wish I did better with it to be honest. There's advantages to being able to hear someone tell you to do something rather than ask you to and not immediately have to tell them to stick a hedgehog up their ass. But you play the hand you're dealt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

I don't do well with it at all,never have, probably part of the reason I ended up as part of an anarchist collective

You joined the Labour party?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I'm the type who sits and takes it and then plays it back in my head later and thinks 'ah ****, I should have done this or said that' haha

Particularly if I'm stopped at a check point and the guard is being rude or whatever.

It depends on the authority in question, and how much respect I have for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,686 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I tend to treat authority how I treat my razor blades. I know they're going to be sharp to a point but when they pull blunt on me I'm all ' heyyy mannn why you so hostile to my face broooo?' And it doesn't care...because its a razor blade after all, and its got its own problems.
    Life's tough for razor blades on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I was told in school that I have a personality type that doesn't respect or adhere to authority. That's probably why I used to get into trouble so much ib school.

I have no problem with real authority figures like Gardai or airport security etc. I have no time for people with fake authority though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

If authority cannot provide a succinct explanation as to why it is legitimate then it should be questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

I constantly have problems with authority. I don't follow rules very well. I question too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

F*ck the Po - lice. Rebel 4eva.

My tax is out 4 weeks - they can't handle my badness.

Bet you've had her parked up for four weeks, and are using the bus.

Keyboard thug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I mildly resent it at times but I think most of the railing against authority is just juvenile posturing, very few people actually do anything in anyway serious to challenge the authority they supposedly can't handle.
    For example those that rail against petty office tyrants and so on, if you hate it so much get a job where people are sounder and you don't stick in one company for long anyway (e.g be poor like me :( )
    Unless you like money more than you hate authority which is my point about it being posturing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

masti123 wrote: »
    I constantly have problems with authority. I don't follow rules very well. I question too much.

Its authority that has the problem with you then. Authority hates questions.

Try and follow the rules but if they don't make sense, try and change them.

Never ever stop asking questions. If you do they have you beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I understand that authority is needed, and for most part, totally agree with it and have no problems sticking to laws and any rules an establishment has set up. In some cases, I think some rules or laws are pointless, and I will break them provided I feel it's doing no harm and I'll get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I never did well with authority. As far as I'm concerned the only person who can tell me what to do is my mother.

It's a juvenile outlook but I could just never stand the thought of anyone being "over me" and telling me what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

K4t wrote: »
    Doesn't really bother me.

Nobody has authority over my mind which is what I value most.

It might be your mind that is in control of your doing, but we all know that prison can change that taught process in a flash. Most folk won't break the law because the thought of prison makes them shiver as the freedom of yourself and mind is gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I perform free oral sex just for the coffees alone.

What's the name of that coffee shop ?

• Advertisement

In work, you miss the point entirely. Coffee shops are not the only place that serve orally received coffees.

masti123 wrote: »
    I can't think of a better attitude to have towards authority.
    It might be your mind that is in control of your doing, but we all know that prison can change that taught process in a flash. Most folk won't break the law because the thought of prison makes them shiver as the freedom of yourself and mind is gone.
    I don't think most people obey the law because of the threat of prison.

Ah I see. Authority when it is upon you, you deal with it by performing free oral sex just for the coffees alone.

Got ye.

Depends on how the person with the authority users it. I've never met so many power hungry, manipulative, lying cnuts than when I worked in retail. It breeds a special kind of management that is unsurpassed when it comes to being complete dicks.
    Ever since leaving retail it's been grand. I'll never go back.

K4t wrote: »
    I can't think of a better attitude to have towards authority.

I don't think most people obey the law because of the threat of prison.

Well, for a person to think of losing their freedom... I think it's a high point in their thoughts.

Ah I see. Authority when it is upon you, you deal with it by performing free oral sex just for the coffees alone.

Got ye.
    ?

Well, for a person to think of losing their freedom... I think it's a high point in their thoughts.
    The threat of prison only becomes real when you intend to break the law.

eternal wrote: »
    ?

Just joking :)

I've no problem with authority if it makes complete sense, as to respect other folk equally in a civilised society.

Unjust authority laws I have no interest in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

jonny666 wrote: »
    I'm the type who sits and takes it and then plays it back in my head later and thinks 'ah ****, I should have done this or said that' haha

Particularly if I'm stopped at a check point and the guard is being rude or whatever.

I do that with women after I've repeatly failed to seize the day 😄

Advertisement