Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Solidarity for Charlie Hebdo?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

They satirise all versions of god and organised religion, as well as politics etc.

That doesn't really matter though.

Just going to insult a broader spectrum of people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

thelad95 wrote: »
    There isn't a proper opinion being expressed, just trying to create a joke.

Yeah there is. At the end of the day, its illogical and stupid to be offended by a simple drawing of a person. Just because your religion told you you were supposed to be offended by it.

Its even crazier to be angry by it. And at its worst think its ok to kill over it.

This kinda of thinking is dated uncivilised and barbaric. So making cartoons to protest that kind of thinking is the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Agreed, I'm thinking of wearing my satirical "Rape victims are sluts" t-shirt to work tomorrow in solidarity. Freedom of speech right?

Yep, and your employer will have the freedom to sack you for acting like a tool. And everyone will have the freedom to dislike you for acting like a tool. You're unlikely to be gunned down by rape victims though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

thelad95 wrote: »
    While there is no justification for killing people in cold blood, those cartoons were always kicking a hornets nest. I don't see how satire relates to freedom of speech either. There isn't a proper opinion being expressed, just trying to create a joke.

Satire actually holds a special position in the free speech laws of quite a few nations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Solidarity with Charlie Hedbo for freedom of speech?

The same rag that sacked someone for mocking Israeli war crimes on the basis of alleged anti-semitism?

That hate filled rag has no respect for free speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Some great ones but another thread on this, really?

What about Boko Haram's atrocities the past few days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Merging these two threads.

Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Oh dear God/Muhammad/Elvis whatever. So what your saying is that if a victim of sexual abuse say me wearing me t-shirt they should more happy than offended because I have the freedom to do so.

I'm not going to take this argument any further as it's getting ridiculous.

Since you're going on about it so much, prove that you possess such a t-shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Solidarity with Charlie Hedbo for freedom of speech?

The same rag that sacked someone for mocking Israeli war crimes on the basis of alleged anti-semitism?

That hate filled rag has no respect for free speech.

Charlie Hebdo have the right to hire and fire who they wish. Or perhaps you think that should be a shooting offence too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

keith16 wrote: »
    I don't get your point.

Yesterday was not the time to publish cartoons as an act of solidarity. To do so would have been a knee-jerk, emotive reaction.

Papers all over the World published the same picture of that policeman, not just Irish ones.

My understanding of all other papers printing the cartoons is as an act of defiance to the gunmen.

It is saying, if you try to silence one person everybody else will speak out instead. As somebody else posted above.. The result is that more people than ever have now seen the cartoons which is the opposite of what the gunmen wanted.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Why didn't every media outlet in Europe publish the Charlie Hebdo cartoons yesterday as a defiant act of solidarity for those that died and to show we take our freedom of speach seriously?I understand that the cartoons may upset some but they don't injure anybody.

Why not air ongoing episodes of the black and white minstrels while you at it?
    They're a humiliating insult to black men and women everywhere but they don't injure anyone.
    Sure, go ahead, insult people just for the heck of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Why didn't every media outlet in Europe publish the Charlie Hebdo cartoons yesterday as a defiant act of solidarity for those that died and to show we take our freedom of speach seriously?I understand that the cartoons may upset some but they don't injure anybody.

Because the lead media has for years been suppressing dissent against current political doctrine for years; modern lead print and television media is now almost defined by it's ::lack:: of freedom of speech. Have a read of Gekaufte Journalisten.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I wonder is there any way to purchase a copy here, would be a great way to show some solidarity.

Solidarity?

You realise that Sarkozy has already met with Hollande to draw up plans for tighter restrictions of freedom across the EU:

http://www.franceinfo.fr/actu/politique/article/sarkozy-demande-hollande-d-augmenter-le-niveau-de-fermete-et-de-vigilance-628421

(Don't know how your French is but you can get it translated). Someone is already capitalising on the killings.

You may not like Muslims but deliberately insulting them just for the hell of it doesn't show any kind of maturity at all. And if you think that this is satire:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6v_NDuCMAAhoMZ.jpg

("No terrorist attacks in France? We have until the end of january to send our best wishes")

Charlie Hebdo has been in the business of insulting Muslims just to sell magazines for years.
    If you think I'm condoning the murder of the employess, think again, but if I walked into Harlem and started calling every person I saw a nigger, spook, wog, etc., or into a Travellers' halting site and started calling them all knackers, or around the neighbourhoods of Miami calling them all filthy greasy daygo spicks and then taunted them with "well, whatchya gonna do about it?" and got the shit kicked out of me or killed, there are very few who would sympathise except some racist assholes who think that deliberately baiting, badgering and insulting people is freedom of speech.

And it's not just Muslims who are so easily offended. In Britain there were death threats, over 50,000 complaints and a call for the banning of "Jerry Springer, The Opera" by Christian groups because of the depiction of Jesus Christ in a nappy amongst other things. Some of those who were venting their rage on air would be the very same people who would eagerly applaud Charlie Hebdo for their "right" to insult Muslims as "free speech".

Political satire is one thing but Charlie Hebdo wasn't about satire anymore. It was piss-taking to stir it up and it backfired.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

[QUOTE= It was piss-taking to stir it up and it backfired.[/QUOTE]

So reckon you shag goats, so now you can call around and kill me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

They satirise all versions of god and organised religion, as well as politics etc.

All religions don't have equal standing in every country. Taking the piss out of one is not necessarily the same as taking the piss out of another.

Terrible tragedy all the same and the backlash that many Muslims living in France are going to/have already been on the end of is terrible to read.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why didn't every media outlet in Europe publish the Charlie Hebdo cartoons yesterday as a defiant act of solidarity for those that died and to show we take our freedom of speach seriously?
    Because they are too busy giving terrorists the oxygen of publicity.

How many Journalists were killed because the media went into a feeding frenzy over beheadings ?

And all the copycat killers or suicides after high profile events.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Publish that cartoon on Boards and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

fiachr_a wrote: »

Didn't somebody already do that on the other thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Nothing is more important than freedom of expression and the right to be able to say something that somebody else might not like. That is why we live in a progressive society. If we lose this freedom whether through fear or legislation it would have massive impact for the ability for society to grow and learn.

The only reason our progressive societies progress is because we have the freedom to question the people who came before us or those that are currently in power. If we never questioned things that in their time were unquestionable like whether the world was really flat or should women be allowed to vote, etc., we would be still stuck in the Middle Ages where these extremists want us to stay.

People forget how important the Renaissance was taking us out of the Middle Ages and into a more civilized modern era. Art was a great way for people to express what they see in their society and ask questions. Leonardo DaVinci, Michelangelo and others used to subtlety mock the powers of the time like the Catholic Church and have people turn against their oppressive power.

Unfortunately, a lot of people still read books written 1000's of years ago word for word and believe that they are relevant today and we should be living like we were a 1000 years ago, not progressing or learning with order maintained.

I'm very disappointed no news outlet posted the cartoons. It wasn't just the journalists in that office in Paris that were attacked but it was every journalist in the world. Freedom of expression and the ability to report news without the threat of persecution is what Journalism is otherwise your a re just a PR writer for propaganda. The media outlets don't have to agree with the content of the images but the message of freedom is bigger than that.

I think this picture is very poignant: http://media.cagle.com/205/2015/01/08/158433_600.jpg

We are slowly losing our freedom of expression because we are afraid of what extremists will do, throwing away the sacrifices of millions of our ancestors fought so hard for.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

fiachr_a wrote: »

There's 2 pages full of Muhammad comics and cartoons in the A&A humor thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Why didn't every media outlet in Europe publish the Charlie Hebdo cartoons yesterday as a defiant act of solidarity for those that died and to show we take our freedom of speach seriously?
    Because they disagree with gratuitously offending minorities?

Just because the right to offend is crucial to a democratic society, it does not mean that there is a duty to offend, nor to appropriate controversial political opinions with which you disagree, in support of those who have been silenced.

If I were murdered for gratuitously publishing the word Nígger, should the Irish media run Nígger headlines in my defence?

Should people march down O'Connell street carrying banners that read Nígger?

That would be an absurd distortion of freedom of expression.

conorh91 wrote: »
    Because they disagree with gratuitously offending minorities?

Just because the right to offend is crucial to a democratic society, it does not mean that there is a duty to offend, nor to appropriate controversial political opinions with which you disagree, in support of those who have been silenced.

If I were murdered for gratuitously publishing the word Nígger, should the Irish media run Nígger headlines in my defence?

Should people march down O'Connell street carrying banners that read Nígger?

That would be an absurd distortion of freedom of expression.

The freedom of media outlets to post these cartoons is much more important than the content of the cartoons.

Hazys wrote: »
    The freedom of media outlets to post these cartoons is much more important than the content of the cartoons.
    What are you saying? That the media should run the offensive headlines in my hypothetical example?

What are you saying? That the media should run the offensive headlines in my hypothetical example?

Yes because its not about the actual word, its about the freedom of expression.

Hazys wrote: »
    Yes because its not about the actual word, its about the freedom of expression.
    And what about people marching down O'Connell Street, holding banners that say "Nígger".

Using my example, and ignoring any legal restrictions, you believe this would be a wise reaction to the murder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

And what about people marching down O'Connell Street, holding banners that say "Nígger".
    No problem, as long as they don't break the law.
    Using my example, and ignoring any legal restrictions, you believe this would be a wise reaction to the murder?
    That's the beauty, it's under no obligation to be wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Egginacup wrote: »
    It was piss-taking to stir it up and it backfired.

Good title for your memoirs.

• Advertisement

K4t wrote: »
    it's under no obligation to be wise.
    You have missed the point.

It is axiomatic that newspaper editors and private individuals should never publish statements or carry banners which they consider to be unwise or unreasonable.

Therefore my question is this:

In my hypothetical example, is it wise or reasonable to carry banners that say "Nígger"?

Advertisement