Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Solidarity for Charlie Hebdo?

Options
  • 08-01-2015 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Why didn't every media outlet in Europe publish the Charlie Hebdo cartoons yesterday as a defiant act of solidarity for those that died and to show we take our freedom of speach seriously?I understand that the cartoons may upset some but they don't injure anybody.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Why didn't every media outlet in Europe publish the Charlie Hebdo cartoons yesterday as a defiant act of solidarity for those that died and to show we take our freedom of speach seriously?I understand that the cartoons may upset some but they don't injure anybody.

While there is no justification for killing people in cold blood, those cartoons were always kicking a hornets nest. I don't see how satire relates to freedom of speech either. There isn't a proper opinion being expressed, just trying to create a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Tell that to the people in the Building yesterday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

thelad95 wrote: »
    While there is no justification for killing people in cold blood, those cartoons were always kicking a hornets nest. I don't see how satire relates to freedom of speech either. There isn't a proper opinion being expressed, just trying to create a joke.

Its political satire, people have a right to question what's going on in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

While there is no justification for killing people in cold blood,
    Agreed.
    those cartoons were always kicking a hornets nest.
    Brilliant. More please.
    I don't see how satire relates to freedom of speech either. There isn't a proper opinion being expressed, just trying to create a joke.
    And we all know jokes are provocation for murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Probably in fear. Which just feeds into the hands if those considering this in the future

Media has successfully sent out the message that they can be bullied into anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

Google have sponserd Charlie Hebdo 250000 euro they are going to print 1 million copies of the magazine with help from cartoonists from around the world

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I wonder is there any way to purchase a copy here, would be a great way to show some solidarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Showing the cartoons aren't the only way of showing solidarity. Many of them gave messages in support. If that's as far as they wish to go, that's their own business.

It's laughable, given all that's happened, the level of criticism some of the Irish media outlets are getting for exercising their freedom of expression by not showing such cartoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Lots of TV channels broadcasting with "JE SUIS CHARLIE" or a special black mark across their logo in France ... Nice to see such solidarity in the name of free speech. Canal+, TF1, France televisions, Bein Sport, M6 to name just a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

The greatest irony is, that by their terrorist act of barbarity in the name of their religion, that they have proven the point that the Danish cartoonist was originally trying to make.

It appears to be lost on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Debtocracy

But what if they had an overweight cat with dollar signs for eyes and a hat that says social security pouring a bucket that said alternative minimum tax over a sad statue of liberty holding a democracy umbrella.

I wonder is there any way to purchase a copy here, would be a great way to show some solidarity.

They will be in high demand I'd imagine , they said every paper in Paris was sold today that contained the cartoons

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

In a multi-denominational society we're supposed to live together , and respect others' right.

Taking the p!ss out of, or belittling somebody else's God is not a very nice thing to do, in my opinion.

It's stirring a hornet's nest and frankly a cheap way to sell a few extra papers being controversial.

Obviously the murderers are a million times worse, let's hope it's not long until the police track them down

irishfeen wrote: »
    Lots of TV channels broadcasting with "JE SUIS CHARLIE" or a special black mark across their logo in France ... Nice to see such solidarity in the name of free speech. Canal+, TF1, France televisions, Bein Sport, M6 to name just a few.

Google has a black ribbon too on their search page

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This should be an annual event.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dont call me Shirley

In a multi-denominational society we're supposed to live together , and respect others' right.

Taking the p!ss out of, or belittling somebody else's God is not a very nice thing to do, in my opinion.

It's stirring a hornet's nest and frankly a cheap way to sell a few extra papers being controversial.

Obviously the murderers are a million times worse, let's hope it's not long until the police track them down

Agreed, I'm thinking of wearing my satirical "Rape victims are sluts" t-shirt to work tomorrow in solidarity. Freedom of speech right?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They satirise all versions of god and organised religion, as well as politics etc.

Agreed, I'm thinking of wearing my satirical "Rape victims are sluts" t-shirt to work tomorrow in solidarity. Freedom of speech right?
    It is your right, as it should be.

And if you truly do believe what is written on your shirt, then I'm sure people would be happier knowing you held those views rather than remaining blissfully unaware.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Irish papers were happy to run with the image of the policeman lying on the ground begging for his life... They wouldn't print the cartoons as they might offend, Hmm.

You have that right. Go right ahead. Post pics.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    You have that right. Go right ahead. Post pics.

Do you want the t-shirt pics or the pics of me in hospital?

Do you want the t-shirt pics or the pics of me in hospital?

Neither. Obviously...

K4t wrote: »
    It is your right, as it should be.

And if you truly do believe what is written on your shirt, then I'm sure people would be happier knowing you held those views rather than remaining blissfully unaware.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. If i follow correctly I think what you're saying is that we should all be happy to be aware of the views of every nasty, twisted asshole regardless of how offensive or hurtful that might be?

I just do not see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The amount of people who'll see/have seen the cartoons over the next few will be absolutely massive compared to the number who seen them before.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. If i follow correctly I think what you're saying is that we should all be happy to be aware of the views of every nasty, twisted asshole regardless of how offensive or hurtful that might be?
    Yes, in an ideal world. You've summed it up quite well.

Yes, in an ideal world. You've summed it up quite well.

Oh dear God/Muhammad/Elvis whatever. So what your saying is that if a victim of sexual abuse say me wearing me t-shirt they should more happy than offended because I have the freedom to do so.

I'm not going to take this argument any further as it's getting ridiculous.

Oh dear God/Muhammad/Elvis whatever. So what your saying is that if a victim of sexual abuse say me wearing me t-shirt they should more happy than offended because I have the freedom to do so.

I'm not going to take this argument any further as it's getting ridiculous.
    Should be happy that you have the freedom to wear the shirt? Of course.

The shirt itself probably wouldn't fill the person with joy.

Should be happy that you have the freedom to wear the shirt? Of course.

The shirt itself probably wouldn't fill the person with joy.

Cough, backtracking a little are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

mloc123 wrote: »
    Irish papers were happy to run with the image of the policeman lying on the ground begging for his life... They wouldn't print the cartoons as they might offend, Hmm.

I don't get your point.

Yesterday was not the time to publish cartoons as an act of solidarity. To do so would have been a knee-jerk, emotive reaction.

Papers all over the World published the same picture of that policeman, not just Irish ones.

• Advertisement

Cough, backtracking a little are we?
    Not at all. I could care less about your imaginary person's happiness. As is my right. I made my point clearly. Address it or stop wasting my time.

Advertisement